Tesla Wall Connector for CyberTruck -- get Gen 3 now or wait for Gen 4?

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
I would like to get the input of members. I would like to get a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 installed. My question is, do you think it is ok to get the Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 now for the CyberTruck or is it better to wait closer to launch to see if a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 4 is released?
Sponsored

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
It depends if you are in a construction or remodeling phase now. If yes, then it makes sense to add the Wall Connector now.

If you are not then there is no hurry to add one now as we are around a year out from the CT production ramp where early reservation holders start getting their trucks. (yes I know that initial production will likely start this summer but it will be a slow ramp before any meaningful production is met)

Here are also a couple of qualifying questions for you.
1) How early of a reservation do you have?
2) Which version are you interested in buying?

Since we do not know for sure which version will be at launch, the version you are wanting could possibly be pushed out until later in 2024 or further beyond.

OP
OP

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
Here are also a couple of qualifying questions for you.
1) How early of a reservation do you have?
2) Which version are you interested in buying?
1) I ordered the second reservations opened and my number is below the 700's
2) I will buy which ever version is released first

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I would like to get the input of members. I would like to get a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 installed. My question is, do you think it is ok to get the Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 now for the CyberTruck or is it better to wait closer to launch to see if a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 4 is released?
no point buying an outlet without knowing the max onboard charger capacity . We’re offering a unit now that can needs a 100A breaker and delivers 80A. Gen 3 is on a 60A delivering a max of 48A

if the onboard charger on the CT is still just 11kW that’s fine but otherwise you’re missing a lot of time savings

OP
OP

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
no point buying an outlet without knowing the max onboard charger capacity . We’re offering a unit now that can needs a 100A breaker and delivers 80A. Gen 3 is on a 60A delivering a max of 48A

if the onboard charger on the CT is still just 11kW that’s fine but otherwise you’re missing a lot of time savings
What is the unit that needs 100A breaker and delivers 80A?
Is it the ClipperCreek CS-100?

Last edited:

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I asked this question a while back and was told the Gen 3 was the way to go... do you really think they will make a new version this soon? Maybe a year after release to see how things hold up to existing gear?!?

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
If they make a new version of the Wall Connector, it may not be just because of the power output. It may also have additional features, such as Vehicle-to-Home or Vehicle-to-Grid connectivity and the associated safety / protection features. That may be worth waiting for, if you're interested in those features...

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
You can also buy a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector, since that supports 80A charging output (with a 100A breaker and circuit). Most Teslas can't make full use of that output and I think that's why Tesla didn't make the Gen 3 go that high, but there are a few older Model S and X with dual chargers that can make use of it. We don't know for sure yet, but perhaps the Cybertruck will also be able to charger at a higher rate.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I wouldn't run wires for anything yet. I'd suggest waiting until we find out the L2 charging specs for CyberTruck first.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
What is the unit that needs 100A breaker and delivers 80A?
Is it the ClipperCreek CS-100?
we’ve been installing BLINK chargers for a long time.

we are also in final testing for several brands, ( 100A and even 120A circuits) several I can’t name and some I can, like Charge Point or Sol-Ark They will be limited release in Q3 and wide release Q1 24.

thebenefits to going with a great non tesla brand like those above and several others .
One, having had dozens of brands opened up before, some are better built and/or easier /safer to wire correctly.
two, not being stuck in the ecosystem and charging friends non tesla vehicles
Three, if you want or eventually want to a 2nd, third or even fourth charger on the same circuit the top end amperage matters even more

me personally I’m hoping for dual onboard 11.7kW chargers. If thats the case, 120A circuit will be required to safely achieve the top speed, that would half the charging time vs the gen 3 wall connector.

Last edited:

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You can still install a GEN3 with the 60A but with wire gauge sufficient for 100A. This way you are all set with charging today and if you ever have the opportunity/need to upgrade you could just swap out the GEN3+60A for a another charger with up to 100A. Just make sure the electriction knows you intend to install a 100A in the future so they can upgrade your other wireing/service if needed.

CyberExperience

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon, Chevy, Porsche , BMW GS, SeaBreezeLX
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
A 100amp charger must require some serious electrical panel upgrades. Not sure most homes have an extra 68/80/100 amps of excess capacity.
Sponsored