This is Hilarious : "Ford Keeps Laughing at Tesla..."

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-keeps-laughing-at-tesla-cybertruck-delays

Let me sum it up, Ford has 160,000 F150L Reservations, CT over 1 Million.
Ford plans to make 20k in 2022, and 50k in 2023, 80k in 2024. CT starts next year as well, "volume in 2023" (I'm assuming thats 5k per week?, that's 260k, but hey lets half it 130k in 2023, 260k in 2024).

So.... CT has more than 6X reservations (the counter is much higher than that). F150L will build 150k+ in 3 years (their current reservations). CT in that same time (3 year average with estimates) will build well over 455k (65k 2022, 130k 2023, 260k 2024) and still have reservations to fill.

As I said, it's hilarious lol.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-keeps-laughing-at-tesla-cybertruck-delays

Let me sum it up, Ford has 160,000 F150L Reservations, CT over 1 Million.
Ford plans to make 20k in 2022, and 50k in 2023, 80k in 2024. CT starts next year as well, "volume in 2023" (I'm assuming thats 5k per week?, that's 260k, but hey lets half it 130k in 2023, 260k in 2024).

So.... CT has more than 6X reservations (the counter is much higher than that). F150L will build 150k+ in 3 years (their current reservations). CT in that same time (3 year average with estimates) will build well over 455k (65k 2022, 130k 2023, 260k 2024) and still have reservations to fill.

As I said, it's hilarious lol.
I’ve long since given up on any traditional “Auto” media reporting remotely fairly about Tesla.

When you are biased, it’s easy to look at 2 companies and take everyone one says with a grain of salt and everything the other says with a bit of optimism. The whole narrative that Ford is going to get an extra 100 miles on a charge has gone around the world 500 times now based on bias and YouTubers hoping to curry favor to get access.

Best solution: Don’t read anything about Tesla from these sites.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If Ford didn't have massively over-expensive dealerships, UAW entanglements, and billions budgeted for media advertising, they'd likely be able to build at least twice those numbers. These self-strangling aspects of their business model, reduce both margins and substance of their vehicles deliverable to consumers - a lose-lose process that also constrains innovation as well.

OP
OP
myrickma

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
I’ve long since given up on any traditional “Auto” media reporting remotely fairly about Tesla.

When you are biased, it’s easy to look at 2 companies and take everyone one says with a grain of salt and everything the other says with a bit of optimism. The whole narrative that Ford is going to get an extra 100 miles on a charge has gone around the world 500 times now based on bias and YouTubers hoping to curry favor to get access.

Best solution: Don’t read anything about Tesla from these sites.
Oh I know, but I couldn't help myself with that title lol.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This article is absolutely insane. Completely nonsensical. OMG.

Ford Keeps Laughing At Tesla Cybertruck Delays
NOV 5, 2021BY JAY TRAUGOTT
The latest F-150 Lightning reservation count is here.
OK, so I'm expecting to have some story about how Ford Lightning production is doing better than Tesla Cybertruck.

The Ford F-150 Lightning is the future of the entire F-Series lineup. Eventually, all of these hot-selling trucks will become fully electrified. No exact date has been set but it will happen. In the meantime, the F-150 Lightning has a lot to prove and Ford knows it.
Sounds like For is starting from a position of weakness. Having a lot to prove.
And the good news is that it has plenty of takers.
So in spite of the weak starting position, there are apparently lots of people wanting a Ford Lightning.
It's been a while since we've received an update regarding the reservation count, which was last at around 150,000.
So way back "a while" there were 150,000 orders for Ford Lightning. Since they are going to update us now, I wonder what the number could be. I mean Cybertruck as well over 1,000,000 (it's actually way higher but many people say the numbers will drop out when it's time to actually pony up the $$). So let's see what the numbers for Lightning are. Apparently Ford is laughing at Tesla so it's probably incredibly high. Maybe 1,500,000? What do you think?
Thanks to a Twitter account known for uncovering accurate information that has posted a reservation update, the Lightning Owners fan forum has learned that the Blue Oval has received over 160,000 reservations and counting.
Wait, what? Are they missing a zero at the end? Are you saying that in the last "while" (unspecified time frame but implies that it is a medium to long time) there have only been an additional 10,000 new orders? It was 150,000 but now it's 160,000? And this is positive news? This is somehow reason for Ford to laugh at Tesla?
Now, it's important to remind everyone that these aren't firm orders.
Wait, even though this is a news story about a measly 10,000 new orders, you are not telling me that the 10,000 orders are not even firm? From the get-go these are not firm orders?
Well, if someone on Twitter said it then it must be 100% true.
It's up to dealers to convert these reservations, which only require a $100 refundable deposit, into real orders.
OK, so not only are you saying that the orders are not firm, but getting the orders to be actual firm orders is not even within the grasp of Ford? There is nothing Ford can do to solidify the orders? So they are totally depending on how well the various Ford dealerships can get themselves educated on the new product and can get motivated to do a good job selling the Lightning over the ICE trucks that they already know and love?
Thing is, Ford only plans to build around 20,000 units for the 2022 model year.
Wait, what? So even though Ford has no control over the measly small number of orders involved, they have decided to go all-in and build only 20,000 units the first year? And that first year will be 2022? Do you mean to tell me that one of the big advantages Ford has been bragging about having is that they will be producing Ford Lightning well before the Cybertruck comes out but the Lightning isn't actually coming out till 2022, the same as Cybertruck? Say Ford really gets on the stick and starts getting the Lightning out early in the 2022 year. So they beat the Cybertruck to market by a few months. But there are only maybe 160,000 people total that may or may not be serious about possibly buying a Lightning maybe. And the dealerships will have to sift through those to find the first 20,000 of them who will be privileged enough to actually be given a VIN for a Lightning build next year. Meanwhile, by the end of the year, the Cybertruck production line will start up and do everything it can to start putting out enough trucks to someday get caught up to over 1,000,000 orders. I don't have projected Cybertruck production rate numbers but you can bet that it's WAY above 20,000 per year.
This will increase to at least 50,000 for 2023,
And Cybertruck will be much higher than 50,000 per year.
and 80,000 by 2024.
And much higher than 80,000 per year.
Chances are fairly high over 20,000 orders will come from those reservations, and that means some buyers will have to wait until at least 2023 for delivery.
I thought the point of this article was that Ford was laughing about how long Cybertruck preorders were having to wait. Do you mean to tell me that Ford Lightning preorders will have long waits too? So what is Ford laughing about?
Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. It's the only fair way to do it.
And speaking of placing orders, the last update we received was that the online order banks are scheduled to open sometime in December instead of the originally scheduled October 26. No reason has been provided.
Wait, so even the system for placing orders is in a delay? Not even the truck itself. The order-taking system is delayed?
The growing reservation count is certainly music to Ford's ears.
Possibly a funeral dirge?

It previously announced an additional $250 million investment for the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan, where production will take place. Another 450 jobs are also being created. Aside from the cool factor, the F-150 Lightning's appeal comes from its downright affordable price tag.
Cool! So how affordable is it?
Base models will start at just under $40,000, not including some tax credits.
So $1000 over the Cybertruck base model. Good start.
A fully-loaded Platinum trim, however, will cost over $90,000.
So $21,000 over the top Cybertruck model. Not the most affordable price.
Ford beat both General Motors and Stellantis to the EV truck market and, at this rate, the Tesla Cybertruck as well.
Wait, it did? Lightning is in the market already? Cybertruck was announced well before Lightning. Neither one of them have shipped a single truck yet so that race is still undecided.
You gotta give credit where credit's due.
So where is the article about 1,000,000 Cybertruck orders? Or the huge gigafactory that is being built out to produce the Cybertruck?

What a joke of an article.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So $21,000 over the top Cybertruck model. Not the most affordable price.
Ford hasn’t released their final prices. Aside from the base truck price, everything is speculation.

I suspect this is one of the big reasons Ford is being so slow with their configuration tool.

Imagine sitting in an executive meeting and trying to nail down pricing when the Cybertruck is this giant unknown overhang.

If they price remotely competitive with ICE, they will have tons of demand but likely lose money or break even on the trucks.

Either way, their top models look expensive next to the Cybertruck which offers all of their top end features in their base truck.

And their dealers are sitting on the sidelines anticipating a hot product they can score major profits on.

@CyberGus $15k??

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The hare never learns a lesson and continues to laugh at the tortoise before the race is finished.
I almost think the better analogy is the 3 little pigs. The pigs have only just realized their neighbor isn’t a sheep! Soon enough we figure out who’s built a sound house.

I can almost hear Diess shouting in a strong German accent “Vee Need More Bricks!”

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
ALL THIS CRAP IS JUST NOISE! Why even bother discussing it!?
Entertainment value? So little new/good info to discuss so we need something to bide the time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Zerohedge is not a Twitter account known to be accurate. It's known to be the opposite. Like, more likely untrue than true.

The article does go on to point out that Ford is only planning to fulfill an eight of those orders, so there's that. Sounds like a piece someone's editor said 'I believe this on Twitter, write an article.'

At least there was an editor.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Zerohedge is not a Twitter account known to be accurate.
I feel like it's an astroturfing, stock manipulation account and web site. I have no hard evidence of this, just my gut based on the drivel they put out.
Sponsored