Able
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I know … it’s supposed to be a truck and all. But I can’t help feeling underwhelmed by a 112 mph top speed on the AWD and 130 on the CB.

I might run the occasional service call in this thing but let’s be real - that’s not what I would be getting it for.

why supercar acceleration if you’re just going to software limit the top speed so drastically. Or are other forces at play here?
Am I the only one who cares?

Would you buy a “supercar” that only does 112? To me, this was supposed to be a “super- truck” with car-like handling. with the right tires couldn’t it easily push 135 or even 150 safely on the track? I’m surprised no one is talking about this. Am I the only one here who likes to drive fast? I take my MY to the limit on occasion and it does not take long to get it there.
Able
Sponsored

Hello4x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ton
Country flag
I know … it’s supposed to be a truck and all. But I can’t help feeling underwhelmed by a 112 mph top speed on the AWD and 130 on the CB.

I might run the occasional service call in this thing but let’s be real - that’s not what I would be getting it for.

why supercar acceleration if your just going to software limit the top speed so drastically. Or are other forces at play here?

Would you buy a “supercar” that only does 112? To me, this was supposed to be a “super- truck” with car-like handling. with the right tires couldn’t it easily push 135 or even 150 safely on the track? I’m surprised no one is talking about this. Am I the only one here who likes to drive fast? I take my MY to the limit on occasion and it does not take long to get it there.
Able
Tires are the limiting factor. Same with Raptor, TRX, Rivian and CT.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag

why supercar acceleration if your just going to software limit the top speed so drastically. Or are other forces at play here?

Able
CyberTruck is geared for low end torque and speed limited to minimize the number of motors that spin themselves apart during the 8 year warranty period. I expect that Tesla will be selling speed boost upgrades eventually, and unless they uncork higher top speeds, police agencies aren't likely to buy any. Cyber PD vehicles will get left in the dust at 130.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Limits oftires and brakes on a 7Klb truck, but perhaps moreso where they have the electric motor compromises dialed in, to provide an overall performance mix of yes speed but also low-down torque for off-road and towing, as well as optimizing cruising speeds for getting good range.

Put differently: thing about being a truck that is also a sports car, is that it’s a sports car that is also a truck

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The Cybertruck is geared for torque. The only way to gain more top speed is to either raise the RPM limits of the motor or reduce the gearing. The motors are already at 19000RPM at top speed.

The limited top speed does suck because, with its acceleration, you'd reach top speed before the end of the 1/4 mile and stays there. But the reality is, this is a pick-up truck, not an autobahn cruiser. 130mph/209KM/H top speed is far more than enough on regular roads and streets.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Nothing much to add except that this has also been discussed a lot on threads here over the years.

At 15:1 gear ratio and those 35' tyres the motors are maxed out at 18,000 rpm.

The combination of vehicle mass, low rolling resistance, large 35' diameter limits tyre options for high speed.

You would either need to change the gear ratio, which will reduce low end torque, and increase acceleration times, or you would need CF wrap the rotors like the Plaid, to get the motors to 28k RPM.

And then you would have to find some smaller tyres with the right speed rating and which will reduce payload.

In saying that I think the AWD speed limit is arbitrary in software and it can also do 130mph seeing it has more than enough power and the same RPM limits as the CB.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Its got a 15x torque multiplier and the plaid has about 10x i forgot the exact figure which means ~ 33% reduction in redline.

that means that even if there were tires that could run > 130 underneath a 9500lb truck, 200mph x .67, 134 mph is all you could ask the motors for.

yes, I know they aren’t the exact same motors but they are still motors and even a carbon fiber winding has limits.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Its got a 15x torque multiplier and the plaid has about 10x i forgot the exact figure which means ~ 33% reduction in redline.

that means that even if there were tires that could run > 130 underneath a 9500lb truck, 200mph x .67, 134 mph is all you could ask the motors for.

yes, I know they aren’t the exact same motors but they are still motors and even a carbon fiber winding has limits.
Plaid CF wrap let's them go up to 28k RPM redline, according to Tesla with the top speed unlock. 28k is 10k more, so around 195mph with Plaid at the same CT ratio. More if you bring the ratio down closer to Plaid, as they also have slightly better hp/torque than the standard non-CF PM/Induction in the CT.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Am I the only one here who likes to drive fast? I take my MY to the limit on occasion and it does not take long to get it there.
I have had the model Y at 159 mph, nailed at 158 mph for quite a while in Oklahoma, then I knew I hit the holy grail of Y performance.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Am I the only one here who likes to drive fast? I take my MY to the limit on occasion and it does not take long to get it there.
3 times in Arkansas and 6 times in Texas at 150 mph. Yes, it does not even feel like it is being pushed at all. Normal cars put up a lot of drama over 110 mph.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
No need for speed in Los Angeles. My average speed day over day , year over year is 11 MPH.
Yes, 11 MPH. Even my wifes hybrid is just over 11 MPH and she takes more highways than I do.

So 113 I'll never see in Los Angeles. Unless it was a high speed chase and then the LAPD Helicopters will pursue the vehicle.

Rick

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I expect that Tesla will be selling speed boost upgrades eventually, and unless they uncork higher top speeds, police agencies aren't likely to buy any. Cyber PD vehicles will get left in the dust at 130.
You can’t outrun the radio.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

why supercar acceleration if you’re just going to software limit the top speed so drastically. Or are other forces at play here?

Able
I think Tesla knows what they're doing, I'm not sure I'd want to go over 110 mph -in a truck!
Trucks are a lot less stable than a sports car. Don't treat a truck like a sportscar, it can be deadly.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think Tesla knows what they're doing, I'm not sure I'd want to go over 110 mph -in a truck!
Trucks are a lot less stable than a sports car. Don't treat a truck like a sportscar, it can be deadly.
Nothing to do with being labelled a truck. There are plenty of fast heavy things that can still brake fast enough as well, without being a labelled a sportscar.

Sprinters and the like constantly sit on over 100mph on German autobahns on their way to a job site. And that's with over a ton of payload in the rear. I do the same with my Crafter. No probs.

It's only the sudden stop that hurts. ;)

But if the conditions allow it, and the road is designed for speed, it's no more of a problem than any other vehicle.

CyberCowboy

First Name
Collis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2023 M3 (red), 2023 M3 (grey), MazdaCX-9
Occupation
Cowboy
Country flag
3 times in Arkansas and 6 times in Texas at 150 mph. Yes, it does not even feel like it is being pushed at all. Normal cars put up a lot of drama over 110 mph.
Sounds like fun but watch yourself, especially in Arkansas, ASP are INTENSE!!!
Sponsored