Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
PS The Cybertruck price was set back in 2019 before Covid and before the recent rise of wages. And recent rise in goods. Tesla will raise the price of the CT. They raised the price of the Model S ten thousand didn't they? IMO by 2023 the Cybertruck will be at least $10,000 more for the 500 mile range version. I just hope it isn't more.
Tesla has never raised the price on reservation already made - even the Model 3 they eventually sold some at the base price. (They did cancel some of the Model Y orders, though.)

Tesla could have raised the reservation price promise at any point but has not.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
The CT is too cheap. Why would you buy a long range S or a Y for $90k/$60k when you can get a $70K CT with 500 miles range? Granted some people want a car, but for pure economics Tesla is undercutting their own market.

I don't see Tesla working too hard to crank out 250,000 CT per year at current pricing unless the margin is actually higher than a S or Y. I think they will limit production to ~100,000 units per year or so or they will find a way to raise prices. Maybe the 4 wheel steering was it?

Total profits are important as well as market share, but who are they really competing against? My assumed unit # 654114 is looking sadder and sadder.
Why do you think it's been delayed until 2023?

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
My wife is 5'1" and is scared to drive anything larger than her Model 3. It doesn't matter what the range or bells and whistles there are on longer-range have she will never drive them. She has grown to like the look of the CT but it is just way too big for her and I would imagine millions of others feel the same. Then let's check out the millions of people out there that just absolutely hate the design of the CT (I know they are crazy) but they are out there.

The point is that Tesla is making something for everyone. People will pay a premium to have a more traditional-looking vehicle even if it doesn't have the range or tech as the CT.
Sounds like you have zero experience operating a Tesla. Just drove a TM3 from Houston to upstate NY. Range anxiety is a total ICE BS fabrication. Tesla supercharger network works and rocks. I now believe the Tesla supercharger network will be more profitable than car sales, in the long run. Any range over 300 miles in the US is mostly never used, if your EV has access to the Tesla superchargers.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Between the 4680 battery pack, the origami/non-painted body and die cast under chassis with vault the margin was slated to be very high. Not sure how the HW 4, self presenting doors, and 4 wheel steering affect the equation.

The self presenting doors are a reduction in body air drag (so help improve range), and also a manufacturing savings (fabrication cost, fewer steps, simplification). Cutting perfect rectangular holes in 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel is extra work and rectangular/square holes in metals have a tendency for stress fractures at corners.

Fewer places for water to get into the inner door area.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Any range over 300 miles in the US is mostly never used, if your EV has access to the Tesla superchargers.
FWIW, I've bumped into range limits on my 326 mile range Model Y on multiple occasions. Usually it's on round trips where there is no Supercharger along the way and none near my destination. The range numbers are a bit overstated. Bikes on the back drains them further. Mountains and driving speed over 60MPH contribute as well. I'm doing a trip in a couple weeks where I expect to bump into this issue as well. Camping and using camp mode also does a number on range.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Between the 4680 battery pack, the origami/non-painted body and die cast under chassis with vault the margin was slated to be very high. Not sure how the HW 4, self presenting doors, and 4 wheel steering affect the equation.
I think the pop out doors are going to be a weight & cost savings for many of the reasons @firsttruck mentions above.

HW4 is likely not going to be too expensive, it might be a $20 chip. The big expenses on those things are engineering and Tesla will spread that over millions of cars over the next couple years.

The steering on the other hand is really interesting. I'm not sure if it was in the early designs and Tesla didn't unveil it at the reveal night because it wasn't ready or if they added it after the fact.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There are still chargers in these places, though.
Fortunately, there are.

Unfortunately it's a choice of 20MPH unless you happen to have a CHAdeMO adaptor.

Waiting an hour+ to get enough juice to get home is painfully slow.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Huh, when I looked, I saw a 16kW Destination in Florence. A bit more than 20mph. It's at a motel I haven't stayed at in a decade but they still email me every year. They share management with several others. That'll easily charge you overnight and give you enough juice to get to Portland. Or enough to get to Eugene in the time it takes to walk over and eat lunch at Mo's.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Florence, Sisters and Rainbow, OR

Unfortunately it's a choice of 20MPH unless you happen to have a CHAdeMO adaptor.

Waiting an hour+ to get enough juice to get home is painfully slow.
Within a couple of years some of those locations will probably have DC fast chargers with an industry standard like J1772, CCS or actual Tesla SuperCharger.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Huh, when I looked, I saw a 16kW Destination in Florence. A bit more than 20mph. It's at a motel I haven't stayed at in a decade but they still email me every year. They share management with several others. That'll easily charge you overnight and give you enough juice to get to Portland. Or enough to get to Eugene in the time it takes to walk over and eat lunch at Mo's.

-Crissa
We stayed in a VRBO in Florence in July, so this got my attention. There are two Tesla destination Chargers near the Dairy Queen. I wonder if you could negotiate with one of the motels to get some juice, while you have lunch at Dairy Queen and explore some of the shops?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Within a couple of years some of those locations will probably have DC fast chargers with an industry standard like J1772, CCS or actual Tesla SuperCharger.
I wonder if you could negotiate with one of the motels to get some juice, while you have lunch at Dairy Queen and explore some of the shops?
There are some chargers in some of the locations I mentioned. They are J1772 or CHAdeMO and I don't have CHAdeMO so J1772.

Or enough to get to Eugene in the time it takes to walk over and eat lunch at Mo's.
I've never gotten more than ~25MPH out of a J1772 charger of any sort. I didn't get stuck and wasn't trying to suggest as much. Just that it's been something I have to think about and would prefer to avoid in the future.

Frustrating that Tesla seems to be the only one pushing out fast DC chargers of any quality. Also frustrating that Tesla doesn't have a CCS adaptor on their site so I can lean on other networks. Really don't want to spend $500 on a CHAdeMO adaptor when it seems clear it's going away.
Sponsored