Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat, HD Street Glide & NISSAN Frontier
Occupation
Communications Technician
Country flag
I am extremely interested in finding out additional information on towing trailers, how the electrical connection will look at the rear of cybertruck and the in cab brake switch for trailer.
Any insight out there?
Sponsored

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
From pictures I've seen of the CT at the Petersen, it appears the receiver tube attaches to the hitch the way some European cars do it. The hitch is fully hidden behind the bumper cover. The tube or ball inserts vertically into the hitch.

Not ideal in my opinion. Excessive tongue weight and acceleration will want to twist the hitch.

I've had to replace the hitch on my Dodge 3500 because it cracked from tongue weight. The OEM was rated for 10k pounds. The replacement is rated for 14k if I recall correctly.

The brake controller will be integrated for certain.

The wiring will be standard 7 way RV style.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
At least for any euro versions I’m hoping for an electric tow hitch that tucks away behind/below the bumper. Although the euro tow hitch is more prone to excessive forces as you mention.

The manual model 3 solution with a cover which hides a vertical socket for the cable and the attachment point is cumbersome. But I would still want it out of the way sometimes. Our cables and sockets are delivered as 13-way.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I am extremely interested in finding out additional information on towing trailers, how the electrical connection will look at the rear of cybertruck and the in cab brake switch for trailer.
Any insight out there?
Hoping Tesla provides typical trailer hook up cable.
My 19' Scamp fifth wheel project (gutted at the moment) is just waiting until I can get some more info for the CT. i.e. bed height side rail heights above bed etc. Prepared jack up the trailer as high as needed to make this work. Planning to fabricate a removable aluminum hitch to sit in the bed and grab the lower tie downs (I'll work with whatever the final design is).
So looking forward to plugging trailer into the CT for cabin power. Thought about making the whole thing electric (ie no propane) but that may be impractical for longer hauls where I don't have hook ups, also have to consider future trailer resale.

Last edited:

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
At least for any euro versions I’m hoping for an electric tow hitch that tucks away behind/below the bumper. Although the euro tow hitch is more prone to excessive forces as you mention.

The manual model 3 solution with a cover which hides a vertical socket for the cable and the attachment point is cumbersome. But I would still want it out of the way sometimes. Our cables and sockets are delivered as 13-way.
I highly doubt for the "stronger than a F-150" version, which really is competing against 3/4 ton trucks in towing specs, the hitch will be anything less than a 14k hitch. The stated towing capacity for the tri motor is "14,000+", so the hitch would need to support that from the factory. Since Tesla likes to keep manufacturing simple, I would think the towing package for all motor styles would be identical.

I would expect it to be stationary. If it retracts, how are we all gonna hang our truck nuts over the hitch?
Tesla Cybertruck Tow hitch, electrical connection and in cab brake controller 1613583102547

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I highly doubt for the "stronger than a F-150" version, which really is competing against 3/4 ton trucks in towing specs, the hitch will be anything less than a 14k hitch. The stated towing capacity for the tri motor is "14,000+", so the hitch would need to support that from the factory. Since Tesla likes to keep manufacturing simple, I would think the towing package for all motor styles would be identical.

I would expect it to be stationary. If it retracts, how are we all gonna hang our truck nuts over the hitch?
1613583102547.png
Maybe it could retract and deflate nuts too when cold. (Hint: it’s *always* colder than usual?)

I’m actually not sure at what level the euro ball hitch turns to a bigger and stronger system, but I’ve towed cabin cruisers, sailboats and cars on a euro ball hitch.

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

1613583102547.png
:ROFLMAO:(y)

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Well, the prototype CT definitely has a euro style hitch. Proof is in this video. (Sorry about the video, I couldn't find a picture persey).

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The under bumper panel has a removable access panel to expose the underside of the hitch.

The receiver tube slides "up" into the hitch.

This setup completely hides the receiver frame when it's not in use.

It looks something like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Tow hitch, electrical connection and in cab brake controller 1613658503740

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I bet we're going to see some different receiver/hitch options available.

A 14k pound receiver on the single motor 7500 pound rated CT doesn't make financial sense to me.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
The under bumper panel has a removable access panel to expose the underside of the hitch.

The receiver tube slides "up" into the hitch.

This setup completely hides the receiver frame when it's not in use.

It looks something like this:

1613658503740.png
That’s the same as the Model 3 (euro at least). The socket is usually up in the hole too, oriented vertically. I think that’s cumbersome to switch to and from. In that case we might as well get an electric folding tow hitch, assuming they can tow equally as much. (At 0:37)

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I bet we're going to see some different receiver/hitch options available.

A 14k pound receiver on the single motor 7500 pound rated CT doesn't make financial sense to me.
For traditional manufacturing, I couldn't agree more regarding having a receiver that is far over designed for the single motor CT. The thing is that Tesla doesn't put out options for things like this in their history. I would think they will follow their history when it comes to stuff like this. Their overall manufacturing cost might be more to have different towing package setups, so I expect they just put the heavy duty one on for all CT variants. I also don't see them using the one in post 10 as that does not seem beefy enough to support the tongue weights or even pulling weight of a 14k lb load. The biggest thing that Elon stressed about the CT is that it will outperform ICE trucks. If it can't pull, then the CT would be a huge fail. Elon has talked about advanced towing capabilities that blow the ICE trucks away, so there is no way the hitch will be allowed to be a weak point.

If CT is to have a "hidden receiver" option, it will likely be the tube that is recessed behind the bumper, with a panel you can place over the opening. That would allow like every other truck that exists the options of extenders, adaptors, and just the ball hitch itself extending how you want (longer, drop down, raised, etc.).

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well, the prototype CT definitely has a euro style hitch. Proof is in this video. (Sorry about the video, I couldn't find a picture persey).

I hope it is the receiver hitch style commonly found in North America standard 2 inch as well as 7 prong electrical

OP
OP
Bigmac

Bigmac

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That’s the same as the Model 3 (euro at least). The socket is usually up in the hole too, oriented vertically. I think that’s cumbersome to switch to and from. In that case we might as well get an electric folding tow hitch, assuming they can tow equally as much. (At 0:37)
Jesus hope it's not like this....some very interesting comments could definitely be made here...lmao
Sponsored