Tow hitch, electrical connection and in cab brake controller

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Seems like something that could be automated.

-Crissa
No kidding. My 2010 F-150 has the towing package which includes a factory installed manual trailer brake controller. It's far from ideal for the driver to need to squeeze that brake controller while driving and there is plenty of room for error if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Automation can handle it, probably without even needing a remote sensor suite on the trailer. Tesla will probably employ the rear camera on the Cybertruck to monitor the trailer (along with the solid state gyros that all Tesla already have). Tesla knows they can develop those systems as they ramp production because demand is never a problem that early in a products lifecycle. As the ramp progresses to ever increasing volumes, Tesla knows they need to continually add more value to keep selling the higher volumes. That's because this is primarily a software based solution that can be retroactively applied to vehicles already in the wild.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Seems like something that could be automated.

-Crissa
Theoretically and optimistically... Sure. But my extensive experience with FSD beta is that Tesla's autonomous driving computer today is no where close to the finesse and judgement that is needed for emergency control to counteract sway and fishtailing in different surface conditions. I have let FSD beta handle rain slicked, snow and ice covered roads in situations where if it screws up it won't damage the car, and it has failed MISERABLY >90% of the time. The current version won't even dodge pot holes or paint cans in the road during ideal weather. I'm hoping that higher resolution cameras of HW4 might help that. Dodging things in the road in slippery conditions demands high acuity at considerable distances to initiate a gradual swerve away that won't cause the tires to loose traction. I'm know the current cameras can't do that, and I fear that even 5 megapixel cameras will fall short.

I think an automated system may be able to outperform someone with little or no experience with emergency trailer maneuvers, but a human with lots of experience in rain, snow, ice, mud, ruts, washboard, etc. will outperform current and near future automation. This is why the performance versions of Teslas today have "Track Mode". Excellent drivers with intimate knowledge of track banks, cant, dips, humps, texture for given temperatures and temporary slick spots can easily out perform computerized traction control.

I am reluctant to say that computerized systems will never beat us at these tasks, but my understanding* of the brain makes me skeptical. We sell ourselves short in thinking that computers can beat us at everything, but when you realize the myriad of ways that an infant can reflexively outperform supercomputers at VERY simple tasks should increase your skepticism too.

*by "understanding" I mean our dearth of understanding about HOW the brain does what it does. To anyone interested in the brain, I HIGHLY recommend "On Intelligence" by Jeff Hankins and Sandra Blakeslee. It explains the difference between how brains and computers work and why faster, more powerful computers will never be the solution to A.I. No computer today can access its memory faster than the human (and other) brains can.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Seems like something that could be automated. -Crissa
Since you didn't quote anything it is unclear what you are referencing.
Trailer braking has always required fine tuning the 'gain' (ratio of applied trailer braking) to balance how hard the trailer brakes are working compared to the vehicle. This is at various speeds and various trailers (multiple axles? weight? tire friction/wear? trailer brake type).

Ford knows their $hit and had a lot of experience. Impressive how much they take into acct. Experience that Tesla does not have but could copy.

Tesla Cybertruck Tow hitch, electrical connection and in cab brake controller JNRHL9w

Tesla Cybertruck Tow hitch, electrical connection and in cab brake controller sqmCNt6

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Since you didn't quote anything it is unclear what you are referencing.
Trailer braking has always required fine tuning the 'gain' (ratio of applied trailer braking) to balance how hard the trailer brakes are working compared to the vehicle. This is at various speeds and various trailers (multiple axles? weight? tire friction/wear? trailer brake type).

Ford knows their $hit and had a lot of experience. Impressive how much they take into acct. Experience that Tesla does not have but could copy.

JNRHL9w.jpg

sqmCNt6.jpg

Yes, this seems to be because you don't have any actual input from the brake pedal other than 'on' or 'off'.'

And so you're setting it like I do the regen on my Zero when I add it to my front brake.

-Crissa

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
My Cayenne has all of this built into it’s towing computer, it sense inertia and automatically adjusts the signal to my trailer’s brakes.
What I’m saying is the system be tunable through the touch screen, not manually used. I’m specifically saying I hope they don’t use the tech from the 60’s…

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I'm not sure what you're asking? I think because with the 50's style external brake controller you can manually press to engage only the trailer brakes, you can brake the car using the trailer brakes alone, to verify that they are working? My Grandpa did that with his system.

Yeah, I can't do that.

What I do check is that the lights function through my onboard trailer cameras. I suppose I would be able to tell if the Porsche wasn't able to brake effectively if the 6,000lb trailer's brakes weren't working.

I guess I could install a camera pointed to one of the disc calipers so I could visually see it clamping onto the disc, that might be a descent safety add-on.

Honestly, the Porsche handles towing so well, it is really difficult to feel I'm towing Taj-Ma-Haul. When a semi passes me I do get a slight movement, so I'm investigating a B&W Trailer Hitches Continuum Weight Distribution Hitch.

Cheers,
Neo

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I guess I could install a camera pointed to one of the disc calipers so I could visually see it clamping onto the disc, that might be a descent safety add-on.
Hmm, I just checked and the brakes are drum, so that won't work.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hmm, I just checked and the brakes are drum, so that won't work.
You can't see the action on the drum brake? Usually you can see the clamp from the back (axle) side unless they're fully enclosed... You could place a pressure or piezo sensor on the brake line to detect the action.

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
You can't see the action on the drum brake? Usually you can see the clamp from the back (axle) side unless they're fully enclosed... You could place a pressure or piezo sensor on the brake line to detect the action.

-Crissa
I vote that Neo drills a hole and installs a small camera and lights inside the drum to observe the braking action, along with compressed air to clear the camera. The shots should look like the internal O2 tank cameras at SpaceX.
Shy of this, a series of pressure sensors and relays and some servos and maybe a few transducers to give a read out.