A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I had my wall charger installed .... I will have an additional wall charger installed ...
To help people understand how this all works it may be a good idea to remind them that these boxes are not chargers. They are EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment whose function is to interface the vehicle to the building's electrical supply system. The actual charger is in the car. It's function is to convert the low voltage AC from the house to high voltage DC. With DC fast chargers the high voltage DC is present at the station. The charger in the car is thus not needed when DC fast charging is used.

EVSE has some safety devices but is essentially a relay (contactor) that connects the charger in the car to the mains. The boxes may contain other circuitry for functions such as current and voltage measurement, WiFi circuits for communication, timers, alarms, logging. etc. The Telsa EVSE for residential use are unique (AFAIK) in that they can manage sharing between multiple units at a location. I believe there are EVSE offered by other manufacturers that permit this plus manage billing, keep logs etc.. Telsa's Level II commercial solution has always been the HPWC. It is pretty clear from the Gen 3 manual that it is designed to be used in commercial as well as residential settings. Perhaps the WiFi connection to the internet will make logging, billing etc. available to the business user.
Sponsored

Last edited: