Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Whats the formula for figuring out how much a full charge would cost? Something where i can plug in my local KWH charge.
check with your local utility to see if you can get discounted electricity during non-peak hours. My local utility offers discounted electricity for electric car owners. During the Winter the discounted rate starts at 9PM; the Summer discount starts at 8PM. Currently the off-peak cost of electricity for my utility is $0.04622 KWh. Using the formula provided by Saskateam my cost would be $7.40 to charge my CT. This is WAY less expensive than filling a 36 gallon gas tank.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Whats the formula for figuring out how much a full charge would cost? Something where i can plug in my local KWH charge.
It may be of interest to know how much it costs to fully charge the vehicle and that depends, of course, on the size of a full charge and thus how big the battery is. Of much greater interest is the charging cost for a year's (or some other period of time) worth of operation or the fuel cost per mile (or km). These don't depend on the battery size anymore than the cost to operate an ICE vehicle depends on the size of its gas tank. They depend on consumption: Wh/mi in the BEV and mpg in the ICE vehicle. We don't know what the consumption of the CT will be and it will be different for each driver but ABRP seems to think it's going to be around 485 Wh/mi at 65 mph and as those guys are a lot smarter about this than I am that's the number I use. Assuming it to be a good number the energy cost is going to be approximately 0.485*cost_per_kWh/0.9 = 0.539*cost_per_kWh. The 0.9 is in there because about 90% of the energy you buy from the utility winds up in the battery and is available to move the truck. I think the average electricity cost in the US is about $0.12/kWh so the average driver will pay about 6.5 cents per mile driven. If you can charge at a discounted rate e.g. the $0.04622 rate mentioned in #18 you'd pay about 2.5 cents per mile. If you drive 10,000 miles in a year your energy costs would be, respectively, $650 or $250. If you get x % of your electricity from a solar system you should multiply those costs by (100 - x)/100.

If you drive more in winter than in summer or live in hilly country or someplace where it rains a lot or take mostly short drives or pull a trailer then consumption is going to be higher and costs higher. The vehicles are instrumented to give you lots of information about your energy usage so after you have had the truck a while you will know what your actual Wh/mi is and will be able to calculate your energy costs more accurately. For planning just use 0.539*cost_per_kWh as the cost per mile.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
check with your local utility to see if you can get discounted electricity during non-peak hours. My local utility offers discounted electricity for electric car owners. During the Winter the discounted rate starts at 9PM; the Summer discount starts at 8PM. Currently the off-peak cost of electricity for my utility is $0.04622 KWh. Using the formula provided by Saskateam my cost would be $7.40 to charge my CT. This is WAY less expensive than filling a 36 gallon gas tank.
Great idea! my normal KWh is 11 cents. If theyd discount that to close to yours I might buy an electric before the CT is ready.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Even at 11 cents I think you may like it. An X uses about 300 kWh/mi so at 11 cents thats 300*.11/.9 = 3.7 cents per mile. For the 8000 miles I drive a year the electric cost, if all obtained at home, would be $290. A model 3 uses closer to 200 Wh/mi and so would run less than $200/yr. Even with the CT at 485 it would only be $465/yr. In my Lexus at 18 mpg and 2.70 a gal. it would be $1200.

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
Wouldn't it be better to wait to see if some new charging technology may become available? I have aa NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage but I think the circuit is only 20 amps. I have one in my barn that is on a 50 amp circuit. The Volt that I had was charged on the 20 amp circuit.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HMMWV, 2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Wouldn't it be better to wait to see if some new charging technology may become available? I have aa NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage but I think the circuit is only 20 amps. I have one in my barn that is on a 50 amp circuit. The Volt that I had was charged on the 20 amp circuit.
That’s my thought exactly. I was going to get a head start and install the Tesla wall connector, but I’m holding off until production starts just in case they come out with a different charger before then.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is certainly no hurry but I am not expecting anything radical. The current home charging solution is based on rectifiers/converters in the car. The biggest Tesla has ever used is 80 A which requires A 100 A circuit which is about as big as I think we can reasonably contemplate in a residential setting. Someone may come up with a Tesla compatible 80 A charger with more bells and whistles or that is much cheaper than the HPWC but I will be very surprised if any DC charging option is available on the residential market, Probably the greatest motivation to wait is that prices may come down as adoption becomes wider. In addition to the SC's there is a large base of "destination chargers" which Tesla was (and perhaps still is) giving away to businesses. These are actually just HPWCs. The new trucks will doubtless be compatible with these and hence the home charger technology of today.

A NEMA 14-50R may be installed on a 40 or 50 A circuit. On any other it is a code violation.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
There is certainly no hurry but I am not expecting anything radical. The current home charging solution is based on rectifiers/converters in the car. The biggest Tesla has ever used is 80 A which requires A 100 A circuit which is about as big as I think we can reasonably contemplate in a residential setting. Someone may come up with a Tesla compatible 80 A charger with more bells and whistles or that is much cheaper than the HPWC but I will be very surprised if any DC charging option is available on the residential market, Probably the greatest motivation to wait is that prices may come down as adoption becomes wider. In addition to the SC's there is a large base of "destination chargers" which Tesla was (and perhaps still is) giving away to businesses. These are actually just HPWCs. The new trucks will doubtless be compatible with these and hence the home charger technology of today.

A NEMA 14-50R may be installed on a 40 or 50 A circuit. On any other it is a code violation.
Wattzilla has an 80 amp model that I have had my eye on, To use with a Tesla you have to use the J1772 adapter which I would rather not if I am pushing 80 amps

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That's $2294 from Amazon and the adapter is $95 (but it is rated up to 80 A). The HPWC is $500.

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
I’m not interested in getting too much of a ‘head start’. After all, maybe some better home charging technologies are still be worked on?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I am going to install a sub panel in my garage. I think I will go with a 100 amp panel that can handle future upgrades to charging. Right now Tesla’s are only charging at 40 amps.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The newer Teslas charge at a maximum of 48 Amps. My 2018 X charges at a maximum of 72.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
That's $2294 from Amazon and the adapter is $95 (but it is rated up to 80 A). The HPWC is $500.
they are a bit cheaper off of their web site and they do have a more budget 75 amp model for less than $1k. One thing I like about Wattzilla is the materials used. I first looked into them after watching a youtube video for Rich Rebuilds and some issues he was having with a Tesla wall connector with water intrusion

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The HPWC enclosure is NEMA 3R which should be OK outdoors as there are certainly plenty of them installed as destination chargers. 3R provides protection against rain snow and ice but not washdown. Perhaps the Watzilla offerings are 4X?

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag

Thanks for the heads up not the 40 / 50 A requirements for the NEMA 14-15R receptacle. I will look into that. I had another receptacle on the circuit, but my daughter has a Tesla Model 3 so I changed the receptacle. (No one accused me of being bright)
Sponsored