TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The Rivian R1T is a quad-motor. The cybertruck is only single, dual, and tri motor. for the tank turn to work, the left wheels and the right wheels need to spin in opposite directions. The front wheels on the Cybertruck most likely won't be able to accomplish this without some engineering that would have no benefit other than the ability to do a tank turn. I don't think Tesla will do anything to try to give us the ability to Tank turn. If they wanted to, they would probably just release a quad motor but we don't know if that would be beneficial enough to make a quad motor over a tri motor.
It would almost certainly be possible with the Tri.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The air suspension is irrelevant.

The longer wheelbase with the front wheels pushed to the front corners should help vs a typical full size truck. Don't expect to park it like a civic, but expect it to be a bit better than a Silverado.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It would almost certainly be possible with the Tri.
I would like to know how that would be possible without modifying the Cybertruck with the only benefit being the ability to Tank turn. If they can do something that gives other benefit or can manage a tank turn without changing anything, I would be interested to see that.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I would like to know how that would be possible without modifying the Cybertruck with the only benefit being the ability to Tank turn. If they can do something that gives other benefit or can manage a tank turn without changing anything, I would be interested to see that.
It would be quite simple. The rear wheels would presumably already be ready to move in independent directions. If the front motor can power just one wheel and leave the other neutral, you could pull off a "tank turn". It wouldn't be quite as effective as a 4-motor setup, but I'm sure it would work OK. The ability for the front motor to power just one wheel would be useful for torque vectoring under performance conditions. I know the plaid setup is planned to have TV, but it may just be with the rear 2-motor system.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That sounds like the most uneven tank turn I could think of. Even if they decided to set a mode for that with one front wheel turning and the corresponding rear wheel using less power for balance, if you are trying to do a tank turn with any wheel not spinning, you are putting more stress on the joints, the control arm, and the knuckle than what stress that would be present if all wheels were spinning equally.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The longer the wheelbase the less effective the skid-steering. That's why you see it only on short-wheelbase vehicles (usually construction equipment, because it's hard to make steer-turn wheels strong enough to handle heavy loads and stresses). With heavy tracked vehicles, there's no alternative.
Sponsored

Last edited: