intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I told myself that anything resembling a delay of the CT on this call that I would order a MY. The moment he said ”next year hopefully” I clicked off the call and went to the Tesla website. The dual motor is pushed out to August so I ordered a Performance in black with a delivery date of March. Did not spring for the FSD though, standard AP is enough for me.
”next year hopefully”

Some Tesla fans will say they heard "See, they are delivering the CyberTruck in 2023!"

I heard "it doesn't sound too promising to see it in 2023"

This was the first time I heard Elon say he was worried about the cost of producing the CyberTruck with all the tech they promised and have to spend more time engineering it. <--- What tech? I wonder if he means it is turning out the engineering to produce stainless steel skeleton and bulletproof glass is way harder than he anticipated. Maybe the wiper blade is running $2000 LOL
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
My 2c.
If it couldn't be delivered at the reveal price, then I don't care if it's delayed because I wouldn't have bought it anyway. FOR ME this is no different than me not putting solar on my house yet. When it makes good financial sense for me, I'll get it. Elon helping us determine what makes good financial sense, by not putting another $80k-$100k+ truck on the market does not bother me in the least.

Now...if someone had proof that a 500+ mile variant could be produced this year for $69k then I'd be annoyed. Until then, I'm waiting. Plus, the last time I checked, there is no other EV-truck even trying to claim 500+ of range for 2023. So as far as I'm concerned, the Cybertruck is still the first & only EV-truck worth considering that's coming to market.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
seems like their car business went from lets build the coolest most hightec stuff out there to lets squeeze as much profit out of the cars that we are already making because we are an official business now. That really sucks. looks like they are on track to be the next Apple. Yes they will produce cool stuff, but they will be following instead of leading.
Having a high volume car was always Tesla’s plan. That was the ultimate goal of the plan for a long time. The Model Y’s roaring success is literally Tesla achieving the goal they stated 15 years ago.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
yeah cuz companies making profit is just crazy talk.
They are already very profitable. Every company wants to maximize profit. Tesla didn’t get to where it was because they aimed to be profitable. That’s aging Elon talking. They got where they were by breaking molds and building cool shit like the CT. They get in a rut of focusing on profits and they lose the edge. It’s easy for successful companies to do and the Tesla ownership deserves to let the big machine they built just be on cruise control for a while for sure. Every leader hopes to see what they built become sustainable and profitable but that’s not the Tesla the world has grown to admire. That’s a plateau. That’s where Ford has been for 50 years and it’s depressing.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
My 2c.
If it couldn't be delivered at the reveal price, then I don't care if it's delayed because I wouldn't have bought it anyway. FOR ME this is no different than me not putting solar on my house yet. When it makes good financial sense for me, I'll get it. Elon helping us determine what makes good financial sense, by not putting another $80k-$100k+ truck on the market does not bother me in the least.

Now...if someone had proof that a 500+ mile variant could be produced this year for $69k then I'd be annoyed. Until then, I'm waiting. Plus, the last time I checked, there is no other EV-truck even trying to claim 500+ of range for 2023. So as far as I'm concerned, the Cybertruck is still the first & only EV-truck worth considering that's coming to market.
By the time the CT comes out you won’t need 500 mile range. Towing trailers will push themselves and fast chargers will be abundant. I am about to kick off almost 200 EV stalls on a project. And every project we build has numerous EV stalls now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
By the time the CT comes out you won’t need 500 mile range. Towing trailers will push themselves and fast chargers will be abundant. I am about to kick off almost 200 EV stalls on a project. And every project we build has numerous EV stalls now.
Self power trailers are going to be stupid expensive for a long time.

If you want to tow a car to the next town over, you aren’t going to do it on a $95,000 self-powered trailer.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
2023 maybe.... this blows. As a consumer I'm extremely disparaged. As in investor I'm pretty happy... so essentially I feel numb..

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I think the root cause of the production delay is the extremely tight supply of computer chips and the lack of mass production for 4680 battery cells. Why rush a new product to market when you can't purchase the critical parts and pieces to assemble it. Tesla and it's battery partners need to spit out 4680's like tootsie rolls before volume production can begin.

Each Dual Motor Cybertruck reportedly takes almost 900 cells and double that for the Quad Motor version.

My takeaway from the earnings call is that Tesla won't start volume production until the summer of 2023 IF the supply chain gets back to normal. If it doesn't we are looking at 2024, another 2-years.

I'm glad I hedged my bets with early Lightning, Canoo pickup, R1T and hybrid Tundra Pro reservations. My next pickup is definitely going to be a BEV or hybrid.

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
You might be right. We'll see. Right there are no installs happening or planned as far as I can tell in the remote area that I hunt.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
i dont believe this man's word anymore, his word got broken too many times.
Understandably.

I am disappointed I may never get a CyberTruck. Most likely it won't happen...sigh.

He is however a visionary, and has accomplished a lot. But his mind gets too far out there and what he thinks should be doable, turns out to be very hard. The Semi, CyberTruck, Roadster, and even FSD he promised and will be late on all of them. I think someday the Semi will happen. And Full Self Driving we should know by 2023 if it will happen.
Sponsored