Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck on order, 1940 Ford Cabrio 5.0L,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Disappointing news. I watch the videos of the Austin plant construction almost every day and the speed is amazing. Maybe Elon should consider having a few of the construction guys outside the plant step inside and start work on the CT. I will be 82 in October, can't handle many more delays.
Sponsored

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm definitely no scientist but unless I'm wrong, burning organic material releases carbon back into the air. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like controlled burns would be my choice to address anything to do with the climate crisis. Turning dead plants into mulch or other building products would be my choice but what do I know besides I have solar panels and drive electric cars since I do believe we have to start somewhere to have any chance at all. That's why I'm keeping my CT reservation and don't plan to ever buy another fossil-burning vehicle again. I feel like a hypocrite when I use my gas range, gas water heater, gas fireplace, or even the furnace in the winter months but burning natural gas is still much cleaner than fuel oil or coal that still power many electricity plants. If the cost and availability for geothermal units to replace all those become reality, I would consider doing that. The planet may not have enough time with us on it but once we are gone it will probably be just fine.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A major reason (not the only one) I want a cybertruck is related to the general decline of the social fabric. Yes, I am getting older, and random highway shootings, increased burglaries, vehicular vandalism, etc. bother me more now. I live in an area where anything metal rusts in a few years. I was/am very intrigued by the 3mm stainless steel exoskeleton of the CT as I believe (warranted or otherwise) that I will be safer in this truck than in just about any other passenger vehicle. Add a biodefense mode and I know that I will feel safer against climate-related air pollution. The IDA-related flooding convinces me that the CT will fare better than other vehicles for getting across streams or flooded roads. This delay in production fuels my fears because I will need to deal with fires, mud slides, floods, earthquakes, violence, rust, etc. for at least another year. I can buy a Model Y for the short duration but it will not address these concerns at all, and no other vehicle would do any better and still have any reasonable cargo-carrying ability. So this news is quite disconcerting and I am still trying to get my head wrapped around it. I am sure this will pass and I'll settle into a new wait mode but for now my anxiety level has jumped a notch.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
A major reason (not the only one) I want a cybertruck is related to the general decline of the social fabric. Yes, I am getting older, and random highway shootings, increased burglaries, vehicular vandalism, etc. bother me more now. I live in an area where anything metal rusts in a few years. I was/am very intrigued by the 3mm stainless steel exoskeleton of the CT as I believe (warranted or otherwise) that I will be safer in this truck than in just about any other passenger vehicle. Add a biodefense mode and I know that I will feel safer against climate-related air pollution. The IDA-related flooding convinces me that the CT will fare better than other vehicles for getting across streams or flooded roads. This delay in production fuels my fears because I will need to deal with fires, mud slides, floods, earthquakes, violence, rust, etc. for at least another year. I can buy a Model Y for the short duration but it will not address these concerns at all, and no other vehicle would do any better and still have any reasonable cargo-carrying ability. So this news is quite disconcerting and I am still trying to get my head wrapped around it. I am sure this will pass and I'll settle into a new wait mode but for now my anxiety level has jumped a notch.
Two dooms day posts in a row. Guys…..I worry less about the world ending and more about Biden giving your Cybertruck to the Taliban….?

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Absolutely right on about stomaching pre orders. I will say though that I firmly believe Tesla will deliver a pickup to market in America. The pie is just too big for Tesla to not want a slice

Disappointing news. I watch the videos of the Austin plant construction almost every day and the speed is amazing. Maybe Elon should consider having a few of the construction guys outside the plant step inside and start work on the CT. I will be 82 in October, can't handle many more delays.
happy early birthday to you sir! Unfortunately it isn’t just the production line, batteries need to be plentiful too. I believe you’ll see your CT. Eat your fruits and veggies and you’ll be just fine :)

A major reason (not the only one) I want a cybertruck is related to the general decline of the social fabric. Yes, I am getting older, and random highway shootings, increased burglaries, vehicular vandalism, etc. bother me more now.
as sad as this is, you’re right. Fits the Cyberpunk theme perfectly, don’t you think?
It wasn’t all that long ago you could leave things in the bed of your truck overnight. Now, it’s like putting a “FREE” sign on it.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I decided to hedge by bets by placing deposits on 4 BEV pickup trucks. I have deposits on a Cybertruck, Lightning, R1T and Canoo pickup truck.

Minus the CT the R1T pickup is currently my #2 choice. The quad motor drivetrain, 800HP and 900 ft pounds of torque are very compelling. The only negative I can find is the $68k price tag.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Minus the CT the R1T pickup is currently my #2 choice. The quad motor drivetrain, 800HP and 900 ft pounds of torque are very compelling. The only negative I can find is the $68k price tag.
The Rivian is very compelling compared to the Lightning. The Cybertruck is the outlier, it's absolutely massive bang-for-the-buck.

It's sort of a crap shoot right now. People complain about Tesla's order system being opaque, but Rivian and Ford also lack any kind of gauge for when you will get your truck as well.

Super interested to hear which one you get first.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
One small point... Tesla has not delayed the CT. There are things that point to a later production but Tesla has not publicly announced a production date. The last public announcement was Elon saying if we are lucky some production 4th quarter 2021. I expect we will hear a public announcement in a month or so.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
We are all in different boats, .... But I can imagine for people who are buying their first truck or are on their last leg of their current vehicle this is a real bummer.

In the long term, this wait will be forgotten soon after we each take delivery. But that's just my opinion. Who knows
I am in the position of needing a truck and the CyberTruck meets all of my needs. Fortunately, I am patient and I have generous friends who loan me their trucks. I would rather wait and get the right truck with the right technology than to take delivery of something that is not fully developed.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
The Rivian is very compelling compared to the Lightning. The Cybertruck is the outlier, it's absolutely massive bang-for-the-buck.

It's sort of a crap shoot right now. People complain about Tesla's order system being opaque, but Rivian and Ford also lack any kind of gauge for when you will get your truck as well.

Super interested to hear which one you get first.
The choice between Rivian and Ford is obvious, but for those who need a work vehicle the Ford is going to be their first choice. I will wait for the CT and will test drive the Lightening when they are available.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One small point... Tesla has not delayed the CT. There are things that point to a later production but Tesla has not publicly announced a production date. The last public announcement was Elon saying if we are lucky some production 4th quarter 2021. I expect we will hear a public announcement in a month or so.
I think at this point it's safe to say it's delayed. How long is subject to debate, but the fact that it is delayed is not. My suspicion is Tesla is waiting until they have more certainty around the final date. I also think they want to have a beta truck to show off so they can say: "Yes it is delayed, but we've made it even more awesome. Check out the new Plaid option, red-light bypass, hover mode, and teleport!"

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Anticipating delays, I purchased a Model Y to tide me over until my Cybertruck would be ready.
SO GLAD I did.

I'm enjoying the Model Y :cool:- but unfortunate so is my wife :sneaky:

I'll be trading her in when the Cybertruck is ready [ the model y, not the wife :rolleyes: ]
I am in the same position you are in. I took my CT money and purchased a Model Y. My wife has named it "The Fun Car". Guess who is going to be the primary driver of the CT after the Model Y is traded in? Fortunately for me, I actually like driving her Nissan Leaf.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The choice between Rivian and Ford is obvious, but for those who need a work vehicle the Ford is going to be their first choice. I will wait for the CT and will test drive the Lightening when they are available.
I think it depends largely on what you are looking for in a work truck. If you just want a barebones work truck and are ok with the 230 mile range and want the barebones Ford, then the Ford wins.

On the other hand I think as you edge up the price curve, the Rivian becomes more and more compelling. Things like traffic aware cruise, a decent car computer, and super useful features like a pull out work-bench with power are compelling. I can see mounting a miter saw on this, or grinder, or any number of power tools where a fixed workbench is preferred.

Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 1.47.52 PM
Sponsored