firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Don't forget that Ford first hyped the prototype all-electric F-150 at the 2008 SEMA auto show in Detroit. They have been delaying the electric F-150 for almost a decade and a half! And yet, Tesla is the one that's late? LOL!

Tesla had almost no money and no resources in 2008, they got to where they are today by learning how to build EV's and sell them at a profit all the while Ford sat on their hands doing almost absolutely nothing! :rolleyes:
----------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info tip.

Wow, even had 4 hub motors

Truckin': Ford Bringing Four 2009 F150 Concepts to SEMA (Las Vegas)
October 28, 2008
By Andrew Strieber
https://www.motortrend.com/news/163-news081028-2009-ford-f150-at-sema/

Hi-Pa Drive F-150
Of course a no compromises, tuner full-size truck might not be so popular if gas returns to $4 a gallon, but not to worry -- Ford has that scenario covered with the new Hi-Pa Drive F-150. Featuring a unique alternative power-train, the stock truck's engine, drive-train, and transmission have all been replaced by four in-wheel electric motors that together reportedly deliver over 600 hp and more torque than the V-8 mill found on regular F-150s. Besides offering gas and emissions-free driving, moving the truck's propulsion to the wheels also opens up more space, allowing for new storage and design solutions.

Source: Ford

Event Coverage: SEMA's (Las Vegas) Top 25 Trucks
The Best Trucks from the Biggest Show
By Benson Kong and Melissa Spiering
Jan 26, 2009
https://www.motortrend.com/events/163-0904-sema-show-2008-top-25-trucks/

4. Hi-Po Hi-Pa Electric F-150

Built by PML Flightlink in collaboration with Ford, the electric Hi-Pa Drive F-150 has an output of up to 600 horsepower. The Hi-Pa Drive system replaces the mechanical drive-train, gearbox, transmission, engine, exhaust, gas tank, and differential with a 40-kilowatt battery and four in-wheel motors. Running the wheel-motors as generators recaptures more of the kinetic energy lost during braking than obtained by other hybrid technologies with one or two body-mounted motors, according to project reps.

Sponsored

eugeneflorida

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ct
Country flag
In all honesty, I am disappointed and actually pissed-off. Just make up your mind and don't do teaser dates. You got your reservations and a ton of $. I will be 72 this year and already had one heart attack so far. I wonder which will come first, my death or my Cybertruck.
In the same boat. 72 Sept. We will see!!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
In all honesty, I am disappointed and actually pissed-off. Just make up your mind and don't do teaser dates. You got your reservations and a ton of $. I will be 72 this year and already had one heart attack so far. I wonder which will come first, my death or my Cybertruck.
Well, sheesh! If you were as smart and driven as Elon Musk than you could have dreamed up the Cybertruck first and brought it out last year so you could enjoy it longer. But Elon dreamed it up before you so he can build it when he's good and ready!

You are the one who's late! You knew your life was getting long in the tooth and still you waited for someone else to dream up the things you wanted before you died. I have no sympathy for your pouting, you, and you alone, are responsible for your happiness. :rolleyes:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The Taliban were never US allies - the Mujahideen were. The Taliban were kids in refugee camps when the Mujahideen were fighting for freedom. Once the US left, the Taliban formed to 'take back' their country from the factions that had formed in the aftermath. The Taliban revered the Mujahideen (and hated some: because some Mujahideen weren't religiously pure enough).
For a couple of years, I lived in Peshawar, a city near Afghanistan border where Mujahideen regrouped before going back to fight. I regularly saw Russian Migs bombing the mountains they were keeping under their control. Seeing Afghans with bullet holes in their Ghamis on the bus was a regular thing. Once the dude told me the ghamis he was wearing was his brothers’s (the bullet hole was on his chest). These dudes were tough; moving with heavy loads in snow covered mountains in the dead of winter was far from traveling in climate control CT. They definitely didn’t have much respect for Pakistanis. They told me U.S. guns they were suppose to get through Pakistan often found their way to Pakistan military instead. They usually ended up with old faulty guns Pakistan military was getting ready to discard.

Sigh.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people stuck to Tesla/Cybertruck/EV topics on this site and leave all the BS elsewhere? Frankly, I come here to get away from such nonsense. I can dream, though.
I feel your pain but there is so much we can do with a few Elon tweets in two years. B.S. is all we have to work with to keep the site running.

It'll DEFINITELY turn heads driving around Paris! And you don't have to worry about people opening their doors into your Cybertruck and leaving dents in yours. ;-) TRES bien!
a CT stuck in Paris streets blocking smart cars looking for a place to park would be a sight to see.

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
For a couple of years, I lived in Peshawar, a city near Afghanistan border where Mujahideen regrouped before going back to fight. I regularly saw Russian Migs bombing the mountains they were keeping under their control. Seeing Afghans with bullet holes in their Ghamis on the bus was a regular thing. Once the dude told me the ghamis he was wearing was his brothers’s (the bullet hole was on his chest). These dudes were tough; moving with heavy loads in snow covered mountains in the dead of winter was far from traveling in climate control CT. They definitely didn’t have much respect for Pakistanis. They told me U.S. guns they were suppose to get through Pakistan often found their way to Pakistan military instead. They usually ended up with old faulty guns Pakistan military was getting ready to discard.

I feel your pain but there is so much we can do with a few Elon tweets in two years. B.S. is all we have to work with to keep the site running.

a CT stuck in Paris streets blocking smart cars looking for a place to park would be a sight to see.
Well it's certainly true that owning a car in (central, at least) Paris is an INconvenience... due to the parking issue. And finding a parking space as large as the CT will be even more challenging. The other side, though, would be to have the CT take itself "home" and then come get you when you're ready to summon it to pick you up! :)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Well it's certainly true that owning a car in (central, at least) Paris is an INconvenience... due to the parking issue. And finding a parking space as large as the CT will be even more challenging. The other side, though, would be to have the CT take itself "home" and then come get you when you're ready to summon it to pick you up! :)
That would be a sight to see too. I remember last time they gave me a van instead of the small car I rented in Paris trying to go pickup my wife from our apartment when all the streets around the apartment were closed for an event. I had to park the car illegally a fair distance away run to the apartment, run back with a bunch of luggage. I wonder how FSD will handle a similar situation and how other drivers deal with a driverless CT. I have heard people don’t get as pissed when a robot misbehave as they do when a human does.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
What happens to the price? Inflation is rising, do we believe that we will still get these trucks at the 100 reserve price? I see this being a big problem. Of course I’m disappointed, but I’m happy to take a better spot in line if anybody below 80,000 is ready to bail :)
I work for a really big contractor and we have seen materials double or triple in cost over the last years. There is almost 3 tons of material on that truck let alone the soft cost and new fabrication methods. Most of those materials, steel, glass, copper, plastic resins, are still much higher in cost than 2 years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully if we get in the order process early we will get them for the reserve price but I do think they will try to make it up by shifting features to add on cost and I think they will only hold reserve cost for less than a year. I think the Y started increasing in cost quickly after about a year. I would guess an increase of $10k per option is where it will land.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
I work for a really big contractor and we have seen materials double or triple in cost over the last years. There is almost 3 tons of material on that truck let alone the soft cost and new fabrication methods. Most of those materials, steel, glass, copper, plastic resins, are still much higher in cost than 2 years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully if we get in the order process early we will get them for the reserve price but I do think they will try to make it up by shifting features to add on cost and I think they will only hold reserve cost for less than a year. I think the Y started increasing in cost quickly after about a year. I would guess an increase of $10k per option is where it will land.
I also worked(key word “Worked” retired now) with a very large manufacturing company that almost always secured pricing on supplies prior to providing a quote to a customer. Having said that, I’m sure Tesla has done pretty much the same. I see no increase in cost for the first years worth of production, after that? Who knows. Options will be a different stories, as there were no such thing when we placed our reservation. Hmmmm…. What are the options going to be?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I also worked(key word “Worked” retired now) with a very large manufacturing company that almost always secured pricing on supplies prior to providing a quote to a customer. Having said that, I’m sure Tesla has done pretty much the same. I see no increase in cost for the first years worth of production, after that? Who knows. Options will be a different stories, as there were no such thing when we placed our reservation. Hmmmm…. What are the options going to be?
Also, lost of the cost of the truck is the batteries and technology. Prices of that haven't gone up.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
With our many out of control wildfires in California, climate disruption is scarier than ever now.

Perhaps it's too late already for any climate fix at all. Some, including me at times, say we're already domed and nothing we can do now will save us from certain extinction. ... as positive feedback swings into play and skyrockets our ambient temperatures.

I think we all must change much more than we have any idea if we hope for any of us to survive.

And simply replacing an ICE truck with electric, only to keep towing huge unnecessary loads like some here suggest, won't really solve anything climate wise I don't think.

I think it's going to take a fundamental change in who we think we are for us to save us from this thermal disruption. CT is a good idea, but already too late in the game I think.

I think we need to see ourselves as in balance with our environment, not above it and trying to manage or control it. But this is unimaginable to most.

By the time CT rolls, I might well be beyond wanting one.

Hoping for a technological fix is smoking vaporware. The real solution comes from rethinking who we are.
Well said.
The real solution is massive, worldwide, electrified public transit (among with many other measures).
If everyone gets an EV, that is still unsupportable in the long run from an environmental perspective.
I would hope that Mr Musk will be tackling that problem soon, and I dont mean hyperloop, which is interesting, but not practical at scale.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I'm disappointed to say the least. With the information at hand my Oct 30th 2022 estimate has turned into (at best guesstimate) summer to fall of 2024.
IMO this is not a Tesla Fan Boy "Tesla will crush everyone" thing.

Yes Tesla is doing great. They sold about 300,000 vehicles in the US in 2020. And they busted ass to do it.

Ford sold about 2 million vehicles in the US.

IMO There is room for both companies in the post 2021 EV era. Tesla is ahead on commitment and focus to EVs, but Ford has a lot of plants, engineers, and logistics to throw at EVs - over time. It's true Ford can't turn their ship fast so they will lose market share to Tesla (and probably Chinese EVs) between now and 2024, but if Ford can improve on the Mach e and the Lightning, add some more models, and figure out the battery supply, they might be able to compete. Plus if they need financial aid, I think the US Government will stuff their pockets with loans/cash.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If he is # 500,000 on the waiting list.....he is waiting until 2024, at least.
It doesn't matter if they are number 1 or number 2,000,000.

An 8-12 month later production start just means your delivery is 8-12 months further out.

In fact it's possible Tesla will use the extra time and be able to ramp production even faster so that delay won't impact people with later delivery dates as much. Not holding my breath on this, but it is possible.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm semi-agnostic regarding batteries. The proven older 28xx are likely good enough for me.

What I care more about, re Fremont versus Austin, is:
* Paint quality and
* Dual front & back mega-castings.
* Overall fit and finish (re a new production line).

paint quality?

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
IMO this is not a Tesla Fan Boy "Tesla will crush everyone" thing.

Yes Tesla is doing great. They sold about 300,000 vehicles in the US in 2020. And they busted ass to do it.

Ford sold about 2 million vehicles in the US.

IMO There is room for both companies in the post 2021 EV era. Tesla is ahead on commitment and focus to EVs, but Ford has a lot of plants, engineers, and logistics to throw at EVs - over time. It's true Ford can't turn their ship fast so they will lose market share to Tesla (and probably Chinese EVs) between now and 2024, but if Ford can improve on the Mach e and the Lightning, add some more models, and figure out the battery supply, they might be able to compete. Plus if they need financial aid, I think the US Government will stuff their pockets with loans/cash.
Too many IF’s…
Sponsored