Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Threatening people is not a way to convince them to your side.

-Crissa
That was not a threat, Crissa. It was simply expounding on the military mode CTs already artistically suggested. It was meant for a "Oh yeah! That would be cool!" Just like the cool factor noted by Elon's envisioned applications. Someone will always object to a "Cool" vocalization about such things. It's also my right to express them, or at least it used to be.
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That was not a threat, Crissa. It was simply expounding on the military mode CTs already artistically suggested. It was meant for a "Oh yeah! That would be cool!" Just like the cool factor noted by Elon's envisioned applications. Someone will always object to a "Cool" vocalization about such things. It's also my right to express them, or at least it used to be.
So you didn't imply that you would shoot "anti-gunners" to keep their mouth shut one way or the other? Yes everything is a joke... but is it?

Last edited:

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Well, sure for the exoskeleton. We and everyone are counting on this simplicity. But there is also an inner skin, otherwise the inside door has a huge lip. The bed is the same. The suspension probably doesn’t connect directly to the exoskeleton either. We don’t know much about the inner skin or how it will be connected to the skeleton. I only mention this because it makes things at least a bit more complicated.
...i am curious about the inner skin...
...especially in regards to sound deadening...
...we don't know the impact of this new architecture on road noise...

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
...i am curious about the inner skin...
...especially in regards to sound deadening...
...we don't know the impact of this new architecture on road noise...
Road noise will be high by car standards, particularly if it has tires with the aggressive tread patterns it was revealed with - it's a real truck not a modern, luxury 'pretenda-truck" that are so popular with posers these days.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Let’s assume the delay is because they are trying to get that Avalanche mid gate design completely right before the update reveal. All of a sudden, it is worth the wait isn’t it?
If by "mid-gate" you are suggesting a side-opening tailgate, you will be sorely disappointed because that's incompatible with the light, rigid nature and the high load and tow capacities of the Cybertruck. Cutting all the way through the bed sides would be like negating what makes the Cybertruck such an awesome structure. At best there could be side access doors just behind the cab for smaller items without ruining the structural integrity of the design (as long as the opening was enclosed on top) but, since mid-doors weren't included in the reveal it would make it even more difficult for them to hit their $39K (RWD) and $49K (AWD) announced prices. I have heard there will be stowage compartments in the bed sides accessible from inside the vault.

When Musk first announced the prices of $39.9k, $49.9k and $69.9k prices my jaw just about dropped to the floor in disbelief of the amount of value they were offering in all versions.

As to side-opening tailgates, my bone-stock 2010 F-150 4x4 only has traditional bed access, it's impossible to unload any items while standing on the side of the truck. I'm 6 foot-4 inches tall and the sides of the bed are too tall to get anything out of the bed from the side. And this is normal with modern pickups from the legacy manufacturers. Guess what? Truck owners know how to deal with this.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I want this soo bad. Waiting has not made me a better person.
Do it like Elon does. Getting the paint right was not working out so he skipped it for CT. If being a better person is not working out, go evil. It is fashionable and popular these days.

I drooled over Chevy Avalanche for years but didn’t buy it. I need this.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Do it like Elon does. Getting the paint right was not working out so he skipped it for CT. If being a better person is not working out, go evil. It is fashionable and popular these days.

I drooled over Chevy Avalanche for years but didn’t buy it. I need this.
Good thing I think it wasn't such a good truck...

MZL23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When will Elon be posting updates to the CT? It’s been 2+ months since he tweeted out.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
When will Elon be posting updates to the CT? It’s been 2+ months since he tweeted out.
Perhaps Elon time works the opposite of dog years. So "a month or so" might actually be about 7 months. o_O

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am talking about this:

1610824960712.jpeg
Oh! Yes, cab to bed access is possible but not as the image shows (the opening is too big). The exoskeleton will need a bit more structure (a bulkhead) around that opening. Also, the roll-top vault cover needs tracks to ride in around that area so the opening cannot be wider than the roll-top cover. I know Elon indicated bed access from the cabin was a possibility but I don't see how they are going to do it at the announced prices. I hope they can!

This kind of feature is problematic on gas and diesel trucks because that area is susceptible to drawing exhaust fumes into the cabin if the sealing around the opening is not perfectly air-tight. The exhaust can swirl around in the bed. I know some trucks have sliding windows but those are up high away from the exhaust and a sliding window is easier to seal. EV's have no such issues!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps Elon time works the opposite of dog years. So "a month or so" might actually be about 7 months. o_O
Elon uses optimistic timelines to motivate his workers to stick to the schedule. On a project this mammoth, timelines have a habit of slipping as the "to-do" list snowballs in size. By putting it out there in the public, Elon lights a little fire under the team. That doesn't mean they will meet the timelines but it does tend to keep them more focused and helps prevent the whole project from snowballing into an unmanageable mess.

I want this truck as badly as anyone but it will be ready when it's ready no matter what Elon says. I hope he is actually sand-bagging a bit, trying to keep actual production timeline expectations lower than reality. There is no doubt this will be an unprecedented automotive achievement if they are able to pull it off and release it anywhere near the expected timeframe.
Sponsored