Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The original price did not account for Covid, War, inflation.

Say Tesla makes 30% profit from the $50,000CT.

Balance remaining $35,000 is cost. As per Elon, 15% of that is the cost of Raw materials. = $5250

Let's look at $35,000 and add 20%.... $7000. That could be your increase. More than double the cost of Raw materials... but I doubt it.

I know it's a mixed message. Tesla current model 3 and Y increases were happening well before shortage, part of that lever is to reduce wait times. Elon is coy after all.
Sponsored

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
With a 30% profit margin, costs could raise 20% and they'd still be profitable at the announced prices.

-Crissa
That would be dilutive to their overall product line though. Unless they want Wall street to slam the stock they will have to pass cost on to the consumer or bring their costs down…

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That would be dilutive to their overall product line though. Unless they want Wall street to slam the stock they will have to pass cost on to the consumer or bring their costs down…
Considering how much investors seem to the idea of a $25,000 “Model 2”, it seems like an affordable truck—which is what the Cybertruck was pitched as from day 1—would go over exceedingly well with investors.

People we’re worried about the Model 3 “diluting the brand“ also. Turns out that whole idea is a non-issue.

So long as its profitable, investors are going to love the Cybertruck.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Considering how much investors seem to the idea of a $25,000 “Model 2”, it seems like an affordable truck—which is what the Cybertruck was pitched as from day 1—would go over exceedingly well with investors.

People we’re worried about the Model 3 “diluting the brand“ also. Turns out that whole idea is a non-issue.

So long as its profitable, investors are going to love the Cybertruck.
I’m not referring to diluting the brand.
I believe the cybertruck will add value to the brand. I’m referring to dilutive from a margin perspective.
A large part of Tesla valuation is based on nontraditional profit margins and segments compared to the automotive industry

if a new product category like cybertruck start to look like the rest of the industry from a profitability perspective it could be viewed as a sign that the rest of the company will follow

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m not referring to diluting the brand.
I believe the cybertruck will add value to the brand. I’m referring to dilutive from a margin perspective.
A large part of Tesla valuation is based on nontraditional profit margins and segments compared to the automotive industry

if a new product category like cybertruck start to look like the rest of the industry from a profitability perspective it could be viewed as a sign that the rest of the company will follow
You mean like this?

Everything you are suggesting was said nearly verbatim with the Model 3 launch.

With the Model 3, Tesla made a car which was much easier to assemble. The Model Y was even easier to assemble. The result was better profit margins after 2 successive generations of lower cost products which many analysts thought would reduce Teslas margins but actually increased them.

The Cybertruck is designed to be another huge step forward in manufacturing. Structural pack, Tesla built cells, no paint, etc etc. It is made from the ground up to increase Teslas margins.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
You mean like this?

Everything you are suggesting was said nearly verbatim with the Model 3 launch.

With the Model 3, Tesla made a car which was much easier to assemble. The Model Y was even easier to assemble. The result was better profit margins after 2 successive generations of lower cost products which many analysts thought would reduce Teslas margins but actually increased them.

The Cybertruck is designed to be another huge step forward in manufacturing. Structural pack, Tesla built cells, no paint, etc etc. It is made from the ground up to increase Teslas margins.
Yep. That has been the plan/playbook for CT.
I trust it will eventually execute to it, but not at launch, especially since one of the main reasons for CT delays quoted by EM were that costs were too high….
It’ll get sorted at volume and after supply chain and political anomalies hopefully taper. But I can’t see anyone taking delivery of a $50K CT in the next 3 years if ever.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I trust it will eventually execute to it, but not at launch, especially since one of the main reasons for CT delays quoted by EM were that costs were too high….
It’ll get sorted at volume and after supply chain and political anomalies hopefully taper. But I can’t see anyone taking delivery of a $50K CT in the next 3 years if ever.
maybe true......but look at the Model Y coming from Austin now.....All are option colors.....very few white cars.....so I think that Elon will sell all high costed optioned out CTs at the beginning.....

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m almost certain Musk never said the Cybertruck was delayed due to costs being too high.

No idea if there will be a $50k Cybertruck.

But I would think the situation with the Austin Model Y would have put to bed any of this craziness that they need to ship expensive models first from new lines.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
maybe true......but look at the Model Y coming from Austin now.....All are option colors.....very few white cars.....so I think that Elon will sell all high costed optioned out CTs at the beginning.....
I can't wait to see what the high cost color options will be for the CT. ;)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’ll make sure to order the most expensive color Cybertruck no problem.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe we misunderstood. It was about producing millions of cars at $25,000 profit each.