Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Hi all....

I have a regular type-a USB drive, and the Cyber truck only has type c, except in the glove box which is type-a.

Has anyone been able to convert a type-a to type-c USB drive and get it to work from the USB type-c plug inside the front row center-console?

I got these A-to-C converters and they don't seem to be working, but they do light up.

If I plug in the same type-a USB thumb drive into the type-a port in the glove box the cybertruck plays the audio just fine.

I'd like to keep the glove box for dash cam recording only, but I guess I'll get a y cable if needed.

Here is the USB-C conversion plug, but it is not working for me. Just lights up but cybertruck does not see my thumb drive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395056369811
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Hi all....

I have a regular type-a USB drive, and the Cyber truck only has type c, except in the glove box which is type-a.

Has anyone been able to convert a type-a to type-c USB drive and get it to work from the USB type-c plug inside the front row center-console?

I got these A-to-C converters and they don't seem to be working, but they do light up.

If I plug in the same type-a USB thumb drive into the type-a port in the glove box the cybertruck plays the audio just fine.

I'd like to keep the glove box for dash cam recording only, but I guess I'll get a y cable if needed.

Here is the USB-C conversion plug, but it is not working for me. Just lights up but cybertruck does not see my thumb drive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395056369811
You may want to try a new USB drive with the conversion plug, some of the cheaper USB drives don't play well with those converter plugs.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I think that the one in the glovebox is the only one that supports connections to the computer. The others are power only.

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Had MS 2017 and at one point was able to play music (audio book) but software updates took that away. I presently record on smartphone and use Bluetooth connection to play audio Recordings

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I think that the one in the glovebox is the only one that supports connections to the computer. The others are power only.
Wonder if you can use a USB splitter hub to have multiple USBs plugged into the glove box unit?
One for media storage, music etc, and the other for camera footage.

Cold.Truth

First Name
Big A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD, 1987 Carerra, 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Occupation
I.T. Project Management
Country flag
I agree with Woorick in that I think some USB plugs are power only, while others are power & data. I had the same issue trying to use rear seat USB to play music on my 2017 Model 3. Cheers.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Wonder if you can use a USB splitter hub to have multiple USBs plugged into the glove box unit?
One for media storage, music etc, and the other for camera footage.
Yep. But you can also just make the correct directories and music will be in one place and camera stuff in another.

This is an example of "Tesla Stuff" and the Tesla forums are much better for these types of questions.

dwang

First Name
dw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model 3 long range
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
USB Flash Drives
Insert a flash drive into a front USB port (see USB-C Ports). Touch Media Player > USB, then touch the name of the desired folder. To play media from a USB connection, Cybertruck recognizes flash drives only. To play media from other types of devices (such as an iPod), you must connect the device using Bluetooth (see Bluetooth Connected Devices).
Note
Media Player supports USB flash drives with exFAT formatting (NTFS is not currently supported).
Note
Use a USB port located at the front of the center console. The USB connections at the rear of the console are for charging only.
Sponsored