Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
In Texas only one mirror. These things are coming off day 1.

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 547.602

"A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle."
Which mirror are you keeping? It's likely the center interior "mirror" will likely not be a mirror at all but a screen.
Sponsored

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
The person who posted the original photo said it was in Palo Alto. Does Tesla have a facility in Palo Alto? Usually we only see these guys gettin loaded or unloaded from an event.
Edit: Palo Alto is where Tesla's HQ was located before they moved to Texas.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Two things:

1 - new triangle mirrors
2BA39F22-4A85-4747-9DB5-86D8541D75B7.jpeg

2 - what’s going on with this backend? Appears to be a big box underneath messing up departure angle clearance. I’m sure it’s fine, but curious as to why so bulky back there. Could just be the angle. Regardless…lovin it
F4B9D42B-22BB-4415-8328-9F7150E815C3.jpeg
As others have stated, pretty sure its an aero diffuser. Probably just for testing though. i remember the early Plaid trimotor model S's had some huge diffusers, rear wings and chin spoilers for testing that later got wayyyy refined.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yea, HQ is deer creek or whatever it's called. I actually think this could be there even.
Don’t even think it matters myself.

If this is a Tesla employee, it’s a serious CLA to leak things like this. If it’s not an employee, it means we’re likely to see a fair number of sightings in the coming months. Tesla doesn’t “accidentally” leave trucks out.

This photo coming out the day after Musk talked about checking over the beta truck is not a coincidence.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe there will be neodium magnetic tow mirrors available in the aftermarket! I joke about that but magnets and suction cups (for gopro etc.) would work great with all the flat body panels.
Will magnets stick to this grade of stainless steel?

Zinc

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator, Tesla Cybertruck order 1 year.
Country flag
BTW, those wheels and tires are awesome. I want that. not the aero covers!
They partnered with a wheel company that will offer upgraded wheels in order. Those wheels look like 90s BBS wheels. This company has awesome real nice wheels.

samson

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Occupation
yolo'r
Country flag
Two things:

1 - new triangle mirrors
2BA39F22-4A85-4747-9DB5-86D8541D75B7.jpeg

2 - what’s going on with this backend? Appears to be a big box underneath messing up departure angle clearance. I’m sure it’s fine, but curious as to why so bulky back there. Could just be the angle. Regardless…lovin it
F4B9D42B-22BB-4415-8328-9F7150E815C3.jpeg
This could be for the big ass bed storage like the honda ridegeline in addition to aero but sure would suck in ground clearance and offroad but the adaptive suspension should be sufficient for most scenarios

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Which mirror are you keeping? It's likely the center interior "mirror" will likely not be a mirror at all but a screen.
I currently have 2 vehicles with a screen for the rearview mirror fed off a camera on the rear (and a third vehicle had it too which I no longer own) and they all had it where if you flipped that knob at the bottom which usually moves the mirror for day/night glare, it turns off the video feed and it acts/looks like a regular rearview mirror.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I currently have 2 vehicles with a screen for the rearview mirror fed off a camera on the rear (and a third vehicle I no longer have) and they all had it where if you flipped the knob at the bottom which usually goes from day/night on the mirror turns the video feeding and it acts as a regular mirror.
But the Cybertruck has a bed cover that blocks all rearward vision when closed and there may be very limited visibility when open. WOuld they even use an actual mirror there?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here is the video....

damn it sure does looking incredible.

In this video, the rear wheels are not turning at all. Maybe they are still working out the bugs on 4WS?

Also, it is driving on a public road or an un-gated private road so if it’s on Tesla property, it’s not any kind of secure area.

PS: It’s super annoying that they posted this on InstaGram. I keep all my Facebook crap in a separate browser so have to do a stupid little dance to see it. Post things on the public visible internet for F sake (I know this isn’t you Samson)

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't understand why there is no license plate, even testbed vehicles/prototypes need a license plate, at least in every state I've lived int.
I read that the late Steve Jobs NEVER had a rear license plate. Apparently, CA will allow one to drive a car without a license plate for six months or a year. Supposedly, Steve Jobs bought a new Porsche every year; thus he never had a rear plate.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
But the Cybertruck has a bed cover that blocks all rearward vision when closed and there may be very limited visibility when open. WOuld they even use an actual mirror there?
I am guessing yes, they would. If the system fails for some reason, you’d have the mirror as a backup, as bad as the view may be with the vault cover open, at least it’s still something.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I read that the late Steve Jobs NEVER had a rear license plate. Apparently, CA will allow one to drive a car without a license plate for six months or a year. Supposedly, Steve Jobs bought a new Porsche every year; thus he never had a rear plate.
Not sure this works anymore. They issue paper plates you have to have visible.
Sponsored