Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
One interesting (to me) question:

many states have max rear window tint rules, for among other things officer safety

if with the CT, someone partially rolls up the tonneau only enough to obscure the rear window, wonder how cops will react

there are plenty of bed toppers with no windows that have a similar effect, but those don’t quite have the same vibe as a rolled up armored rear window shield
Sponsored

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
in all cases, when the cybertruck will travel with the bed full of luggage, the tonneau should be closed and so we don’t have any rear view on the highway… a pity ! in my ram, when the tonneau is closed i still see the cars behind me 🤷‍♂️

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
many states have max rear window tint rules, for among other things officer safety
in all cases, when the cybertruck will travel with the bed full of luggage, the tonneau should be closed and so we don’t have any rear view on the highway… a pity ! in my ram, when the tonneau is closed i still see the cars behind me 🤷‍♂️
Any state that allows a panel van, box truck or pickup bed camper does not REQUIRE back window visibility. (I’m not an expert on State laws but my guess is, ALL states allow panel vans etc.)

The inside rear view “mirror” will actually be a video screen displaying video from a rear facing camera. Regardless of if you have the cover open or closed, bed empty or full of bales of hay, or transporting your Cyberquad, you will be able to see behind you with:

Outside rearview mirrors
Inside rear view screen
Video that can be displayed on main screen like all S3XY models.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
The rear video feed pumped into the rearview mirror will provide a fine view. We take many trips in my current Escalade ESV where the cargo area has bags and stuff stacked to the ceiling and the camera above the license plate that sends the video to the rearview mirror works just fine. It is a better view then what the mirror would provide if the cargo area was empty and I used the mirror, which I can say I have never done.

I’ll add, at least on my vehicle, it’s a separate camera other than then the backup camera that provides video to the rearview mirror. There are two camera’s above the license plate, each next to one another, one backup and one rearview.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Why do people keep acting like the world will be invisible when the tonneau is closed?

Camera mirror was a thing in the og prototype and even if it wasn't, screen backup camera is always accessible. Both will give you a better view than trying to look through the window. Blocked or not.

I'm getting real, "No I like my horse the way it is. What will I do when the car poops in the road? I'm not picking that thing up. Plus, what does it even eat?" Vibes

😆

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Any state that allows a panel van, box truck or pickup bed camper does not REQUIRE back window visibility. (I’m not an expert on State laws but my guess is, ALL states allow panel vans etc.)
yes, which is why I said:

there are plenty of bed toppers with no windows that have a similar effect, but those don’t quite have the same vibe as a rolled up armored rear window shield
In any event…

The inside rear view “mirror” will actually be a video screen displaying video from a rear facing camera.
I’ve seen one report that stated when the rear view video is off, there remains a mirrored surface. In theory this would allow someone to look out the back through the mirror when tonneau open, and/or switch to video when tonneau closed.

Looking at some of the better videos from investor day interior, you can clearly see the rear view is a mirrored surface rather than a screen. Caused some people to say it’s no longer a video, but for tonneau reasons that’s unlikely. The mirror to video setup wouldn’t be unique to the CT

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If you are reasonably bright, you will not roll it up when it’s covered with large amounts of mud, snow, or leaves.

But Tesla makes vehicles for all sorts of people so they likely have a leaf solution.
Just put the truck in "sub" mode and rinse the leaves and dirt off that way. Easy.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
This is interesting. So according to this (Patent?) document it obstructs the center rear window view when closed. The rear window seems marginal anyway so I suppose the cameras provide the best rear view.
If this were true there would be no point to the window.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
No, it doesn't obscure the window when open or closed, just when changing states.

It does obscure the view when closed, since the vault is opaque.

-Crissa
I've heard rumors the tonneau is going to be made of Aluminium oxynitride, the Security Guard for the Cybertruck heard it from the guy who refills the coffee machine.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why have a rear window at all? It's obviously not going to provide a view out the back when the cover is closed, which it will be 90% of time. If you have to carry anything in the back where it's not possible to close the cover, the item will likely block your view rearward. It would be just as easy to have a roll down panel (probably easier) as it would a roll down window. Why would you need to see inside a likely dark vault?
A lot of the time the truck will be loaded and open. If you have a motorcycle in the vault, it’s nice to be able to see it. Most of the time you have a load big enough to have the vault open, being able to monitor it will be nice.

Also, all those people who need a 6th seat will want to keep tabs on their mother in law in the vault.

ςyb3®tЯμ¢kℓ|gh†n!ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger
Country flag
Anybody remember the solar tonneau cover rumors? It'd be nice if it were a real thing but I have a hunch the power it would provide would be negligible. You'd need something that folds out to twice the surface area to get maybe enough for a day's commute. Where there any discussions about this at investor day?

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
Maybe the solor tonneau will be available on the 3rd Cybertruck refresh in 2040. Until then I don't see it being a cost efficient addition.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Anybody remember the solar tonneau cover rumors? It'd be nice if it were a real thing but I have a hunch the power it would provide would be negligible. You'd need something that folds out to twice the surface area to get maybe enough for a day's commute. Where there any discussions about this at investor day?
Lots of discussions about this previously if you search.

TLDR is you don’t need a ton of solar for it to be useful. Just getting 5 miles a day would be handy for a lot of things.

They didn’t say a lot of things on Investor Day so I wouldn’t read much into the lack of solar on the truck when the event wasn’t really about the truck at all.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Numerous options are expensive. Tesla would be silly to produce two trucks, one with and one without tonneau. Color, seats, and wheels are bad enough. They're more likely to limit options to things that can be added OTA after delivery like FSD, streaming, and seat heaters that a LOT of people just do not want.
By that measure, Tesla could just have the tonneau fully open when delivering the truck and then lock it there till the customer paid the extra optional fee to get the tonneau cover functionality. As long as the tonneau is permanently fully open, it would be the same as not having a tonneau.

The user can always just "remove" the tonneau in the same way. On the other hand, if the buyer wants to go extreme, they can cut out the tonneau so that even in the fully open position there is nothing showing. Seems kind of pointless to cut it out though.
Sponsored