What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
This is a big one for me. I'm really excited and hopeful about V2G, I think it's a great alternative to a gas peaker plant.
I keep seeing this over and over, Can someone explain why he wants V2G? What benefit is expected from it? Are there utilities in the US that have the desire to use V2G or have the infrastructure to support it? I suspect that people think that they are going to be able to buy and store electricity from the utility at a discount rate and then sell it back to them at a premium rate. Are there any utilities in this country interested in such an arrangement or rather enough of them to make Tesla consider installing the software and hardware mods necessary to make it possible? Would Tesla want to compete with its own product line by offering this?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I keep seeing this over and over, Can someone explain why he wants V2G? What benefit is expected from it? Are there utilities in the US that have the desire to use V2G or have the infrastructure to support it? I suspect that people think that they are going to be able to buy and store electricity from the utility at a discount rate and then sell it back to them at a premium rate. Are there any utilities in this country interested in such an arrangement or rather enough of them to make Tesla consider installing the software and hardware mods necessary to make it possible? Would Tesla want to compete with its own product line by offering this?
I did post a project being done in San Diego.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And of all people?? it was for you to read?. Not sure how it wi play out, but it does look promising for public transportation? sharing is caring?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And of all people?? it was for you to read?. Not sure how it wi play out, but it does look promising for public transportation? sharing is caring?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure if your a dad, but Happy Father Day to you Ajdelange and the Dads in the club. Enjoy the day with family everyone!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I understand the concept and even see how it might be useful in some remote areas with shaky grid ties (micro grid environment) and I can even see how the utility might benefit if they needed leveling but my question was "How do those of you who loudly proclaim your desire for it think you will benefit from it?" What would you be able to do if you had it that you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't?

I can't think of a single thing it would do for me so I am totally indifferent as to whether it is available when my CT is delivered. If it adds cost to the vehicle I definitely do not want it (unless someone can explain a benefit that I am unaware of and i guess that's what I am really asking someone to do).

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m curious about a lot, but only a couple things could be deal breakers, namely vehicle size and side mirror setup. New factory construction and eventual shipping dates are concerning as well - if I have to wait until 2023 for delivery I might just buy a Model Y instead.

In regards to towing range, I’m not expecting anything mind blowing. The laws of physics dictate range losses, there’s not much Tesla can do here outside of making bigger batteries.

I’m not worried about crumple zones or safety, as Tesla’s reputation speaks for itself here. It’s helpful to remember that frontal collisions involve thousands of times more energy than swinging a sledgehammer. The SS can be durable in day to day wear and tear scenarios, and still deform in crashes.

TardisMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck, Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Musician, jazz teacher
Country flag
Vehicle to grid is very important, and yes, Elon has talked about it before. With a million Teslas in the US alone, and millions more to come, using
I understand the concept and even see how it might be useful in some remote areas with shaky grid ties (micro grid environment) and I can even see how the utility might benefit if they needed leveling but my question was "How do those of you who loudly proclaim your desire for it think you will benefit from it?" What would you be able to do if you had it that you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't?

I can't think of a single thing it would do for me so I am totally indifferent as to whether it is available when my CT is delivered. If it adds cost to the vehicle I definitely do not want it (unless someone can explain a benefit that I am unaware of and i guess that's what I am really asking someone to do).
It would allow you to SEND electricity from your vehicle back to your house. That would allow you to power your house in case of a black out. Or, you could fill up your car in the middle of the night @ 5 cents per kilowatt hour, then sell in back to the elec company during the next afternoon @ 15 cents per kilowatt hour. (And yes, people are doing this now with their power walls. That not only makes you money, but allows the utility company to have storage to draw from during peak usages times (when we get home and flip on the A/C. Then they don't have to build another expensive, dirty, inefficient peaker plant.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Vehicle to grid is very important, and yes, Elon has talked about it before.
Yes he has and so has Straubel. What they both said was that Tesla would not be doing V2G in the foreseeable future. And that makes sense. It would compete with another product they sell and would degrade the battery in the car. Now that was a year or so ago. With the million mile battery the degradation issue goes away. In the future? Maybe.

It would allow you to SEND electricity from your vehicle back to your house. That would allow you to power your house in case of a black out.
In the first place that is V2H. The question here concerns V2G.

In the second place I can already do that and go for 10 days to two weeks without having to give up any of the range in my car that I might need to escape the kind of bad situation that loss of grid implies.

Or, you could fill up your car in the middle of the night @ 5 cents per kilowatt hour, then sell in back to the elec company during the next afternoon @ 15 cents per kilowatt hour.
No. Couldn't do that either. My utility sells power at 12 cents and buys it back (to the extent they are forced to by state law) for 12 cents.

(And yes, people are doing this now with their power walls.
Are you able to to that? Where are these people that do that? Or really, more to the point, where are the utilities than have the infrastructure to support V2G?

That not only makes you money, but allows the utility company to have storage to draw from during peak usages times (when we get home and flip on the A/C. Then they don't have to build another expensive, dirty, inefficient peaker plant.
My utility has storage to draw from at times of peak demand. Perhaps that's why they have no interest in doing what you are suggesting.

So I keep asking the question and get noise back but no answer. So I'll ask again, what benefit accrues to you if you have V2G? The Leaf has the capability to do VTG or at least some have been modified to be capable. If you had one of those in your garage would you be able to do any of those things you mention?

bymw

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
had Ford, Toyota, Honda, Audi, Lexus and of course Cybertruck
Country flag
camper option is a must for me, pullout stove/burner is a plus

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Will the truck have modern truck/vehicle features of other trucks? I'd assume yes, but then again my wife's 2012 Explorer has features that new Tesla vehicles do not. I really want this truck and I hope Tesla makes it complete in the features department, not just performance.

Nathon

First Name
Nathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 , Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I’d like to know three things. What will it have for wipers. I live in Idaho with lots of snow and junk that gets on the window, anything but traditional wipers probably won’t cut it. What are we getting for side mirrors? Once again, I don’t think cameras that can get the lenses all junked up will be a realistic option. And finally, are the prices the true price? Id pay for extras, but I really don’t like the sales price to reflect any potential savings that I may or may not get., like they show for buying other products., and get ten grand added at the end like the website. These are possible deal killers for me.

Wildfortune

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Tri-motor C/T to replace my Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired to a Hobby Farm
Country flag
Where will the windshield wipers sit? I've been studying the smooth transition from the hood to the class and can't see where the wipers will sit.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
What is the number one question you have about Cybertruck that could influence your purchase decision depending on the answer you get from Tesla (or Musk)?
Is the towing capacity guaranteed to be 14,000lbs or more? Both the commercial Dump Trailer and Equipment Trailer require this capacity. This pickup may well make the perfect local commercial vehicle for many of us.
Sponsored