What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What is your definition of a little longer?

4 years? No.
10 years. Maybe.

No one here on this forum knows with any finality. That's the best answer.

What do you think? What are your thoughts?
Agreed. It won’t be soon, not 4 years. The demand for the original is too great. Once it takes that promised cross country trip the reservations for Big Boy will get ever higher. They likely have a 4 year back log as it is.

If you are on the fence about getting one you should reserve one now. You can always sell it and buy a baby version later after they have caught up with the original orders (near or over 800,000 now).
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla will dump the ever expanding Big Ugly Screen, for dual screens - one dedicated to driver spec functions (maybe with heads up?) and the other for infotainment, navigation and background functions? Some redundancy could be built in too.
Since this is their first 6 passenger vehicle that may be a promising idea. Putting 3 across the front might make it difficult fir the driver to complete all his needed tasks on that screen.

Mantonelli

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3 motor
Occupation
Real estate developer
Country flag
Greetings everyone. I have been driving pick up trucks for over 43 years and we own 3 Tesla’s so I have some experience on these things. I thought maybe this could help you folks who don’t drive trucks or already don’t own a Tesla vehicle.

SIZE OF CT: I have always parked my truck outside in the driveway or on the street in front of my house. Although some trucks could park inside a empty garage, mine never seems to be empty. The CT is too long to park in my garage and needs to be shorter to be parked inside. My current residence doesn’t allow vehicles to park on the street and charging a Tesla outside is not an option so a reduction in length is really important., otherwise it would be a nightmare to charge at home.

RANGE: Folks, despite what I have read on some sights, Range is King! Always buy the longest range Tesla that you can afford. The truth is Tesla vehicles do not get the range they advertise. Not even close. Unless you just drive to the local store and back, range is way more important than you realize. First off, you only charge to 90% on a daily basis. So on the Tri-Motor which was said to offer 500 miles of range, that takes you down to 450 right off the top. I always drive with the AC on and that reduces range too. If you drive the freeways like I do, which is to say not 55-65, but more like 70-75 you will loose range. Any driving uphill will kill the range. Towing will kill the range. Then there’s battery degeneration which is hard to accept. You purchase a Tesla with a certain range, but it degrades and you loose another 3-5%. I charge every night to 90% and my 2017 MS P100D magically looses range overnight. An interesting note though is that when driving down a mountain you will gain range. I gain 16 miles of range coming down from 5,000 feet from my summer home.

INTERIOR STORAGE: All new modern pick up trucks have very good storage options. My MS is terrible for interior storage. Terrible. What a pick up Truck driver needs is a place to put stuff. That’s why 2 front captains chairs is the best solution. You want the large arm rest to use to place things on, write on Or use a laptop if you work from your truck and the massive compartments underneath for everything you carry with you. Also door pocket storage, and behind the back seat storage for ropes, flairs, tie downs etc. In fact anyplace they can design interior storage would be welcome.

SIDE MIRRORS: These are a must And required by law. I don‘t care about an effort to get around the side mirrors by using a camera. Ever try to use a camera when it’s wet, dirty, muddy, foggy or snowing. Forget about it. Side mirrors are for safety I use them all the time while driving, backing up and when I’m towing and when my bed or Vault is loaded blocking my view. Anybody who drives a truck knows this. They will have side mirrors. If a Tesla wants addd add additional side view camera, great but they must have mirrors first.

TAIL GATE OPTIONS: Since side loading is out due to the exterior design, tail gate options will be important for loading. I often remove the tail gate for forklift loading, and need it to lower all the way down sometimes. A hinged option would be nice too.

CHARGING OPTIONS; Dual charging ports would be great. This is a Big Vehicle and Tesla only provides a 20-25 charging cord. it is VERY important to place your wall charger as close as possible to your charge port side of the vehicle. Please don’t take this process lightly. Dual charging ports would help solve the issue of the location of your electrical supply and cord length problems. This is why the CT needs to fit inside a garage too. You simply cant charge your CT outside. I would like to see a Tesla provide a 35-50’ charging cord for the CT too.

SUPER CHARGING: Yes I do get free SC for my MS, but it’s still inconvenient at this time. Maybe in 5-7 years from now if a Tesla keeps adding to the SC Network it will be better but it’s not great right now. When all Tesla vehicles Get 600 miles of range it will be easier to drive a Tesla And in my opinion it will be game over for ICE cars. , But the majority of people still have Range anxiety. That’s a fact and it’s real.

TOWING: Yes I do tow and many of you will too. remember Range is king as towing will kill your range.

EARLY ODOPTERS: I worry about being one of the first ones to get a CT. If you do t already own a Tesla, you should be worried too. My 2017 MS was Top of the Line and was very expensive. Now you can buy one that is better and costs way less. I have the MCU 1 computer. It’s disappointing that’s the second version is way faster and better, which means I’m excluded from using all the features that Tesla pushes out unless I change the hardware. That will keep happening too. So if you. do end up getting an early CT. With all the problems and bugs that come with a brand new vehicle be prepared to accept that someone else who waited 2 years will have a better and cheaper CT with all sorts of features you won’t have and probably with even more range that you got.

DELIVERY SCHEDULE: Tesla doesn’t have a CT factory yet. They don’t have the Battery technology yet. I really don’t see the CT being shipped in masses until 2023 so your going to be waiting a long time. You will have time to watch, plan and get ready for your CT. it’s not surprising to me that at only a $100.00 deposit so many people got in line to order one, but I’m not expecting A high percentage of you to actually move ahead with an actual purchase. We all love Tesla but their not even close to being perfect and they certainly don’t match the build quality of Mercedes, Porsche, Ford etc.

No offense intended, just my thoughts.
I couldn’t agree with you more. Storage storage storage. My truck is basically my office.

RGVCybertruck

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jeep
Country flag
Well i just ordered!!! n i love everything bout the truck...... but how am i going to charge while towing a trailer...? unhook??? n charge...? i hope thats not the case..... anybody have any thoughts....... thanks!

PS the scenario would be for example towing on a long trip.... stoping at superchargers along the way........

Abacadabra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, replacing Wrangler and Model 3
Country flag
Well i just ordered!!! n i love everything bout the truck...... but how am i going to charge while towing a trailer...? unhook??? n charge...? i hope thats not the case..... anybody have any thoughts....... thanks!

PS the scenario would be for example towing on a long trip.... stoping at superchargers along the way........
We are assuming they will have a solution like pull-through stalls or extender cables or something of the sort. They will need these for the Tesla semi's as well, so they are well aware of the issue and are undoubtedly working on a solution

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
-Warrantee allowable for which mods (welding or drilling to add accessories like camper shell, utility box, etc?)
-Insurance costs
-Solar output options/costs, I really want this. But based on estimated output anything more than $3k is going to be a really poor investment unless just have to have.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Cybertruck, 2013 P85 S
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
What is your definition of a little longer?

4 years? No.
10 years. Maybe.

No one here on this forum knows with any finality. That's the best answer.

What do you think? What are your thoughts?
As a member of the community I was throwing out a question we'd like Tesla to answer, which relates to the thread.

Metallica1776

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 ford F-350, 2013 Ford F-250 Econoline coming soon the Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales Manager, Small Engine and Power Equipment Technician. Auto Technician
Country flag
So I have 2010 F-350 5.4 liter gas with over 196,000 miles I purchased new with only 39 miles. It has been a great truck and worked hard nearly every day of it's short life! Needless to say I am in need of a new Truck soon. I haul cargo in the bed and trailer's all the time plus plow in the winters. Will this Luxury Sport U-tillacross-truck have a plow available? Already have my Tri-Motor reserved and crossing my fingers!!!

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
how big is the passthru to the bed of the truck? im going use this truck for me and my two dogs and i will be doing a lot of camping/overlanding
I haven't heard that there is a pass through oh, that would be awesome!

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Two questions about the self driving.

If, when the time comes, I opt for the FSD (which I didn't specify on my reservation order), will I pay the "then" price -- or the extra thou?

Will there be some sort of "partial" self driving as a standard feature?
Elon said the price of FSD will continue to go up until it is unaffordable. He estimated about $100,000.. I would recommend locking in your price now with a simple $100 deposit.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As this thread illustrates, the CT is an experimental vehicle. Not a consumer car. Stainless alloy 30X, supposed FSD, new battery tech. Etc. To many valid questions to even ask. We're gonna be testdrivers of future EV tech.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Really, why $100,000? To me that price is absurdly high. Even accounting for the proposed shared use robotaxi idea, at that price you would never recoup your investment. That would be higher than full cost of the Trimotor with all options. The only people who could afford both the CT and FSD at 100k are rich alcoholics who had their driver’s license revoked.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know everybody has their opinion. Mine is FSD will never really work. I was trained as most of us were to be alert and be ready for the unexpecte to happen. To hover the brake pedal when crossing certain intersections and to expect a small child or dog to follow a bouncing ball into the street. Will I trust that a camera or sensor will save that child? I don’t think so.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I know everybody has their opinion. Mine is FSD will never really work. I was trained as most of us were to be alert and be ready for the unexpecte to happen. To hover the brake pedal when crossing certain intersections and to expect a small child or dog to follow a bouncing ball into the street. Will I trust that a camera or sensor will save that child? I don’t think so.
That's the beauty of using Autopilot. You can hover over the brake anytime you feel things could be needed. You have less on your plate, and can focus on whatever you want to focus on. You are the driving instructor riding along with a very talented student driver.
Sponsored