What will it typically cost to recharge a dual motor at a Tesla charging station?

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Worst case is that I spent a more than a dollar per kWh last January topping off my bike. This can happen easily given peak time charges or per-visit minimums.

Heck, I got charged a buck last month and the EVSE didn't give me any watts. I had to go to the bank to get my buck back. What a pain! Luckily those sorts of fees are being phased out over the next five years. And they're the exception rather than the rule.

Peak electricity in say, San Diego, is over 60¢ a kWh. Ionity was charging 79¢ a kWh plus fees this year: https://electrek.co/2020/01/17/ioni...hicle-charging-prices-500-percent-january-31/. So just like watching out for that one gas station in the pass charging you twice the going rate... Well, it can happen.

Tesla tries to average out their prices, but they did add in peak hour charging now, so we'll have to watch for that. It's not the usual, though. For home charges and office-park fast chargers (which is a trickle for a Cybertruck but worth it if you're there for more than an hour, especially in inclement weather) many are free or very, very cheap.

-Crissa
Here in NNY, there are a couple of DC fast chargers that’s are free, but only one that has chademo. Those are definitely an exception, not the rule.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here in NNY, there are a couple of DC fast chargers that’s are free, but only one that has chademo. Those are definitely an exception, not the rule.
CHAdeMO peaks out at 50kW so it really will be a last choice for a Cybertruck, just above a Destination Charger ^-^

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I generally try to ignore the noise but when blatant misinformation is presented I will step in. A destination charger will deliver 11.52 kW to your modern Tesla. A CHAdeMO charger will deliver 50 kW. That's 4.32 times faster. Should the CT be equipped with dual charge ports and your destination charger have two available heads then you could take 23 kW from it. A single CHAdeMO will give you twice that. If, and I suppose this is really a fairer comparison, the CHAdeMO charger has 2 heads as well then we are back to it charging at 4.3 times the destination charger's rate.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I generally try to ignore the noise but when blatant misinformation...
Installed Destination chargers have up to 22kW. Yes, current chargers don't, and current Tesla's don't have the capability to use it.

It's not misinformation. We don't know the capability of the Cybertruck. We don't even know if the CHAdeMO adapter will work with it... the CCS adapter doesn't work with the 3/Y.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess you can pay even more than that if, for example, you leave your car at a SuperCharger and go off to see War and Peace. If you took on 60 kWh and incurred 60 minutes of idle fees you'd be at $1.28/kWh. Anyway I thought people might want to see some ¢/mi numbers so thanks for posting that.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Where I live in flyover country, the marginal cost of retail electricity is more like 7.5¢ per kWh, or 3.75¢ per mile (guesstimated) for energy.
[/QUOTE]

I figure driving the CT will be like buying diesel for $.80 a gallon!

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
CHAdeMO peaks out at 50kW so it really will be a last choice for a Cybertruck, just above a Destination Charger ^-^

-Crissa
I’d say that too. Free has an appeal all of its own though. There is a free on near me that is around 25 kw, which would be twice as bad.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We do not have time of day charging here and our price is just under US average but they are asking to raise it again...

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We do not have time of day charging here and our price is just under US average but they are asking to raise it again...
Bummer. National grid has “Special Time of Use”, you have to provide an electric car registration, you pay more during peak times and much less from 11-7am. After one year they provide a break down of what it would be under standard rates, and you can switch back if it didn’t save you money. That won’t happen, at least with me.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Optimum charging profile depends on battery chemistry and how well the temperature of the battery is controlled. Will the CT use the same chemistry as the current Tesla cars? Someone knows but I certainly don't.
Current Tesla's use a number of different battery chemistries and tweaks depending upon the particular model, the intended market and when it came to market. Elon has said the Cybertruck will share the same high-nickel battery type of the Tesla Semi. This will provide the highest power/weight ratio and is a more expensive battery due to the higher nickel content. It also allows faster charging/longer life.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am new to electric vehicles so the expense involved with owning one is a big deal to me. I spend quite a bit on gas with my current truck and average 15mpg. @ 2.50 per gal. After reading the previous comments it sounds like the cost of charging is est. a little less than half the cost. I must say I was expecting much better savings from driving an EV
Well your Toyota Tundra is not nearly as badass. It sounds like you don't need a Cybertruck's far superior towing/hauling capabilities.

Having said that, it's odd that you don't think that more than HALVING the operating expense of a Toyota Tundra is very good! o_O

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, if you tow a lot with a fossil truck you're supposed to change the oil and filters more often. And don't neglect transmission maintenance!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, if you tow a lot with a fossil truck you're supposed to change the oil and filters more often. And don't neglect transmission maintenance!
You're right. They were comparing fill-up costs without looking at the longer picture. Every mile taxes a conventional engine closer to the next maintenance period. While an electric motor only needs to be checked, really, if something goes wrong.

Most of your charges will be at home. So even if you spend 60¢ a kWh while out, most of your miles are at your home price (or solar)

My little charts had only basic fluids... Not overhauls and transmissions.

Even at a low gas price, 15 mpg is probably 2x the per mile cost of a high Californian electricity pushing a Cybertruck in its worst estimate. And that's without those long, expensive maintenance calculated, or all the benefits of having something without emissions and can charge off of anything.

-Crissa
Sponsored