What will surprise you at the event?

What are the things that will surprise you the most at the presentation?

• Total voters

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
@JBee I’ve seen cite chapter and verse, CAD files and all, around how double stacking is largely unworkable

I don’t understand any of it very well, but it feels convincing 🤣
He's referring to a 2170 non structural double stack pack, that was the intention back in 2019.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
He's referring to a 2170 non structural double stack pack, that was the intention back in 2019.
A non-structural pack in the “exoskeleton” design? 🤔

Well, that’s …. odd

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Obviously you've never been on a sailboat. Sails are for chillin.

chillin.jpg

And sometimes they make you go!!!
‘Is that you?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
From my calculations and CAD drawings I think there's enough room to get around 3000 cell
@JBee I’ve seen cite chapter and verse, CAD files and all, around how double stacking is largely unworkable

I don’t understand any of it very well, but it feels convincing 🤣
I didn't mean that what's inside the pack is irrelevant to the strength of the structural pack. What I meant is they can design to a certain exterior size pack and fill it with cells, or something else, based on how much battery they want in there. Whatever they use besides cells will have to provide the same strength, obviously, mostly against compression.

The relevance of the X and the Y in this discussion, is that Tesla claims the 4680 can provide significantly more energy storage per square foot of vehicle than previous designs. So the Y being lower range was likely due to poor quality or expensive results from initial 4680 production. Same with the CT, knowing the X can fit 100kWh in a smaller form, either they aren't filling it with all of the cells they can, or the cells aren't performing (yet) where they hoped. But for certain the truck is physically capable of housing a bigger battery, now or in the future.
Started a thread here to discuss the structural pack:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ttery-pack-how-does-it-work.9731/#post-193908

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Yeah, that's me a few years ago without a beard in San Diego sailing an old America's Cup boat.
Thanks for sharing that. Made my morning.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The 4680 pack on the short lived Model Y SR AWD would suggest a partially full structural pack to be possible. Unless those 'bolsters' running down the sides are there for side impact protection. In which case it's going to be many years before we see a 500mi range Cybertruck given a ~40% increase in energy density is no joke.

tesla-4680-battery-cells-and-structural-pack.jpg
I am fairly certain that they will be double stacking the pack for the longer range option.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Yeah, that's me a few years ago without a beard in San Diego sailing an old America's Cup boat.
Travelling by Kombi in 1983, we stopped at Airlie Beach to sail on the white fibreglass Gretel, or Bacchas D the wooden 60 foot long ex America's Cup challenger. I was asked by the Captain if l wanted to take the helm.
We sailed with about 30 on board to selected small Islands to be 'shipwrecked' for a week. The following day, Bacchas D returned to collect us off our Island, as a Cyclone was about to hit! It turned round the next day........bummer!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Travelling by Kombi in 1983, we stopped at Airlie Beach to sail on the white fibreglass Gretel, or Bacchas D the wooden 60 foot long ex America's Cup challenger. I was asked by the Captain if l wanted to take the helm.
We sailed with about 30 on board to selected small Islands to be 'shipwrecked' for a week. The following day, Bacchas D returned to collect us off our Island, as a Cyclone was about to hit! It turned round the next day........bummer!
That's awesome. Gretel is a beautiful boat! Here's a nice write-up about her at the America's Cup in 62. The boat I was on in those photos, is USA-11 Stars and Stripes.

https://historyinpieces.com/research/americas-cup-gretel-cuban-missile-crisis

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Other: Right Hand Drive ( Australia, UK, Japan, New Zealand etc.) SERIOUSLY
That should not be that difficult especially if it is drive by wire. Selling and servicing in Australia may be more of an issue initially.

That looks like good living. I tried sailing with my wife on a small boat once and it almost ended up in divorce. But even with that short experience, I could see getting addicted to moving that fast without the sound of an engine.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That should not be that difficult especially if it is drive by wire. Selling and servicing in Australia may be more of an issue initially.

That looks like good living. I tried sailing with my wife on a small boat once and it almost needed up in divorce. But even with that short experience, I could see getting addicted to moving that fast without the sound of an engine.
This is me going super fast without the sound of an engine. :p

Tesla Cybertruck What will surprise you at the event? ponds86

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
You know where that was discussed? I tried looking but didn’t find anything.

I’d like to know exactly what “room for more” means. I’m just not sure how they differentiate between “it was designed to hold more but isn’t” vs “looks like they could have fit more cells over here and over here” sort of armchairing.
As I recall there was possibly room for 2 more strings in the m Y

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I am fairly certain that they will be double stacking the pack for the longer range option.
With the way the design of the truck has evolved, structural pack and reduction in dimensions (read: rear headroom), I don't see a double stack being likely. Which is why I previously mentioned that if pack volume is fully utilized on the ~300mi variants, it would mean a long wait before we see a ~500mi model materialize.
Sponsored