SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
You are aware that with 500 mile EPA range you will get actual range of between approximately 400 and 550 miles and that with 499 mile EPA rating you will get between approximartely 400 and 550? You are also aware that with time the battery will degrade and the rated range will go below 500? I think you need to think about this a bit more.

But it is almost cerain that the EPA range will not come in below 500.
I know I already replied to this, but I was thinking about it a little more with regard to the current Tesla battery warranties. I feel I'm in for a letdown and I've begun the mental preparation for what I feel is coming.

Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Standard Range8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

I will 100% own the truck for at least 10 years...more likely 15 years and I've never got rid of a vehicle with less then 150k miles on it (though my current F150 has 112k on it and depending on the CT delivery timeline, I may let the F150 go early). But, I'm going to want the "500+" mile range for the duration of my ownership (15 years). The only caveat to that would be if the charging infrastructure and rates (pace not price) make charging more comparably convenient to filling up an ICE truck in the locations that are driving my need for the 500+ range piece of mind.

I know this chart doesn't have the CT battery warranty listed, nor has there been mention (that I can recall) of the what the 4860 warranty would be, but 70% of 500 is only 350 miles and that's only for 8 years. That's definitely not going to cut it for me and I'd pass on the purchase. Even if it was 70% for 15 years, I don't know that I would be Ok with that. I want the CT battery warranty to read 15 years or 250k miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 80% retention of battery capacity over the warranty period. Even then, if the range is an EPA stated 550 miles, the guarantee would only be for 440 miles. Again, I'd probably pass on the purchase...but I'd think hard about it. If the 610 range speculation turns out to be correct then a 15yr/250k/80% guarantee would get me to 488 miles. I'm good with this. So to your point...I've thought about this a bit more, and my new stance is that I will require 488 miles of guaranteed range for 15 years...or a lot more remotely located (small mountain town) quick chargers.

I'm prepping myself for the letdown and thinking about some changes I want to make (money I want to spend) on my F150 now that I'm starting to think more and more that I won't be a CT owner with the first wave. Chrome delete and an upgraded sound system should hold me over for another 5 years. Then I'll have to re-evaluate the E-truck situation.

Last edited:

2000prerunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
The one and only issue I might have with it is the suspension. It's 99% going to have double wishbone suspension front and rear (IFS/IRS) with that air ride setup. That's great for most individuals and what most people do off road. Unfortunately if you are into more "high speed" off roading ( "Ford Raptor style") then you know how important suspension upgrades can be (like large aftermarket shocks , hydraulic bump stops, wider long travel aftermarket suspension parts, stronger CV joins...). I'm sure it will be no worse than something like a stock Tacoma or full size truck now days. the only difference is it will be harder or not possible, to upgrade to a real coil over type shock (from Bilstein, Fox, King, Icon) which can be done easily for current trucks (bolt on upgrade). For how heavy the cyber truck is going to be I would think a minimum of a 3.0" diameter coli over per wheel with remote reservoir(if not duel shock setup, coil over + bypass shock) is needed. Also just based off suspension pictures and basic laws of suspension geometry (and CV angles) the cyber should have about 8" of total wheel travel . I am not talking about adjusting ride height at all. Total wheel travel. That's not very much wheel travel for a heavy truck trying to go 25-40 mph through some woops in the desert. It's going to bottom out hard. Another negative point for high speed off roading is the air spring. That's not so great because shocks can reach up to 300-400* F under heavy use. All that heat also goes into the air spring and will totally mess up with the air rides spring rate (hot gas = higher pressure) . Absolutely no one uses air suspension in off road racing or rally. maybe some light weight sand rails use them but over all not good at all for "go fast off roading".

Even if you wanted to install long travel suspension due to the stainless steel unibody it would be impossible to make the fenders wider and make shock mounts on the chassis. Unless you are good at welding stainless?

Other than being slow and lame in the desert, I have no other issues with the truck. Should do everything else great! If you don't live in So Cal, NV or AZ then it shouldn't bother you . But if you have access to desert trails and actually use your truck off road, maybe just haul out your side-by-side, prerunner truck or sand car with the cybertruck instead lol.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Only thing holding me back is the fact that I have a perfectly good running paid for vehicle..
I ordered the twi-motor with FSD, but I have a 2019 Jeep Rubicon will take me places the CT won't be able to, can't take the top and doors off (done all year except summer in southern Arizona) and it is paid off. I do have a 2-3 year plan to simply convert the Jeep to BEV. Since it the most modified vehicle in the US (if not the world) with the highest resale value of any vehicle in the US, conversion kits at SEMA should be hitting in 2022 or 2023. It is easy to work on and garage mechanics would jump on a conversion kit. Probably two days work to pull the engine and fuel tank, install the motor, batteries, cables, etc and install a new PCM. I only want to that with a kit that ensures I keep my 6-speed manual transmission and transfer case though. The other benefit of converting verses buying new is I can keep the modifications I already made.

The off-roading capabilities between the electric motor, the 4:1 transfer case and a manual tranny would be off the charts. I would be happy with 300 miles of range (I get over 400 miles on a tank of fuel now). Having a vehicle with no top or doors on out in nature can't be beat.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I really don't know. The Cybertruck into was taken, and not returned for us to evaluate to see how, or even if it still meets our needs. This may well be by design. I was at 110% a year ago - today, it's hard to say. There are many questions to be answered and nobody is answering much; and with an ongoing chip crunch, I don't know how quickly this will be resolved.

I need to see the revised stats and specs, period. After covering those extensively, I'll give you an accurate updated number. I hope to be back heavily into it. I'm concerned that the lack of talk is because we were given too much voice early on, and you can put too many gadgets into something and make it a nightmare to build, to service, and to own. I hope to just get the stats and specs at some point. peace

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I really don't know. The Cybertruck into was taken, and not returned for us to evaluate to see how, or even if it still meets our needs. This may well be by design. I was at 110% a year ago - today, it's hard to say. There are many questions to be answered and nobody is answering much; and with an ongoing chip crunch, I don't know how quickly this will be resolved.

I need to see the revised stats and specs, period. After covering those extensively, I'll give you an accurate updated number. I hope to be back heavily into it. I'm concerned that the lack of talk is because we were given too much voice early on, and you can put too many gadgets into something and make it a nightmare to build, to service, and to own. I hope to just get the stats and specs at some point. peace
I'm curious, are you assuming the lack of updates on the Cybertruck is an indicator that the specs have somehow become inferior to the announced version?

The Cybertruck is definitely a magnificent piece of work on paper, and the specs we have been told are second to none. However I don't see much evidence to believe that Tesla can't deliver on it's promises and the only thing that I think would prove to be difficult is the range. If we look at each spec of the Cybertruck, it seems like something Tesla can do.

0-60 in 2.9 seconds - This will probably require ideal conditions and specific tires, but Tesla did 1.99 seconds in the model S plaid. model X plaid is supposed to do it in 2.5 seconds with a weight closer to that of the Cybertruck.

SS exoskeleton / armor glass - this is pretty much a definite, i'm sure Tesla has been stocking up on these materials recently for the upcoming production.

towing capacity - this one would have been more of an estimate since they only had the dual motor when they announced the towing specs. However with a solid exoskeleton, and three motors I think it's likely doable. The model X is rated for 5000lbs as just an suv. Something we also need to remember is just like 0-60 times, it's more than just the truck that matters and you'll need a proper set up if you plan to regularly tow that much weight

Rolling cover - Shouldn't be an issue since it's a bunch of pieces on a track, it'll be interesting to see possible maintenance issues in the future with it but we'll see.

Battery range - definitely the biggest potential for failure. The Model S plaid + was the only other Tesla supposed to break 500 miles, the Model S itself is just about 400 miles. Since the Model S Plaid is possibly the same motors as the Cybertruck and that car is under 400 miles, it'll be interesting to see how Tesla will make the Cybertruck which is bigger, heavier, larger tires, and higher drag coefficient. The larger wheel base will help a ton for increasing the size of the battery, but that's still a big leap from their current range to 500+

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
What would make me not order the Cybertruck is if the final dimensions don't fit in my garage. I will have no where to charge that's convenient. I don't have a driveway. I could park it at a nearby free charger and walk home every time I charged, but that would be painful. I could charge it at work, but I may not be there much longer and I usually work from home. Losing the convenience of charging in my garage would likely kill it for me, especially when I have a pretty damn good alternative in the Model Y.

If that's the case then I'll likely order the Model Y Performance, might even consider the Model S, but likely go for the Model Y.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
There's one thing that could create an issue. If VW finally gets off their butts and start producing the ID Buzz van. My wife loves the look and concept. So there could be some serious discussions. I think I would win and bring home a Cybertruck.;)

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
There's one thing that could create an issue. If VW finally gets off their butts and start producing the ID Buzz van. My wife loves the look and concept. So there could be some serious discussions. I think I would win and bring home a Cybertruck.;)
Happy spouse, happy life. If you are happy with your CT, by law, she will be happy too.

make sure to tell her. ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If VW finally gets off their butts and start producing the ID Buzz van.
Well, you can always have both and see which fits your use better. In either case, you get your Cybertruck, maybe trade it in for a cute ID.Buzz, maybe not.

Cybertruck is next year, ID.Buzz is... Prolly two years out? At earliest?

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Having a low reservation number on Avalanche EV with original mid-gate, reasonable price and range.
I enjoyed my avalanche but the specs on the EV version would need to be overwhelming to convince me to buy again. Maybe my wallet is still in shock for all the times I filled it up.Lots of fond memories.
Sponsored