Where to mount VHF/UHF and HF antennas on Cybnertruck?

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Why not have external mounting points in certain places and a conduit that runs from the bed to the cab that can be used to route wires for aftermarket gear.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
e.

Thinking Cybertruck might be semi-submersible, I am thinking of penetrating (with a drill, oh, no!) this area... Dunno about how one can fish a cable that route. :( Thanks, KN6KEZ

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.07.45 PM.png
Horrible ground plane trap.

Wait. Tesla factory attachments will provide roof mount points that enable fishing or raceway to junction block

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
1. Throw it in the frunk.
2. Clip it to the sail pillar.
3. Drill underneath straight into the battery pack
4. Epoxy it into the bed
5. Duct tape it to the rear view mirror camera
6. Plug straight into the 220 volt outlet
7. Bail wire it to the muffler bearings
8. Connect directly to the built in radio antenna

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
...and what about a front winch?
Winch in the rear, pulley at the rear and front, sling Calle under truck, problem solved. Forgot to mention duct tape.

Even if I don’t need, hope there is a front mount and power options for the winches, plows and road warrior flamethrower guitar guy to plug in.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
3M 5200 for mounting. Passing the cable into the cabin is the true unknown.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I was wondering myself where could be drilled for an NMO mount. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what options there are when the trucks actually hit the ground. I’m sure once people get their hands on the truck someone will come up with a clever mount.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I made my own bracket for my current truck. It's not rocket surgery.

Tesla Cybertruck Where to mount VHF/UHF and HF antennas on Cybnertruck? 1632773555838

Wire entry did require drilling...

Tesla Cybertruck Where to mount VHF/UHF and HF antennas on Cybnertruck? 1632773569886

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
I need to mount my VHF/UHF ham antenna, mag-mount is out of the question and glass coupling antennas suck (rf-wise) on Cybertruck windshileds with a lot of Alu content. Also, clip-on concept is gone for the Cybertruck body, IMHO. Where the heck can I mount an antenna that is fed by a coax cable? Drilling 3mm thick steel? Oh no. Any suggestions?
1632279386578.png
Uh hello, 21 century requires starlink. Y'all do know all Teslas are connected to the internets? Lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Even if I don’t need, hope there is a front mount and power options for the winches, plows and road warrior flamethrower guitar guy to plug in.
Musk is telling Leno "This is where the guy with the flaming guitar stands, he'll be able to plug in his amplifier on the back passenger side where we have 110v AC..."

Tesla Cybertruck Where to mount VHF/UHF and HF antennas on Cybnertruck? 1632797779729

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Musk is telling Leno "This is where the guy with the flaming guitar stands, he'll be able to plug in his amplifier on the back passenger side where we have 110v AC...
If Tesla ever does a commercial for the Cybertruck this guy needs to be standing in the bed playing the bagpipes.

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
This is the big problem with trying to plan for a car nobody has driven. We haven’t even seen them actually open the sail pillar doors yet. For all we know the frunk, sail pillars, and under vault storage don’t work at all on the prototype. (This is my assumption actually)
And there we have that. Even when you can look closely at a vehicle, there will be surprises when you actually start hanging stuff in it. The only way to be sure is to buy a public safety package which is not available on many vehicles. With that, you can get conduit for routing cables. Add a public safety console and off you go.

How well do cell phones work from inside Teslas? I have not tried, so can't say. There are a number of urban agencies that no longer bother with mobile radios and simply rely on handhelds. Most public safety radios use cellular for data. Some add antennas and some don't. In the built up urban areas where I see most Teslas, it is getting hard to lose signal on cellular, but there are still rural areas without saturation cellular coverage.

Using a handheld inside a vehicle is not a solution for many hams or members of SAR communities that work in remote areas. The external antenna is required and the best point is the center of the roof which is not an option here. Offsetting the antenna to the edge affects radiation patterns. The middle of the frunk lid may be the best option. My portion of the SAR community has decided to stop cutting holes for antennas in the middle of the roof and use glass mount antennas. We have had a noticeable loss of signal quality in remote areas, but when people don't understand rf, so it goes.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How well do cell phones work from inside Teslas?
Fine... but the glass in the Cybertruck is supposed to be completely different and sounds like it has some metallic components so likely *not good* for signal quality.

I suspect there will be a good solution. After looking at it, it looks like there might be some way to get into the vault area either through the sail pillars or below there. Once you are in the vault or a sail pillar, I suspect you'll have lots of options.

I hadn't realized you were SAR from your above posts, yeah you guys definitely need HAM.

My wife broke her leg in a pretty remote place and we were *very lucky* there was a cell signal. Half a mile away we'd have been screwed. Unfortunately, they just sent an ambulance crew and not a proper Search and Rescue team. While they did the medical stuff and had the equipment but we wound up doing a huge chunk of the extraction work ourselves because they were just not capable outdoors on a rugged trail/ wilderness area. We very nearly had injuries on the extraction team.

Anyhow, seriously appreciate you guys. If I get my truck before you do, I plan on doing me an AMA and I'll see if I can chase down a route for you.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I go lots of places with groups of people where we need radios to talk to each other. Nobody else is going to have Starlink besides me, LOL. And I've learned from experience that a mounted radio with an antenna (as shown above) can get me to a repeater over 60 miles away, while a handheld in variable terrain is sometimes limited to under 2 miles. Enough that I've been able to talk to a group that split off with my mounted radio and absolutely nobody else could with the handhelds.

And...a good antenna on a handheld also makes a huge difference. But most people roll around with a 4" stub and call it fine.

I was first licensed in amateur radio in 1979, I've build a radio system or two.

Where are we going to mount the CB? Some places still use that. Low band AM is going to be even more complicated, maybe.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla ever does a commercial for the Cybertruck this guy needs to be standing in the bed playing the bagpipes.
Maybe one of us needs to chase this guy down when we get our truck and do a DIY commercial. I wonder if I'd get pulled over for driving around with a flaming bagpiper standing on the truck bed...

Honest officer, I didn't realize there was a law against flaming bagpipers on the back of your truck...
Sponsored