Where to mount VHF/UHF and HF antennas on Cybnertruck?

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
My organization has its own systems authorized by NTIA rather than FCC. We are not allowed to use ham though anything goes in life or death. The moment I put my uniform on, I cannot transmit on anything but our authorized frequencies unless it is life or death and nothing else will work. I am not justifying it, just quoting what we are bound by.

SAR is interesting stuff and my state won't use my organization for much since we have our proprietary certifications rather than FEMA ones plus they are probably afraid we might bring cadets and they aren't comfortable about minors doing SAR in any capacity. I think use of cadets requires a great deal of care and thought, but we can use them on a federal mission. Some of our cadets are exceeding well trained and fit and quite capable, but so it goes.

A lot of local agencies are adding hazardous incidents teams that can do real SAR work, but most ALS and BLS units don't have the equipment or the ratings for it.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about people getting radios into Teslas, so please put it up when you can.

I hadn't realized you were SAR from your above posts, yeah you guys definitely need HAM.

My wife broke her leg in a pretty remote place and we were *very lucky* there was a cell signal. Half a mile away we'd have been screwed. Unfortunately, they just sent an ambulance crew and not a proper Search and Rescue team. While they did the medical stuff and had the equipment but we wound up doing a huge chunk of the extraction work ourselves because they were just not capable outdoors on a rugged trail/ wilderness area. We very nearly had injuries on the extraction team.

Anyhow, seriously appreciate you guys. If I get my truck before you do, I plan on doing me an AMA and I'll see if I can chase down a route for you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
Maybe one of us needs to chase this guy down when we get our truck and do a DIY commercial. I wonder if I'd get pulled over for driving around with a flaming bagpiper standing on the truck bed...

Honest officer, I didn't realize there was a law against flaming bagpipers on the back of your truck...
OUTSTANDING!

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I need to mount my VHF/UHF ham antenna, mag-mount is out of the question and glass coupling antennas suck (rf-wise) on Cybertruck windshileds with a lot of Alu content. Also, clip-on concept is gone for the Cybertruck body, IMHO. Where the heck can I mount an antenna that is fed by a coax cable? Drilling 3mm thick steel? Oh no. Any suggestions?
1632279386578.png
Antenna mount on trailer hitch. Don’t know about writers.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Trailer hitch is ok for HF, especially NVIS, not so good for VHF/UHF.
Agreed, also does not solve the problem of wire entry. Attaching the antenna is not going to be a problem. We have so many excellent adhesive options that work on stainless. It's simply a non-issue.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
... Where the heck can I mount an antenna that is fed by a coax cable? Drilling 3mm thick steel? Oh no. Any suggestions?
1632279386578.png
Isn't Elon clearly showing where the antenna should stand?

It is also possible to attach an antenna to the rear gate like the bicycle holder.
With a small flag on it your CT's rear will look like a stern of a navy destroyer.
?

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
As a Ham myself, I've mounted UHF/VHF antennas on a couple of Prius'. But that was likely much easier than CT will be. For the Prius, All I had to do is add an "L" shaped plate where the Struts for the rear Hatch attach. Then the coax ran down the gutter, and entered through the seal at the bottom of the Hatch opening (with a Drip loop). The Prius has a 12V battery in the rear of the car. So easy to get power.

I never tried HF. I'm an Extra Class. But the Electronics would likely create a lot of Hash in the signal for HF bands. I'm told those who do HF, just turn the car off while operating, then power back up to recharge the battery.

As to why I need it, I support a lot of EMCOM stuff. From the county level ( for disasters), to supporting events like marathons and bike century rides (as a SAG). So yes, I will find a way to add UHF/VHF HAM radio setup to my CT. ..
Sponsored