Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The base model was originally specified as a RWD with a single motor. I am just saying it is possible that the rear axle is powered by 2 motors. Are you predicting an AWD single motor?
No, I'm saying they won't be using the motor configuration from the highest trim on the lowest trim.

RWD will just be a single motor to keep the costs down.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Curse you Crissa! In no way is it cool to hint that there's ample room for anything under a truck other than a skid plate :p peace
Well, the lowest point will be the suspension. There's no transmission, but the motors are still thicker than the battery pack. (Larger than 3x thicker!)

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Well, the lowest point will be the suspension. There's no transmission, but the motors are still thicker than the battery pack. (Larger than 3x thicker!)

-Crissa
I know, I was just laughing tongue-in-cheek. Have a fun girl!

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Since predictions will almost certainly be wrong, I'll just say what I hope/dream for on my tri-motor. Some of these are motivated by my experience as a Model 3 owner for three years.

-The on-again, off-again 3% size reduction so it fits in my standard garage
-Electrochromatic dimming on the glass roof and ventilated seats (seriously, the seats on the TM3 turn into lava when left in the sun)
-HUD or small center screen
-V2H capability (gotta keep up with the Fordses)
-Drain plugs in frunk and under-bed trunk for tailgating
-Plenty of storage bins/pockets/gloveboxes (love Tesla's minimalism, but a truck is about practicality, not form over function)
-Front charge point for charging with a trailer without disconnecting (I know this won't happen, but these are my dreams dammit)
-Not specific to CT, but an optional CCS to Tesla adapter for use at the expanding EA and other networks. Can't believe this is still unavailable in NA.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
No, I'm saying they won't be using the motor configuration from the highest trim on the lowest trim.

RWD will just be a single motor to keep the costs down.

-Crissa
I paid ~$4100 for my Netgain hyper9 motor and controller. I am going to guess that cost to Tesla for a 175 hp motor /controller is probably $2500. Then subtract out a unique rear differential/rear casting/half shaft for the CT1 and it might be a wash.

The motors might not be the same size as the CT2/3. Tesla would shim them.

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
You can not use reservations as only gauge of real world potential sales.

Any fleet buyer would have only put in reservation of 1 or 2 for evaluation. The hundreds of thousands of fleet orders are not in reservation queue yet. Most fleet buyers do not even know long-range EVs or Cybertruck exist and would not have made any Cybertruck reservation at all yet.

Even though all of us here know Tesla has potentially best truck ever made & Tesla gets a fair amount of publicity most ICE owners were not paying attention to Tesla or Cybertruck.
Do you pay attention to ads & news for stuff you are not yet in the market to buy. People who bought new ICE trucks in 2017 - today probably paid little attention to Tesla stuff since they needed a truck yesterday or now.

In large parts of the southern U.S. where it hardly ever snows, a lot of fleet buyers do not buy 4wd vehicles & paying $10K for something they do not need would probable be a big issue.

Unlike some of the other low priced models Tesla did not produce, there should be a huge market for $40K EV truck.
Dual motor Cybertruck w/ FSD @ $57k is a great deal for me when it's ready Jan 2023. Seeing how the price has gone up for all other vehicles. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should sell my first Cybertruck when my 2nd Cybertruck is ready.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Tesla could option CT1
CT1 RWD @ ($40k -1) USD:
Sgl rr motor
Delrin cloth interior
Rubber mats
3 position suspension settings
Tintop roof(ss)
LFP battery cells
Steel wheel hubcapped
Bolt-on mirrors(camera delete)

CT1 RWD+ Options
Dual rr motors
NMA 4680 battery cells
Range boost mode
Blast Pass switch under foot pedal
Leatherette Interior,carpet&convenience gp(courtesy,puddle,
Armor glass roof
Aero Mag wheel
Bio-warfare HEPA
So When it comes to Cloth vs leather interior, Stainless steel roof vs glass roof, different air suspension levels, and mirrors vs cameras. I don't think Tesla will have those different parts to be selective between the different Cybertruck trims. Tesla has been very successful with simplifying their supply chain. If you look at the different trims of their vehicles, the biggest difference between them is the battery size and what color you want the interior. Even other options are usually included but software locked, this allows Tesla to produce vehicles faster, have inventory of less individual items and if you want to upgrade to faster acceleration or heated seats, it's a simple in app purchase with instant activation.

I agree with the wheels. Also bio defence would probably be included on all models if it is offered on the tri motor for the same reasons i listed above.

Please, safety items should never be options. Don't be like Boeing & 737 MAX.
All models should get Bio-warfare HEPA.
Boeing and the 737 MAX was a completely different issue. It had nothing to do at all with boeing not including a safety feature on the MAX, it had a lot to do with an additional safety feature that was very software reliant and had no way to override when a sensor was giving bad information and the plane decided it needed to nose dive.

As for bio defense, that's safety but that's extreme, worst case scenario, we are in danger because of a possible attack sort of scenario. I don't think that level of filtration is needed at all in a vehicle.
That being said, I want it whether it's needed or not. But we also have to look that the model 3 and Y don't get bio defense mode either (I think the Y is getting it in China). It's not really a necessity, even if it can be beneficial. I remember reading an article of a Tesla owner driving near raging forest fires with it on and he felt very safe. As great as it would be on all vehicles, it's more of a luxury option at the moment.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Boeing and the 737 MAX was a completely different issue. It had nothing to do at all with boeing not including a safety feature on the MAX, it had a lot to do with an additional safety feature that was very software reliant and had no way to override when a sensor was giving bad information and the plane decided it needed to nose dive.
Boeing and 737 MAX was impacted by safety is optional mentality.

The 737 MAX software system relied on a single sensor even though the plane has two.
Boeing had as an extra cost option of a sensor difference alarm indicator for the pilot. Many airlines did not buy the option because they did not know how important it was and they did not know that the buggy software that relied on it existed. So this debacle was more than just Boeing hiding that the pilot overriding software existed.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Boeing and 737 MAX was impacted by safety is optional mentality.

The 737 MAX software system relied on a single sensor even though the plane has two.
Boeing had as an extra cost option of a sensor difference alarm indicator for the pilot. Many airlines did not buy the option because they did not know how important it was and they did not know that the buggy software that relied on it existed. So this debacle was more than just Boeing hiding that the pilot overriding software existed.
I'm very familiar with the 737 MAX systems that resulted in the crashes, I don't even know how many meetings I had to attend as one of the safety analysts for my airline since we had 7 737 MAX aircrafts when they were finally grounded. The fact that the system which caused the crash only used one sensor was only part of the problem, sensors fail and that's not uncommon. Even if it used both sensors or had three sensors to use, the Pilots weren't able to override even when they knew it was wrong. I don't really want to get into a discussion over aircraft safety features and how their complexities have actually resulted in numerous crashes over the years on a Cybertruck forum.

What we can relate to Tesla is that when a safety system is something that takes over, even for a moment, even if you are able to override it, extensive testing needs to be involved to make sure that a feature that is meant to save lives doesn't end up costing lives. So far I don't think i've seen any articles that have shown this happening but it's entirely possible. I'm sure Tesla has probably put a significant amount of hours into writing code for a possible no win scenario where avoiding a crash will almost certainly cause another.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My three pointer shots:
- Origami mirrors that will collapse into the a-pillars. Maintains compliance, but will be left stowed for operation when NHTSA wakes up.
- staggeringly robust FSD suite compared to previous vehicles. Either better cameras, an optimized processor, something that puts it head and shoulders up above previous iterations.
- next gen charging, I can't remember what the offhand the notation, but I would guess that if the model S plaid doesn't introduce the new high speed charging, the CT will
- solar tonneau standard on all models, probably my biggest moonshot. Elon keeps saying that the CT will be the ultimate apocalypse survival vehicle, this would help to that end.
- CTIS/ATIS system, to maximize range and optimize off-road convenience for tire pressure management.
- a cyperpunk party mode akin to the model X Christmas tree mode

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The motors might not be the same size as the CT2/3. Tesla would shim them.
The rear motor in the Dual Motor would be identical to the one in the Single Motor. Just as the front motor would be identical in the Dual Motor to the Tri Motor.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My three pointer shots:
- Origami mirrors that will collapse into the a-pillars. Maintains compliance, but will be left stowed for operation when NHTSA wakes up.
- staggeringly robust FSD suite compared to previous vehicles. Either better cameras, an optimized processor, something that puts it head and shoulders up above previous iterations.
- next gen charging, I can't remember what the offhand the notation, but I would guess that if the model S plaid doesn't introduce the new high speed charging, the CT will
- solar tonneau standard on all models, probably my biggest moonshot. Elon keeps saying that the CT will be the ultimate apocalypse survival vehicle, this would help to that end.
- CTIS/ATIS system, to maximize range and optimize off-road convenience for tire pressure management.
I love it bold predictions. < 4 weeks to go if Elon keeps his promise.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
My three pointer shots:
Definitely some good ideas that would be great to have on the Cybertruck.
I'm hoping for 350-400kW charging. so far average level 3 chargers that I have seen are mostly 20-50kW which would take hours to charge a Cybertruck from 15-80% while a supercharger could do it in in like 20 minutes.
I'm kind of with you on the standard solar panel cover. I know Tesla has done a lot of software locking for features in the past to minimize how many different parts there are, so I could realistically see them just putting a software lock on the solar option too. That would also save a lot of money for anyone who didn't get the solar option but want to switch to solar.
I'd love to see a easter egg like the model X Christmas feature. With the Cybertruck, it would probably have to be more of a light show since I doubt it will have fully automatic doors and it doesn't have the falcon wings to make it look super cool with opening and closing. But the music could be a lot better now that we will have the external speakers part of it.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Something that might not happen but i'm kind of hoping they can add it in without disturbing the original design too much, is an instrument cluster for the driver.

At first I didn't really want it but after looking at some videos of the Model S plaid, it would be really nice to have in the future when Tesla reaches level 3. Once level 3 is approved by both Tesla and the government (probably highways first). You wouldn't have to pay attention to the road at all times, you would just have to be ready to take over when prompted. It would be great if I could watch a movie with a friend, or play a game on the screen, while having the car information in another location.
Sponsored