Who's betting we'll see Cybertruck going out of Fremont this October?

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Off topic @Cybertruck Hawaii, but why would need a Cybertruck in Hawaii? Everything is walking distance. :rolleyes:
[/QUOT. People from Texas are moving to Hawaii and bringing their driving habits with them. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying!?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
:love:

Oh yeah, you can also create a franchise in Hawaii: Offensive Driving vs Texans.

Pa Cybertruck

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
Machinist
Country flag
Who is betting that we will be seeing Cybertruck going out of Fremont this October (usually being driven and tested by employees who are allowed to take it home)?

I would have bet all the investments, my house and my wife's jewelries ;) but I don't have inside info now that my son left Tesla.
I don't really see that happening at Fremont. Just because the company supplying the stainless steel for the CyberTruck just built a multi-million dollar facility 100 miles away from GigaTexas. If any hint that Fremont would be the location, the new steel plant would definitely not be built in Texas, just for shipping cost..

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't really see that happening at Fremont. Just because the company supplying the stainless steel for the CyberTruck just built a multi-million dollar facility 100 miles away from GigaTexas. If any hint that Fremont would be the location, the new steel plant would definitely not be built in Texas, just for shipping cost..
The top poster was referring to Tesla shipping a few beta trucks out of Fremont, not scale production. Shipping costs on the steel to make a few dozen beta trucks is negligible.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Off topic @Cybertruck Hawaii, but why would need a Cybertruck in Hawaii? Everything is walking distance. :rolleyes:
I used to live on Oahu, the main island of the Hawaiian chain of islands, where most of the people live. A Cybertruck would be perfect for there. I used to chase the surf driving around the island, and it's about 100 miles around the island. So every morning you would have a full charge and be able to go anywhere you need to go. Hawaii has the highest gas prices of any state in the U.S. also, having a lockable vault would be perfect with all you beach gear. And it's an extremely harsh environment for vehicles. Living near the beach and having so much rain, EVERYTHING rusts!

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
And I imagine @CybertruckHawaii scaling those sheer cliffs by his CT to have an isolated beach all by himself (and/or with the girlfriend).:p

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
The next big step would seem to be about making a small number of production-representative Cybertrucks to get the vehicle firmware development effort moving, in parallel with the manufacturing story. Vehicle firmware and volume manufacturing have complex interdependencies. Having even one CT that is very close to what will roll off the production line is way more valuable to the firmware team than having ten that are not representative. Those can be more or less hand-crafted but a big goal would be to make every single subsystem as representative as possible.

So apparently they'll need HW4 silicon on a representative autopilot board, representative gateway and infotainment systems, representative ECUs for the whole vehicle, whatever they're going to do about wiring harnesses and busses, steering, brakes, motors, drive inverters, battery management, HVAC etc., etc., etc. - it all has to be pretty much what it's going to be for initial volume production.

I don't see that rolling out of Fremont in October. The vehicle firmware peeps are no doubt up to their eyeballs keeping the Model 3/Y lines supplied with workarounds for semiconductor shortages and delivering the v10 FSD release. They won't be begging too hard for Cybertrucks in 2021, I'd bet. Plus there are an awful lot of CT-specific bits that need to move from the CAD system to finished parts (albeit at low volume) first.

My bet is first quarter next year. Sure, they might do final assembly of such vehicles in Fremont, or at Kato, or maybe even at Austin but parts will probably come from a bunch of places and those vehicles will go immediately to wherever the firmware team is (historically at Deer Creek Road in Palo Alto).

That said, I hope I am wrong. Spy photos of CTs in the wild in October would definitely make me smile!

Pa Cybertruck

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
Machinist
Country flag
Ok,
The top poster was referring to Tesla shipping a few beta trucks out of Fremont, not scale production. Shipping costs on the steel to make a few dozen beta trucks is negligible.
Ok. That makes much more sense then. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Sponsored