Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
He's suggested it, they've done it before. And they seem to be building the new facilities with this in mind.

Will they be doing tours? No one knows?

-Crissa
I f they did, it would be a very inexpensive source of additional revenue, as they would still charge the customer the delivery fees. I live about 45 minutes from the Fremont factory, and asked to pick-up our model Y there, and was told that we would still have to pay the delivery fees.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I f they did, it would be a very inexpensive source of additional revenue...
Not really. The majority of the cost and labor of delivery in the US wouldn't be the shipping, but the preparation of the vehicle and its paperwork. I'm sure Tesla would pare that down, since they do seem to love to use any new technology they can. But then they charge the 'average' cost in a delivery region (the US being one region) so... Maybe not.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
The CT doesn't excite me THAT much.

At the rate I see all this news on EV's, HEV's... something WILL come out that will blow the CT away.

I am not a Tesla/Musk groupie or even an EV junkie.

Lets see what hits the market around the time I get my "your order for the CT is ready to be completed and your CT will be delivered and available for pick up on...", that will be the deciding factor.

Last edited:

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
At the rate I see all this news on EV's, HEV's... something WILL come out that will blow the CT away.
You might be right...........

If you plan on waiting until 2028 before buying an electric truck. Tesla has a massive lead in the EV space. Other manufacturers are just now catching up to the 2012 Model S specs. Is there an EV out now that has comparable specs (range, efficiency, performance, cost) to the 2017 Model 3? The Cybertruck is way ahead of its time.

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I usually despise road trips. Maybe because I am the one driving and I find it boring as hell. Watching the road and not able to really take in the scenery. It would be a fun experience to see the factory and meet my CT at its birthplace. That long drive back to NY though would be a drain... no pun intended.
Another concern I would have is the potential for unwanted attention I might receive. If you are traveling and staying over night along a route where no one has ever scene the CT will people be tempted mess with you or the CT?
Maybe I am over thinking things but I like to consider all info before making a decision.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Watching the road and not able to really take in the scenery.
In Sandy Munro's video about his road trip in the Model 3 he went on and on about how awesome Auto pilot was. He said he always drives but this was the first time he was able to take in the scenery.

He talks about it starting around 23:20

Blulitecyber

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado, traverse
Country flag
‘My tightwad nature precludes me from paying for something I am not getting. That does not preclude me from making a road trip and visiting the birthplace of my Cyberbaby.
Maybe offer some kind of overnight stay with (like the other post said) an off-road familiarization course to make up for the delivery charge that’s not costing them.

cyberslacker

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, eagerly awaiting my Cybertruck
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Country flag
Where are you? I’m in Coeur D Alene and really looking forward to getting this truck. There’s a good chance I’ll fly down and do a factory pickup and drive back to Idaho
Portland, Oregon area, if I were to go down, I would do a road trip throughout the way back. Coming over the mountains near here is tricky at times as they do not salt or really do much for snow removal in the event something happens, we simply shut down.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
Quick story about the relative size of Texas, and this country.

In college I dated a woman from Greece that was on the Olympic ski team. We decided to drive to New Mexico to visit a friend and ski for a week, during spring break. Massachusetts to New Mexico and back in 10 days.

In short, she lost her mind. Traveling in a car non-stop for 30 hours pushed her over the edge.

After skiing for 4 days, seeing the Grand Canyon, she flew home, left my buddy and I to drive back tag team style. I think she dumped me over that trip... It's okay, we're still friends 25 years later. She lives in Norway, has an electric car, and works with Olympic athletes.
I know Bill Cosby is out of favor, but your story made me think of this.... The USA is so big it has many languages of its own.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Portland, Oregon area, if I were to go down, I would do a road trip throughout the way back. Coming over the mountains near here is tricky at times as they do not salt or really do much for snow removal in the event something happens, we simply shut down.
Salt is bad for the fish, and is removed by the rain in any case so is kinda useless. It only really works when it'a dry-cold. The storms usually come with sheeting ice and rain, so it's just going to be a mess no matter what you do.

But you can use chains and spikes in the passes, but those don't help ice sheets, either.

-Crissa

DPye_BC

First Name
Durwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier RWD; 2000 Toyota Echo FWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I was just talking to my brother yesterday about planning a trip to Austin to pick up my Cybertruck. We'll fly out of Vancouver, BC and drive the CT home. He'd even take my nephew out of school for a week if my delivery isn't near a holiday. (The reservation tracker estimates my delivery in Oct. 2022.)

We'll probably head down to Boca Chica to try and catch a Starship launch and then drive up the West Coast and try some off-roading along the way.

Do you think Telsa will give factory tours to people who pick up their CT in Austin?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
would a roadtrip in the single motor be lame?

MPP

First Name
Marc Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was just talking to my brother yesterday about planning a trip to Austin to pick up my Cybertruck. We'll fly out of Vancouver, BC and drive the CT home. He'd even take my nephew out of school for a week if my delivery isn't near a holiday. (The reservation tracker estimates my delivery in Oct. 2022.)

We'll probably head down to Boca Chica to try and catch a Starship launch and then drive up the West Coast and try some off-roading along the way.

Do you think Telsa will give factory tours to people who pick up their CT in Austin?
Can we buy our CT in Canada and pick it up at Austin?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
would a roadtrip in the single motor be lame?
If you are just road tripping then there would be nothing lame about a single motor and in fact it might be just the right vehicle for a road trip. The benefits of dual and tri motor options have very little to do with road tripping. They increase range a bit but the biggest difference is in towing capacity and ability to handle slippery, muddy, off-road conditions. If you are driving on paved roads and staying calm with your driving then anyone seeing you in your CT will probably be completely oblivious to if you have a single, dual, or tri motor CT. They will just be seeing a CT. And if you decide to camp or bring some luggage, you will have the same capacity in the bed. Overall, the single motor is probably the best deal around as long as you don't plan to push it to extremes or try towing large trailers.
Sponsored