Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Some inverters kinda suck, so not all can charge vehicles. But they would have to prove that it was your crappy inverter that did it to invalidate your warranty, not just that they warned you not to do it. A decent pure-sinewave inverter is what you want, but anything with a sufficient number of steps will do it.

But if you can run a modern on-demand hot-water heater with it, you can charge your car with it. (Trust me, they're picky!)

The point was that needing electricity is far easier than needing gasoline because you don't care what kind of power source it is. If a farmstead has power, a Cybertruck doesn't care what it's from.

But very few ICE vehicles have that level of flexibility. They need their flavor of fossil fuel, and if you don't have it, they don't move.

Last year during the red-flag weather, the grid in our area shut down. None of the gasoline stations had backup power. So when my spouse's bike ran low on gas, it was stuck. My electric bike, tho, could charge off our generator. Or someone else's wind power. Or solar panels. Or plug in downtown where the grid worked (but ironically were no gas stations).

-Crissa
Sponsored

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since it was revealed in November 2019, no other car or truck has caught the worlds' attention the way Cybertruck has. Tell us in 500 words or less, why you are psycho for Cybertruck.
As I approach age 70, and a current and past owner of 7 Trucks in my lifetime. It's just plain Cool!
With current ownership of a Tesla Model 3, it can only get better!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I'm wondering how they made it to LA still alive.

I knew guys that would take fishing trips down in old Mexico 20 yrs ago, you can't do that anymore.

No sane gringo would try what they did.
Hahahaha... I watched a dutch woman solo ride a motorcycle from the southern tip of South America to Peru and the pandemic caused her to pause her trip.

I have watched several people motorcycle through (or try atleast) and those that stopped were usually financial/mechanical issues.

I am looking forward to 2 famous actors and their crew go from South America to LA on EV motorcycles and the crew in Rivian trucks...

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The point was that needing electricity is far easier than needing gasoline because you don't care what kind of power source it is. If a farmstead has power, a Cybertruck doesn't care what it's from.
-Crissa
I watch people (usually on YouTube) motorcycle across continents and the problems with fuel they encounter, the filters they have to run it through, and how many problems just finding a station selling fuel can be... (engine issues with Fuel injectors, carburetors, etc)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A votre service! No, nothing has changed. One has always been able to charge a Tesla from a generator but Tesla has always, and still does, tell you not to charge your car from a "privately owned" generator. That wording intrigues me no end.

You have to know what you are doing though as the EVSE won't operate if it does not sense 120V between ground and hot and ground on a properly configured portable generator is not connected to the electrical circuit.

The other big boogeyman with generators is THD. There are those that claim that cheap generators use "modified sine" inverters but I have never been able to find such a generator nor has anyone who makes this claim been able to point me to one. Others point out that cheap generators have poor THD even if they don't have inverters and there is some truth in this. That shouldn't be a problem with the rectifier in the Tesla but I think it is worth checking the THD spec on any generator you contemplate buying if for no other reason than as an indicator of quality. Generators advertising "pure sine" are top of the line and generate the current electronically. This confers several advantages with respect to regulation, fuel consumption and THD but, of course, comes at a price. This is the coming technology for portable generators. More and more of them appear every day and, of course, the prices are coming down but the margin is still considerable (25% ?).

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The Cybertruck inspiration that Mr. Musk and his team had was very similar to Ferdinand Porsche with his 356;

Mr. Musk...

“Customer research? We just made a car we thought was awesome and looks super weird. I just wanted to make a futuristic battle tank — something that looks like it could come out of Blade Runner or Aliens or something like that but was also highly functional”

Dr. Ferdinand Porsche...

“In truth, the 911SC is also a fantasy from Schutz's past. As the story goes, Schutz and Dr. Ferry Porsche were relaxing at the family villa one evening when Ferry explained that Porsche's system of product planning back in the early postwar years was simplicity itself: "We did no market research, no sales forecast, no return-on-investment analysis whatsoever. I built my dream car [the 356] and put it on sale." What a golden opportunity for Schutz to pipe up with a pet dream of his own. "Let's build a 911 Cabriolet," he said to Ferry Porsche, and so it was.”

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
...but it needs a generator which requires gas. So, in essence it needs gas and lugging around a space-sucking generator. That just defeats the whole purpose of the Cybertruck. I'll leave the Cybertruck in the garage.

The point is:
On this epic adventure, I don't want to side-track and take mini-time-sucking excursions to find any "EV charging station", or wait a day to charge up at a random outlet, or even have charging stations dictate my route. No way. Now imagine doing that each time you need to charge along the way through El Salvador, Costa Rica, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama. Time is critical. When the Landcruiser needs gas... hop off the road, fill up, piss, re-up on supplies and go. 15 minutes tops. 30 minutes if I really take my time.

I get it. I get it. EVs are the future. EVs are now. Heck I'm still pretty sure I'm getting a Cybertruck too. Tri-Motor!
So true. One lottery-winner dream I have is to drive the Pan-American highway from Barrow, Alaska all the way down. So hard to do EV style, right now.

Buy the frickin’ Cybertruck already. Let your regrets in life be those things you did and wished you did not; not the things you did not and wished you had done.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Buy the frickin’ Cybertruck already. Let your regrets in life be those things you did and wished you did not; not the things you did not and wished you had done.
You can’t buy anything now. We will when it’s becomes available. Hopefully by 2023.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Total Harmonic Distortion?
Yes. An ideal generator (0 THD) would output a pure sinewave at 60 Hz (North America). A real generator puts out voltages at 120 Hz, 180 Hz, 240 Hz, 300 Hz..... that is, at harmonics of the fundamental 60 Hz. THD is the ratio of the power in all the harmonics to the power in the fundamental (60 Hz) sine wave. In the time domain the sinewave appears mishapen if harmonics are present. Instead of sounding like a pure tone a distorted sinewave has timbre (it is the harmonic content that makes a bassoon oboe and flute playing the same note sound different).
Sponsored

Last edited: