Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X, 2011 Tesla Roadster, 1969 280SL
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm a truck guy. Have a 3/4 ton diesel truck that I love. I lifted it and upgraded the suspension for offroad and the truck does everything I want. I pull my trailer to the countryside with my polaris ranger, pull my duck hunting boat to the river, throw stuff in the bed to go to the beach, etc. I've been really wanting to know if this thing gets decent range when towing a moderate load (less than 8k lbs). My truck is a badass, but if the CT gets decent range towing, it is the EV that will make me switch. All the other features that come plain stock on the CT are just too good. The adjustable suspension at the touch of the screen is such a nice feature. Going from towing on the pavement to dirt roads with washouts and huge potholes, I can just keep going and adjust the suspension height, stiffness, etc to suit the situation without any effort. The body panels being so tough is a huge plus. My current truck is awesome for all the things I do, but vegetation when going down a trail scratching at my paint is something I have to plan to avoid. The exterior of the cybertruck eliminates this. And if I get a scratch that needs attention, some good sandpaper will buff it out. It is exactly what a truck should be...completely utilitarian and tough. If the interior is comfortable for long trips, this thing will be amazing.
I have a large gas truck and a Model S. Drive any Tesla for an afternoon and you will come away with new perspective!
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
The Cybertruck will solve four of my biggest pet peeves regarding vehicle ownership;
-Door dings from inconsiderate people
-Chipped and scratched exterior paint
-Exterior paint maintenance (waxing, polishing, etc.)
-Body panel corrosion

I plan to have PPF applied to the front headlights and fog lights for ultimate protection.
Door dings? Now we'll have a truck that dings back! Imagine that, denting their door while leaving the CT pristine!

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Yes. An ideal generator (0 THD) would output a pure sinewave at 60 Hz (North America). A real generator puts out voltages at 120 Hz, 180 Hz, 240 Hz, 300 Hz..... that is, at harmonics of the fundamental 60 Hz. THD is the ratio of the power in all the harmonics to the power in the fundamental (60 Hz) sine wave. In the time domain the sinewave appears mishapen if harmonics are present. Instead of sounding like a pure tone a distorted sinewave has timbre (it is the harmonic content that makes a bassoon oboe and flute playing the same note sound different).
I was gonna say that but you beat me to it!

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why is the CT a cool design concept? Because it was designed to be so! I anticipate by the time I get mine, I'll be close to age 70. I'll be the coolest Senior in my neighborhood. The CT will be my 8th truck in my lifetime of truck purchases.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
my Cybertruck will be my last truck of my lifetime. I will pass it onto my son or nephew and they will never have to buy another truck IMO.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m tired of changing oil, dealing with the belts, hose, and a puddle of oil on the garage floor. The Cybertruck will answer my prayers.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I don't know if that was directed at me or not about my standby generator, but I never intimated that I intended to use it to charge my Tesla, which I don't have yet. I use it to power my home during fairly frequent power outages. We had a tornado that took out power poles and snapped them like twigs just a block away only one week ago. No loss of life fortunately. Live power lines across the road kept my street trapped. Power was out over 36 hours but not at my house. I got three bids for a solar system that would only produce when the sun was shining with no backup power. I asked Tesla about PowerWalls (which if I recall correctly, would only give me about 24 hours of backup juice) but since they didn't have an authorized installer in my area, I would have to find an electrician who was willing to go for training. In other words, it was up to me to go knocking on doors if I wanted to buy a PowerWall. My non-storage solar quotes (turnkey) ranged all the way from 45k to 85k. I can't tell you what I was going to get for that, just that they wouldn't solve my problem except for when the sun was shining and for a very pretty penny. Storage capacity was certainly much extra and for the most part lasted only for 24 hours. Generac's 20 KwH natural gas standby generator is fully automated and has never failed. Not once. 20-30 sec to power up and it runs with or without sunshine. Powers my entire 2700 sq ft all electric home without a hitch day and night. Cost? $8500 installed. Gas bill around $15/month . No, I never said a word about charging a Tesla with it. That was a faulty assumption once again. If there is a need, we now have a SuperCharger very near the intersection of I-49 and I-540 which is where I suggested they put one years ago. I don't know if my suggestion had anything to do with it, but it is a little town in Arkansas so maybe it did. It is a crossroads for major north-south east-west traffic. I was just making a comparison between solar and other modes of emergency power, both in terms of investment requirements and utility. Solar has come a very long way and is more affordable, but it still has a distance to go. With my estimated lifespan remaining, solar wouldn't begin to break even. Not even for my estate. My son solarized his home. I'm pretty sure he had buyer's remorse., but then that was several years ago. Things may have changed from an industry perspective. I just know that for me and my application, Generac was an easy choice for 4 years and running.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
There are some EV1s out there; school examples, some that had been losses but not crushed, and a couple that weren't turned in.

None were officially allowed, though.

The Cybertruck is the brutalist vehicle I would have wanted in my pre-teen years. It does away with the stacked design of the 20th century truck and goes for the aesthetics of an RX7.

I want my next car to be a truck. I am a front-wheel-drive, tuner-appreciative, hot hatch enthusiast. I have only had five cars in my life, and put a hundred thousand miles into each (except the one that died after a hundred, but it was a mechanical failure, so...) I need something to carry lumber and rock for my needs-work house. Transport motorcycles. Go camping. Make long roadtrips.

The Cybertruck offers all of this. And near my price point, which is admittedly low: My spouse says I'm not allowed to covet cars that are over 50 grand, a third the price of our home.

One vehicle to rule them all.

-Crissa
BRUTALIST.....that's a good word, Crissa. I like that for the CT. Excellent description.

exdxgxe4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
My number one reason is the stainless steel body. 1- it's cool to say that it's the same material as rockets. 2- I live in the rust belt and am happy that I won't have to deal with a rusting body.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
My main reason of the CT is simple: Specs and data. Not sure what ICE/diesel vehicle can match up to the CT in terms of HP & tow rating at the price point w/o compromise.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, MY MOM also told me I should buy the Cybertruck. But her input wasn't the first and main reason, although her input did play a significant role in my decision.

Last edited:

Eddie_Catflap

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag
...Tell us in 500 words or less, why you are psycho for Cybertruck.
1. Versatile use - tow, carry load in the bed, lock the vault, 6 passengers, on/off-road...etc.
2. Alternative to gas/petrol/diesel
3. Trimotor range
4. Value for money ?
5. Off-road ability ?
6. Head turner
7. MOC - stainless steel
8. Adjustable air suspension
9. 0-60mph performance
10. Tesla ...support, large charging network...etc.
11. Smooth on-road drive ?
12. Full self driving

... and most of the reasons that others have posted ;)

Cheers

Marcia Litsinger

First Name
Marcia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Nero hybrid, Cadillac Escalade.
Occupation
farmer
Country flag
We live off grid for almost 40 years. 2 miles of terrible road. Used to park my car 2 miles away and have my old jeep parked to get home. It's hard to change cars in the snow and take all your groceries and laundry home. My poor husband had to chain up our 2 wd truck in the dark to get us the final way home. I have been dreaming of a vehicle that could take our horrible roads and be off grid. Finally it came along a beautiful truck I can drive anywhere and still be off grid. No more gas and oil for me. Since we have been living this way for so long we have more than enough solar power to charge the cybertruck at home.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
First, CT does NOT look like other vehicles. Pickups have had the same basic shape for 60 years or so. Second, it is not built out of thin sheet metal and I never will need to paint it. Third, it does not run on oil. I'll never have to change the oil, no spark plugs, no tune ups, no smelly exhaust, no smog checks, etc. Fourth, the version I reserved has range - 500 miles. That is 160 miles more than my current pickup. However, I may have to wait a while for Elon to find the battery cells ...
Sponsored