Why does battery tech take so long to make? (example: 4680)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
'Prototypes are easy, production is hard.'

I equate baking to chemistry, which means you have to measure everything exactly and get the timing of everything exactly... and still something, like air pressure or humidity, can totally change what happens.

So, to me, not shocking that making changes to mass production chemistry is hard.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
'Prototypes are easy, production is hard.'

I equate baking to chemistry, which means you have to measure everything exactly and get the timing of everything exactly... and still something, like air pressure or humidity, can totally change what happens.

So, to me, not shocking that making changes to mass production chemistry is hard.
I don't know about that.

A good baker tastes their along the way to ensure it's seasoned correctly. A chemist who tastes their creations is likely not going to live long enough to be a good chemist.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I don't know about that.

A good baker tastes their along the way to ensure it's seasoned correctly. A chemist who tastes their creations is likely not going to live long enough to be a good chemist.
I do not know of any commercial baker that tastes what they are doing. Most would get fired if they did.

I am not talking home or boutique baker, I am talking mass manufacturing baker.

Also, how is tasting it going to help adjust for humidity or air pressure changes?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I do not know of any commercial baker that tastes what they are doing. Most would get fired if they did.

Also, how is tasting it going to help adjust for humidity or air pressure changes?
It's ok, it was a decent analogy! @Ogre is just being funny.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I don't bake... well sometimes but not often.

I was just thinking about something Paul Hollywood said about one of the contestants on the Great British Baking Show. I think he was mostly talking about things like sauces or compotes where you are seasoning by taste as opposed to following a recipe religiously.

Regardless... it was just meant as light humor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't know anything about the baking industry but I do know something about brewing. It takes a brewery years to develop a new beer worthy of being included in its portfolio. In the brewing industry there is plenty of tasting along the way (that's why the fermenters and lagering tanks have zwickles).

There are some similarities with battery development I''d think. The reasons are the same. One is trying to optimize over a multivariate output space (power density and volume, longevity, charging rate, cost...) and the input space is multidimensional too (anode composition, cathode composition, electrolyte, electrolyte additives...).
Sponsored