Why in the dark

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
The first 2 years weren’t too painful. Just gotten frustrating lately when they added another ~12 months to the wait.
My guess is we will start seeing pre-production models in the next 6 months, and deliveries starting in about 9 months.

As far as taking out the pricing I bet the reason is due to the 1,200,000 existing pre-orders, even if only half of those pan out its still going to be at least 2-3 years before they catch up. Couple that with the current high inflation rate on everything, the fact that they had to increase the price on their current models as a result, they couldn't be sure of the profitability of selling it at that price.

Just too much uncertainty.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think this whole thing is blown out of proportion big time.. anything Tesla does gets entire articles written about. Its so funny to watch.
*Tesla simplifies website

Journalist: "TRI MOTOR CYBERTRUCK NO LONGER AVAILABLE, TESLA INCREASING CYBERTRUCK PRICES AND REMOVING FEATURES, ELON MUSK HAS LOST HIS MIND!"

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just wait, or take your $100 and go. But to get wound up is just pointless stress you don't need.
I swear if people on this forum gave relationship advice.

Me: “Damn, my wife interrupts me all the time, it’s super annoying”
Dusty: “Hey there are plenty of nice looking women over at the pub, just take your ring and split.”

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My guess is we will start seeing pre-production models in the next 6 months, and deliveries starting in about 9 months.

As far as taking out the pricing I bet the reason is due to the 1,200,000 existing pre-orders, even if only half of those pan out its still going to be at least 2-3 years before they catch up. Couple that with the current high inflation rate on everything, the fact that they had to increase the price on their current models as a result, they couldn't be sure of the profitability of selling it at that price.

Just too much uncertainty.
Well you called that one!

We now have super grainy videos of what is clearly not one of the initial prototypes.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Any message to customers is a message that the media will spin for its news cycle. Any message to the media, the media will spin for its news cycle. Musk has decided not to play a rigged game.

You want information about your reservation? You already have it. Production (will likely / hopefully ) starts in 2022 and ramps in 2023.

What about your current reservation? What's their to say...? It exists, you can see it, nothing to say.

You - HansonCT or anyone who is interested or concerned - are conflating new orders with current orders. Because something is happening over there does not mean anything about over here.

If Tesla said, "We are taking down new orders because we are unable to accurately predict an appropriate price for 2024 and 2025 models.", nothing good would come of it. It's a non-starter that the media would spin.

In all seriousness @HansonCT , would a t-shirt suffice? would an "we appreciate your patience and we're working on it" suffice?

Those are both bad ideas from Tesla's point of view. Engaging in a relationship is only beneficial when both sides are willing to put energy into sustaining the relationship. Acknowledging the line waiting around the block only agitates the line.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You guys saw Tesla's advertising budget. $0 (I suspect they do have a department and everything is highly calculated). But all the savings is going into R&D. Elon....the one man twitter fiend is keeping us hyped up by dribbling out info. It is working. Until the competion starts real volume Tesla has time to get it right. The mega casting and structural packs are years ahead of the competition. People jumping ship to an 11,000 lb Hummer are......Hummer people anyway. People paying an extra $15K for a smaller Rivian might as well be driving a electrified Subaru baja?? The ford has a nice frunk. It is more expensive for less performance, but good for conformist I guess. The CT is so efficient it is worth the wait if you want anything close to a real truck with usable payload.

Is there any data to say lots of people are canceling? $100 is nothing I would burn half of that in my time processing the refund. I am kicking myself for not doing one more reservation. I hope I don't get in an accident and have to wait 8 months for a replacement.

FSD is going to be pretty close in 18 months. I am saving $2k. Not a bad investment.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I swear if people on this forum gave relationship advice.

Me: “Damn, my wife interrupts me all the time, it’s super annoying”
Dusty: “Hey there are plenty of nice looking women over at the pub, just take your ring and split.”
Leave the ring on, universal code to be discreet. (Should not have said that)

FutureTrunks

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord, 2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The first statement would be met with, 'So you're raising the price for everyone else?' or 'I'm going to sue you because the white-interior model is a $2k option!'. The second would be met with furor; which would result in more people calling and asking questions and panicking and creating FUD. And all those phone calls cost money!

Where would they back to? To what end? Most won't have seen the news, because no news is no news and so the news media didn't echo it.

Why do all that when they can just not issue a statement and not have someone call them? Especially since it's still months away and they just don't know yet. It's all downside right now.

-Crissa
I’m curious to how you’re taking this stand, you think no information/updates is the right move for Tesla here? That logically makes no sense. By your explanation you make Tesla seem like a lazy and selfish company that doesn’t give a damn about it’s customers. Did I understand that correctly?

Also- backing out means cancelling your order and getting a different vehicle that’s being produced or at least has all of the specs listed publicly….

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I’m curious to how you’re taking this stand, you think no information/updates is the right move for Tesla here? That logically makes no sense.
Saving money makes sense, whether I personally agree with it or not. And not giving statements often saves money. Definitely in the short run, probably in the long run, as I explained.

It's more that I understand why, than I think it's right or not. There is no perfect communication syntax. This is a hard-learned lesson I'm trying to share.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Oooo. Lovely there! Bit of a charging desert though so be sure to equip your house before taking delivery on an EV.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Sorry, thought was about the people who want to purchase a product. some who have waited over a year and half. at what point is it about the customer and not the company?
saying nothing is wrong. some reassurance or something. I believe everyone here has a vested interest in wanting to get a CT. all I'm asking for is something other than an email with a confirmation number and a ticket to get to the counter that circles a few blocks. some kind of status or update or why changes like the order page. there shouldn't be a forum where everyone throws a dart at the board to see how close they might be to guessing they are right
We all wish there was the kind of information that we are otherwise deluged by with virtually every other company, especially during this long wait. It is certainly nerve racking.

That said, no company is going to release information about a product under development other than a teaser trailer here and there (which we are getting). You are used to mass marketing campaigns and year-after-year advertising of the same line of vehicles stretching back decades. There is no comparison, especially with a company that does no advertising, no marketing, and doesn't even have a PR group.

You are certainly entitled to your frustration, and if it means anything you are in good company, but this is just the way it is.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’m not sure about that.

Seems to me misinformation thrives in the dark.

Tesla pulls down pricing and specs? Now everyone is convinced prices are going up by $10k-20k. Not just here, but Reddit other forums too. I’ve also seen in several places the CT1 is cancelled and that the CT3 won’t have 500 miles of range anymore. FSD pricing is cancelled, not just the $6000/ 7000 early pricing, but lots of people think it’s not attached to their account at all.

In this case, they didn’t just not say something, they actually removed information that was out there. It’s very confusing, particularly on top of the recent silent treatment on delays.

I’ve just come to accept that Tesla sucks at this part of the process, but lots of people aren’t as patient and are accepting or making up their own truth.
You are right. In a vacuum people make up their own reality and it rarely goes well for them. That is why the people that spin news get listened to at all, because we will listen to anyone if noone is talking. The specs for the CT have not changed. You can go rewatch the unveiling and it is all there. I, and I am sure many on this forum, keep spreadsheets of any specs we hear of and comparisons to other vehicles, and links to news articles and videos. It is an attempt to generate my own notion of reality devoid as much as possible from this. So you have a choice, you always do, but I encourage you to use reason and not just stew in your own juices.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Just brace yourself for some pretty cool unannounced features that will accompany the inevitable price increase. To simplify production and justify a higher MSRP Tesla may include RWS as standard equipment.
Sponsored