Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
I understand most of what FSD will do ,(example )keep you in your lane ,keep you out of the ditch ,and prevent you from hitting the person in front of you. But will it avoid a head on collision with somebody that just crossed the median into your lane ?
will it steer you away from danger?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Maybe sometimes. I'm afraid I can't do better than that. The radar would see something closing at speed greater than possible for an obstruction or stopped vehicle in front of you and would probably try to get you into another lane or off the road if it found clear space to either side. But if it couldn't?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Here is a link to an incident that happened recently in regards to what you are asking.

https://electrek.co/2020/03/09/tesl...ally-avoids-head-on-collision-car-wrong-lane/
I’ve noticed with the FSD visualization the vehicle is able to tell the color of the stoplight as far as 500 ft away (possibly more). There’s also currently a couple different settings potentially applicable to the head on collision scenario including the Forward Collision Warning settings and Obstacle Aware Acceleration.
Tesla Cybertruck Will self drive avoid a crash? DDF998DC-9B11-426F-BFD0-52AA9F0BD98E

By the time FSD is finally released, it will likely have many improvements and enhancements from what we’ve experienced today with auto-pilot.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I’ve noticed with the FSD visualization the vehicle is able to tell the color of the stoplight as far as 500 ft away (possibly more). There’s also currently a couple different settings potentially applicable to the head on collision scenario including the Forward Collision Warning settings and Obstacle Aware Acceleration.
DDF998DC-9B11-426F-BFD0-52AA9F0BD98E.jpeg

By the time FSD is finally released, it will likely have many improvements and enhancements from what we’ve experienced today with auto-pilot.
TUsimple claims they will have FSD on semi with cargo on public roads by 2021. And some other companies already have driver out FSD 18 wheelers driving on public roads.
https://www.tusimple.com

Last edited:

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
I hadn’t heard of TUsimple before, definitely going to have to look more into them! A friend of mine is a cross-country truck driver who’s looking to retire in about 4 years, that profession certainly seems to be on the cusp of change!
TUsimple claims they will have FSD on semi with cargo on public roads by 2021. And some other companies already have driver out FSD 18 wheelers driving on public roads.
https://www.tusimple.com

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yes, based on various FSD videos, FSD will avoid getting into a crash. As an extreme example though, what if someone is purposefully trying to crash into you? Will FSD essentially be able to play tag with the other cars and avoid ever getting hit? There are certain situations where that would be impossible. Say you are blocked in at a light and get rear-ended. Not much FSD would be able to do in that case. But if your CT was parked at the side of the road with sentry mode on, would it realize that a vehicle was coming and going to cause an accident? Could it quickly move from the parking space to avoid getting hit? I suppose theoretically it could. I doubt that kind of functionality is currently being designed into FSD though.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My problem with the FSD test videos is that nobody is testing/showing the FSD capabilities during heavy traffic. Who has FSD Beta in Denver, navigating rush hour traffic on the interstate 25/ I 70 routes? L.A.’s 405 at 4 PM? Boston’s Big Dig tunnel in morning rush?

Everything I have seen has been light to moderate traffic at best. Show me some challenging stuff where I don’t want to drive, not just stuff a 16-year-old new driver can navigate.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They're not, because Enhanced Autopilot already does freeway traffic fine and is no longer in Beta.

My Mom's Subaru and now Mazda's radar cruise control could handle traffic fine. Heavy freeway traffic is relatively easy and doesn't need much smarts.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
My problem with the FSD test videos is that nobody is testing/showing the FSD capabilities during heavy traffic. Who has FSD Beta in Denver, navigating rush hour traffic on the interstate 25/ I 70 routes? L.A.’s 405 at 4 PM? Boston’s Big Dig tunnel in morning rush?

Everything I have seen has been light to moderate traffic at best. Show me some challenging stuff where I don’t want to drive, not just stuff a 16-year-old new driver can navigate.
Totally agree with Crissa. Here's a video with a combo and it's obvious driving in heavy traffic slowly is not difficult. Take notice of later on surface streets with way more things to be aware of.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

You aren’t watching enough FSD videos then, my friend. Did you see Dirty Tesla’s video the other day with completely snow-covered roads and FSD threading the needle between parked and oncoming cars. Sheesh that looked terrifying. I have seen a lot of things from the FSD videos, including downtown traffic and some bizarre situations and they look pretty good. Widen your horizons.

As for collision avoidance, it makes me think of iRobot; at some point (if you want collision avoidance) you will have to let the car make ethical decisions about who will live and who will die and I don’t think many people are ready for that, especially if the decision goes against them.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Totally agree with Crissa. Here's a video with a combo and it's obvious driving in heavy traffic slowly is not difficult. Take notice of later on surface streets with way more things to be aware of.
I have driven that route and it is not fun at all. San Francisco is not full of good drivers; they are from all over the world and use their own ideas of good driving. And the streets themselves are confusing. This video definitely qualifies as scary traffic. Is it Beijing-level crazy? No. But it goes as far as I would.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That SF drive is familiar to me. Spouse's office is up in the city, and we used to do far more than that weekly. Two hours up then again back.

It's something I hope autopilot can help with!

-Crissa

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I've personally seen autopilot dodge accidents on the freeway multiple times. I drove a lot for work so I see that robotic dodge kick in from time to time, it's really obvious when it isn't the driver swerving into a safer position.

There's compilations out there of Teslas avoiding accidents too. It won't surprise me if FSD avoids accedents just as well of not better.
Sponsored