Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
But what is the real problem with a CT in Europe? As others have pointed out, it's not a size problem F150 Raptor is bigger than CT and it's legal. The "pedestrian safety" argument can be valid, but it all depends on what they are going to evaluate the real thing in the end (just like the side mirrors or the windshield wiper).
What I understand, the real problem is CT weight. If a car + its full payload is more thatn 3.5 tons, then you can't use the B driving license, but you will need a C driving license (that very few people have). CT should be over 2.5 tons (and the 3 motor version, having 2 battery packs, should be over3 tons). So, the point of making it "smaller" should be about making it lighter.
This is all to my understanding that, in facts, could be wrong.
So I don't know really much about European regulations, so I won't really say much about why it would or would not be fine the way it is to at least be legal. We do need to consider how much it will actually sell in Europe and what changes could make it sell better. It's no mystery that larger vehicles are more popular in North America and while i'm sure the full size Cybertruck would sell in Europe, a smaller version would probably sell better. I see a lot of comments from both people in North America and Europe saying they would want a smaller version, and I expect to see a smaller version sold all over the world including North America. Whether or not the full size Cybertruck will go to Europe anytime soon, I don't really have enough information have an opinion on that. But I have visited Europe many times and I personally wouldn't want to drive a vehicle that seems like it will be 5.88m long and 2.13m wide, whether or not it's legal.
Sponsored

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
I thought that the easiest way to make it smaller, shorter and lighter is to make it a 3 seater. In Europe, most families have 1 or no kids. But, anyway, CT is an utility truck: it's not something you are expected to use to use for going shopping

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I thought that the easiest way to make it smaller, shorter and lighter is to make it a 3 seater. In Europe, most families have 1 or no kids. But, anyway, CT is an utility truck: it's not something you are expected to use to use for going shopping
Not many people think like that in North America. My first vehicle growing up was a truck and I didn't have any utility use for it when I was in university or high school, I just really liked my truck. Pick up trucks are so common in North America that you won't find many busy parking lots that doesn't have at least one truck, and if you take a look in the back, it probably doesn't have anything that wouldn't fit in a car. I'm not saying that's all people but people with trucks really like their trucks whether they are hauling stuff or just going to work, or getting groceries. Personally I will have some utility uses for my Cybertruck, but I'm also going to be selling my Cadillac because this will be my vehicle for everything.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you regularly carry something larger than would fit in a car, you have a truck. But that doesn't mean you can afford a second car or trailer or have a place to put them.

So trucks are called into duties like... going to the grocery store.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Laurent

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I really hope that the CT can make it to Europe. I think it is possible otherwise why we - in Europe -, are able to pre-order one? It doesn´t make sense otherwise. Tesla lets you pre-order one and than say, finally it is not possible!

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But what is the real problem with a CT in Europe? As others have pointed out, it's not a size problem F150 Raptor is bigger than CT and it's legal. The "pedestrian safety" argument can be valid, but it all depends on what they are going to evaluate the real thing in the end (just like the side mirrors or the windshield wiper).
What I understand, the real problem is CT weight. If a car + its full payload is more thatn 3.5 tons, then you can't use the B driving license, but you will need a C driving license (that very few people have). CT should be over 2.5 tons (and the 3 motor version, having 2 battery packs, should be over3 tons). So, the point of making it "smaller" should be about making it lighter.
This is all to my understanding that, in facts, could be wrong.
I believe the weight of the battery is excluded.

From our government website

Unladen weight
The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.

It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.

It doesn’t include the weight of:

• fuel
  • batteries in an electric vehicle - unless it’s a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
  • fuel
  • batteries in an electric vehicle - unless it’s a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair
I know some of us are getting on in years, but I don't think it will be classified as a mobility scooter! ??

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm slightly losing faith that we'll get the US version as publicised over here. I went back on to the Cybertruck UK web page yesterday and saw a disclaimer at the bottom I had never noticed before:

"*All configurations are US specification only. Global specifications will be developed at a later date based on demand."

I could see the global specification being the mini one and I don't want that at all...

You may still be able to do a personal import of USA version subject to the rules at the time, but it'll be a pain and the charging plug is different!
If there’s only the import route for us Brits then Japan or Australia would be the way to go.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I really hope that the CT can make it to Europe. I think it is possible otherwise why we - in Europe -, are able to pre-order one? It doesn´t make sense otherwise. Tesla lets you pre-order one and than say, finally it is not possible!
I was curious about that as well. I was thinking that sometime after the deliveries have started for the Cybertruck, maybe after the first year but possibly even sooner, that Tesla would announce a European model for the Cybertruck and those that have a preorder would be able to keep their place in line.

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
About the pedestrian safety: shouldn't auto brake system + self driving be enough to qualify CT as safer than normal cars with smoother edges? No hit is better than a soft hit!

Wolfythelobo

First Name
Giorgio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
Elon said the actual production CT will be smaller 5% all around.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Elon said the actual production CT will be smaller 5% all around.
He did say this. He then announced that it only needed to be 3% smaller so that it would fit in a normal garage. Not to long after he announced that even 3% smaller would make it too small and that they weren't going to change the size.

Which seems like that means that to prototype which was about 84" (213cm) will be the width and 231" (5.88m) will be the length.
Sponsored