Windshield Wiper Ideas - Let's Help Tesla!

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
If the BAW was high on Musk’s list of annoyances, it would be gone.

People don’t quite grasp what the Cybertruck priorities are. They aren’t changing anything on the truck unless it accomplishes one of these 4 things without impacting the other 3:
  • Reduce cost
  • Reduce Weight
  • Make the truck more aero
  • Make it easier to manufacture
Making a little hide-a-wiper cubby might make it more aero, but increases complexity, cost, and increases manufacturing steps. Seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Musks comments about the wiper were made when it was even bigger and more in-your-face.

Sorry it bugs you. But it’s not going anywhere and unless your idea can be done without sacrificing the above priorities, you can forget about it,
Thank you! I love when people start shouting about problems and acting like, if you're not on my side, you don't know tesla lol.

The bottom line is, if Elon hated it that much it'd be gone 100%. Tesla doesn't settle unless it's absolutely necessary given the tech.

And I don't think a bunch of randos on a forum are going to out engineer Tesla.

I almost forgot my obligatory "if you don't agree with me, you don't know Tesla... first principles... disruption... mars... x.com... insert other talking points here...
Sponsored

JerryVeroBeach

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Chevrolet Silverado
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Okay, I was hoping the Tesla engineers could come up with an acceptable design on their own, but it looks like they need our help. I would propose a compressed air system that shoots air up and over the windshield. The unit could utilize the heat pump to warm the air when necessary. Please post your ideas on this thread, these guys need some HELP!!!
DAMN! And here I am thinking I was the only person in the world who ever thought of that. 45 years ago, I (mistakenly) used RainEx on the windshield of my Jaguar Sovereign. As I drove at highway speeds, the rain just beaded up and ran off. Apart from the smeared windshield you had when the Rainex wore off, the other problem was when you weren't driving fast enough, the rain didn't run off (fast enough) --- hence, what I thought was MY compressed air idea. This idea needs a compressor, and tank(s) to hold a reserve of pressurized air.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
DAMN! And here I am thinking I was the only person in the world who ever thought of that. 45 years ago, I (mistakenly) used RainEx on the windshield of my Jaguar Sovereign. As I drove at highway speeds, the rain just beaded up and ran off. Apart from the smeared windshield you had when the Rainex wore off, the other problem was when you weren't driving fast enough, the rain didn't run off (fast enough) --- hence, what I thought was MY compressed air idea. This idea needs a compressor, and tank(s) to hold a reserve of pressurized air.
next time you’re traveling in rain at hey speeds, just turn your wipers off

air compressor beta test

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yup, get rid of all that front glass, use 3mm stainless steel with holes for two cameras and interior front would be couple large LCD screens.
Damn, you got there first :)

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I really think either the BAW is a Tesla joke on us designed to impress us with the real tech even more this summer. Or designed intentionally so hideous that ensures any owner will take it off after purchase leaving most CTs on the road with the original look.

However since OP asked for Ideas, I would say, replace the BAW with a SAW. A Small wiper that cleans a high resolution front facing camera to be used during the rain. Less drag, less energy wasted and most importantly less exposure to ugly for innocent bystander looking at CT.

Edit: May be it would be better with two wipers and two cameras. Wipers would be out of phase so the resulting image would be clear most of the time (better than BAW). With a wide driver display that can handle stitched view that includes side cameras.
C'mon, those of us in the know all realize we're getting major laser blasters to vaporize water and anything else in the way. So obvious.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Yup, get rid of all that front glass, use 3mm stainless steel with holes for two cameras and interior front would be couple large LCD screens.
These ideas are getting BAWnkers

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Don't be too chicken to dream bigger...BAWk, BAWk BAWk.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I should've posted this earlier in the thread when it started I know, because it's morphed into funnier more entertaining anecdotes by now. Not the first time being late for a party and likely won't be the last. But anyway...

Tesla has the prototypes, and we don't have any Cybertrucks yet. So Tesla has magnitudes more knowledge of the truck and wiper considerations.

Tesla might be wisely making just a practical wiper for production scaling, until they can get perfection or approval for newer rain shielding methods alluded to in a couple of their patents:

If Tesla is actually working on a new water deflection solution that's revolutionary, it would likely take longer for technical and regulatory reasons, and thus should not be connected to the Cybertruck or delay it. If Tesla perfects something, they can likely use it on other models as well.

Or - Tesla may be working on a more optimal conventional wiper(s) solution for the CT, but knows they would not have time to refine it and thus needs a simple wiper on the CT to begin production without further delays.

Until we get our hands on an actual Cybertruck, we would just be armchair engineer wannabes squawking from the sidelines. No point in questioning Tesla until we can actually demonstrate an alternate conventional wiper solution ourselves. Tesla has usually explored implementations much deeper than onlookers using an internet browser.

- ÆCIII

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
About the time you thought of that, there were small jet aircraft that started using high pressure air coming out of a vent where the nose meets the windscreen to both deal with rain and icing. (This high pressure air is quite warm, 400+ degrees C at the engine source)Some of these also had little aerodynamic panels that would raise up and increase the airflow in front of the windscreen to divert drops over the windscreen, thus keeping a small area of visibility where the pilots needed it.

However, today most jets have very aerodynamic windscreens and are covered with a material that is basically lifetime rainX. It requires special care and cleaning, but lasts forever. (Note: you cannot take your plane through the car wash at Costco and expect the rain dispersant to still work!) IF the armored glass were coated with such a materiel, and IF people cared for it properly (no windex!) with the aero of the CT front end, you might have sufficient airflow somewhere around 20 mph for it to work, maybe. (Note: this would require a somewhat faster speed during those massive Florida downpours they and most of the south gets!)
Sponsored