Yoke Steering Wheel in S, X Cybertruck. NHTSA says, ‘What you talking ‘bout, Elon?!”

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yea.....cyclic control pitch on rotors......collective is for power.....more power equals more air flow over rotors creating the lift.....up and down movements are controlled by the stick (cyclic).....I do believe this is correct
Sponsored

Deleted member 859

Yoke removes the part of the steering wheel we should no longer be using.
Keeps our hands at ten and two, or three and nine, away from the airbag. Where we can most control the vehicle from.
It clears room for our vision forward.
And it gives us tactile feedback of the wheels' position.

-Crissa
Ever try backing up a trailer without putting your left hand on top of the steering wheel? This is a truck. It needs to be able to do truck work. If a yoke is the only option, this will require some other system for backing a trailer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ever try backing up a trailer without...
That's just a technique. One that doesn't work if you're backing using mirrors or cameras anyhow. And will be unnecessary with driver aids.

Also, I'm dyslexic (I invert things randomly) so no, it doesn't help me.

-Crissa

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
That's just a technique. One that doesn't work if you're backing using mirrors or cameras anyhow. And will be unnecessary with driver aids.

-Crissa
Backing up with your head turned and your hand on top of the wheel is the correct technique.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Backing up with your head turned and your hand on top of the wheel is the correct technique.
That is one technique. It is not the correct technique for many situations. I default to using my mirrors as it works in almost all scenarios. If the truck has something blocking your rear view like a topper, camper, large item in the bed, or a vehicle that's not a truck like a van, large military type vehicle etc. the turning your head method doesn't work.

I was also told by my father and grandfather that when you get older it's not as easy to twist your body.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I am sure we will see aftermarket ad ons to make the yoke round and I would imagine that with all the negative feedback, Tesla will make a round option soon

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I was also told by my father and grandfather that when you get older it's not as easy to twist your body.
They weren't pulling your leg.

For me its hands on the bottom of the wheel, eyes shifting between the backup display and the mirrors. Move the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag

-Crissa
I keep a hand at the bottom of the wheel. That way, I know the trailer will back to the left or right according to the direction my hand moves. Wouldn't work so well with a yoke.

Are there really regulations about steering wheels? Doubt if they require that they be round. One popular car from the past had a wheel flat on the bottom, to provide more lap space.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I keep a hand at the bottom of the wheel. That way, I know the trailer will back to the left or right according to the direction my hand moves. Wouldn't work so well with a yoke.

Are there really regulations about steering wheels? Doubt if they require that they be round. One popular car from the past had a wheel flat on the bottom, to provide more lap space.
Lots of cars have the flat bottom wheel. Suddenly I have a Queen song playing in my head.

My Golf R has a flat bottomed steering wheel, it's a sports car thing, well really it's a race car thing that translated somewhat unnecessarily to sporty road cars because it looks kinda cool. Does make it theoretically a bit easier to slide into the seat but then I could just be less tubby instead.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
That is "a" technique for unrestricted rearview mirror views. But not the only one.

That is not the technique for box trucks and commercial semis, pickups with caps, delivery vans, tall trailer pulling, etc.... Lots of vehicles driving around have no view out the back. Side mirrors usage is also the way to reverse safely. And backup cameras if equipped are a help, but don't count on them in those situations.

Techniques for backups are dependent on vehicle and usage.

As stated above, the CT rearview will be restricted by the vault some or most of the time, so the "correct" technique for reversing is fluid.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Lots of cars have the flat bottom wheel. Suddenly I have a Queen song playing in my head.

My Golf R has a flat bottomed steering wheel, it's a sports car thing, well really it's a race car thing that translated somewhat unnecessarily to sporty road cars because it looks kinda cool. Does make it theoretically a bit easier to slide into the seat but then I could just be less tubby instead.
Exactly. So I don't see how there could be a rule that it has to be round.

I've wondered why bus steering-wheels are double-size and almost horizontal. Maybe it's now just a convention that started before there was power steering.

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Had a chance to consider this yesterday while backing out of a parking space at the harbor where we keep our boat. An ancient Ford pickup, parked illegally in a that's-not-a-parking-space behind my truck, severely limited how far I could back up. A person (who had no mask in the parking lot - irrelevant but it didn't help my stress level) climbed into the Hyundai parked next to me on the right as I hit the start button.

I think even a simple AI would understand my intent to back out. There was nowhere else to go. It would have picked "R". No problem there.

However, even with the steering wheel pulled as far to the left as the limited space between parked cars would allow, I would have hit the Ford behind me if I'd tried to simply back out of the space. I had to back to within a couple of inches of the thing, and execute a very tight three-pointer, as the Hyundai's backup lights came on. Really? You can see that someone is backing out of the space RIGHT NEXT TO YOURS and struggling with it, who is directly behind your car and within inches of it, and you decide to go into REVERSE?

I made that tight three point turn as fast as I possibly could, and as I was pulling away unscathed, had to wonder what might have happened if I had to take the extra time that I _think_ I would need if my steering wheel had been a yoke. I had to go lock-to-lock twice, as fast as possible.

This is the sort of real-world weird moment that we all face now and then. What does Tesla have up its collective sleeve here? Why would this not be a source of owner disappointment with the yoke?

Granted, Hyundai owners are likely to be a tad more respectful of the CT than they appear to be of my humble Ridgeline. Sure, if they do actually take foot-off-brake at a moment like that, then it is likely that the damage will be to their vehicle alone. Still, one would try to avoid an accident.

Is it possible that I could count on that same AI to see the need for that three-point turn and execute it faster than I could? How would that work?
If you grab the yoke with one hand you can spin it just as fast as a wheel. Maybe faster. I know, when I have to make a sharp turn in my current PU, I grab the cross-member, not the external wheel.
Sponsored