Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Here is a great deep dive by Nikola Garage into the history of stainless steel construction in the auto industry, the nature of stainless steel, rust, and why the Cybertruck body and frame "should last forever.”

Sponsored

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Great video, very informative, thank you.

But if I'm not mistaken you missed one key highlight that differentiates the Cybertruck further, with the proprietary recipe used for its Stainless Steel.

Elon tweeted, about Element 43. It is Technetium.
It's also a rust inhibitor like Chromium.
However Technetium is Radio Active !

P.S. It's harmless in the tiny quantity used to make the Stainless Steel, unless your licking the steel.
Thats why I'll be washing the Cybertruck every second day . . . . . and alternating with the kids ;)

Oh, I almost forgot too Josh, rust is also a problem for people along the coast, due to the salt, not just those living in the snow states.

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Nice video. Thanks for posting.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Great video, very informative, thank you.

But if I'm not mistaken you missed one key highlight that differentiates the Cybertruck further, with the proprietary recipe used for its Stainless Steel.

Elon tweeted, about Element 43. It is Technetium.
It's also a rust inhibitor like Chromium.
However Technetium is Radio Active !

P.S. It's harmless in the tiny quantity used to make the Stainless Steel, unless your licking the steel.
Thats why I'll be washing the Cybertruck every second day . . . . . and alternating with the kids ;)

Oh, I almost forgot too Josh, rust is also a problem for people along the coast, due to the salt, not just those living in the snow states.
Do you have a definitive source for the use of technetium on the Cybertruck? Or was it a random/unrelated tweet? It seems to be an expensive and dangerous way to add rust inhibition by the use of an artificial and radioactive metal. By doing some research, apparently you need 50 -55 PPM to have that rust inhibition benefit. and, it is typically used in medical equipment, and theorized for used in rocket engines.

Even a tiny amount of a radioactive metal would essentially surround the occupants on the whole exoskeleton of the truck.

Not trying to be difficult, but I'm a skeptic of this claim without proof.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Do you have a definitive source for the use of technetium on the Cybertruck? Or was it a random/unrelated tweet? It seems to be an expensive and dangerous way to add rust inhibition by the use of an artificial and radioactive metal. By doing some research, apparently you need 50 -55 PPM to have that rust inhibition benefit. and, it is typically used in medical equipment, and theorized for used in rocket engines.

Even a tiny amount of a radioactive metal would essentially surround the occupants on the whole exoskeleton of the truck.

Not trying to be difficult, but I'm a skeptic of this claim without proof.
Hi DMC-81,

Considering the timing, the author of the tweet, and the subject matter itself, I don't consider it a brilliant deduction on my part, that Technetium is being used in the proprietary Stainless Steel formula for the Cybertruck.
Which Elon confirmed "we are going to be using the same alloy in the Starship Rocket and the Cybertruck".

While Technetium can be used in Rocket engines, the same Alloy used in the Cybertruck is not being used in Rocket engines,
I'd suggest its far more exotic and expensive.
But it stands to reason that its used in the body of the rocket, perhaps in various thickness's, is what Elon is referring too.

Why would he mention Technetium, if he wasn't using it ?

And your're right, I did a little research on it too, it is used in very small quantity (parts per million), for the purposes you mention.
While Radio Active substance's are definetely dangerous, Its a leap to suggest that the use of Technetium in the quantity and application in this instance is dangerous, I'd suggest its either inert or non the less safe.

P.S. As for definitive proof, you may not even consider the word of Elon as sufficient for that.
I mean he didnt take the company private at 420 as he said he would ! ;)

And some people are overtly way over reaching in Elon's vague comments, such as "there's more to it than that" in reference to Plaid powertrain, to suggest the Cybertruck will have 4 motors.

Personally, I hear that if we drive the Cybertruck for long enough, in the right conditions, we turn into the HULK :D

Last edited:

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
BEST VIDEO ABOUT THE CYBERTRUCK I'VE WATCHED SO FAR (INCLUDING MINE) !!!

This is absolutely the best video I've seen on the Cybertruck so far. Interesting (and under-explored) topic, Information that was TOTALLY new to me, Exceptional filming and graphics and superb delivery. So enjoyable I've watched it twice (although to be fair, the second time was me trying to figure out how I could use this example to make my videos better).

I am painfully aware of how long it takes to research, compose, film and edit a video and all I can say is BRAUVO!

I'm going to say to you what everyone so kindly says to me. Please make more Cybertruck videos. You have a gift.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
Interesting. I'm a chemist who at times worked with radioisotopes. Tc 99 is long lived isotope, and a weak beta emitter with no gamma ray. So , at a low concentration it should be fine.
If you are deeply concerned ... remember you have a lot of potassium in your body and that is radioactive too!

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Interesting. I'm a chemist who at times worked with radioisotopes. Tc 99 is long lived isotope, and a weak beta emitter with no gamma ray. So , at a low concentration it should be fine.
If you are deeply concerned ... remember you have a lot of potassium in your body and that is radioactive too!
It's semi acceptable if driving the radio active Cybertruck doesn't turn me into the HULK,

but I will be very disappointed if at least some parts of me don't glow in the dark :cool:

I may even complain on twitter and put up photo evidence !

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi DMC-81,

Considering the timing, the author of the tweet, and the subject matter itself, I don't consider it a brilliant deduction on my part, that Technetium is being used in the proprietary Stainless Steel formula for the Cybertruck.
Which Elon confirmed "we are going to be using the same alloy in the Starship Rocket and the Cybertruck".

While Technetium can be used in Rocket engines, the same Alloy used in the Cybertruck is not being used in Rocket engines,
I'd suggest its far more exotic and expensive.
But it stands to reason that its used in the body of the rocket, perhaps in various thickness's, is what Elon is referring too.

Why would he mention Technetium, if he wasn't using it ?

And your're right, I did a little research on it too, it is used in very small quantity (parts per million), for the purposes you mention.
While Radio Active substance's are definetely dangerous, Its a leap to suggest that the use of Technetium in the quantity and application in this instance is dangerous, I'd suggest its either inert or non the less safe.

P.S. As for definitive proof, you may not even consider the word of Elon as sufficient for that.
I mean he didnt take the company private at 420 as he said he would ! ;)

And some people are overtly way over reaching in Elon's vague comments, such as "there's more to it than that" in reference to Plaid powertrain, to suggest the Cybertruck will have 4 motors.

Personally, I hear that if we drive the Cybertruck for long enough, in the right conditions, we turn into the HULK :D
Thanks for the reply. I guess "context" would have been better than "definitive" in my post above. I don't need definitive proof, but just more context. I find Twitter to sometimes feed the electronic rumor mill which you alluded to.

Do you have (or anyone) the subject matter of the conversation before he tweeted "You don’t hear much about element 43 ". I don't have Twitter, and I can only find snippets and people's conjecture when I do a search on that tweet.

Thanks, and you have an interesting job. I'm not deeply concerned, and I'm sure that Tesla will make sure our CTs are safe, but my concern was around reports that the use of this element was only safe in closed environment. I'm sure that when the CT is released, you-tubers will be right there with a Geiger counter. ;)

Reactions: Geo

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Here is a great deep dive by Nikola Garage into the history of stainless steel construction in the auto industry, the nature of stainless steel, rust, and why the Cybertruck body and frame "should last forever.”

Every CT Owner's Manual should have 1 share of WD-40 stock equity as token to the amount by which it will raise the company's earnings. Nothing cleans S.S. better

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Every CT Owner's Manual should have 1 share of WD-40 stock equity as token to the amount by which it will raise the company's earnings. Nothing cleans S.S. better
Cool. I find WD-40 to be ok as a penetrant, and great as a remover of mild adhesives, but it is oily as a cleaner. You'll need to wash it off afterwards and that is tough. The WD stands for Water Displacement, (40th attempt at a successful formula). However I find BarKeepers Friend great at cleaning stains off stainless and brightening it up. I use it once a year or as needed on my DeLorean.
Tesla Cybertruck Deep Dive: Why Stainless Steel Cybertruck Construction Is Genius and Why It Will Last Forever Against Rust [Nikola Garage] ima

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
. . . . . I find Twitter to sometimes feed the electronic rumor mill which you alluded to.
Hey Dana,
once more your're quite right, It's more than prudent these days to question what appear to be authoritative legitimate sources, let alone unfamiliar ones that sound off on twitter or in a forum.

I hear there's a guy in your part of the world suggesting people who have Covid -19 should perhaps try gargling with disinfectant or injecting it into their bodies to try to "clean the lungs" !

When every body knows your're supposed to Macgyver a toothbrush to a long wooden spoon and scrub your lungs directly.

I keep trying, but the hardest part for me is cocking my head back far enough. . . . . I keep falling over backwards.

I'm not deeply concerned, and I'm sure that Tesla will make sure our CTs are safe, but my concern was around reports that the use of this element was only safe in closed environment. I'm sure that when the CT is released, you-tubers will be right there with a Geiger counter. ;)
Are you sure there isn't at least a little bit of Technetium in your De Lorean, those arms look very impressive, perhaps you should run a Geiger counter over your car first ;)

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Lemon and hot water!

• Juice from 2 lemons
  • 4-5 tbsp hot water
Directions:
  1. Mix together hot water and lemon juice in a small bowl
  2. Using a soft cloth, wipe SS down with lemon juice and water mixture going along with the grain of the stainless steel
  3. Then wipe down again with a dry paper towel
  4. You're done!
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo