A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Your Roo look like our cows and moose in N.A.
I was hoping for a post from the antipodes in response to this but as it hasn't come I'll respond. A moose weighs between 800 and 1500 pounds, The biggest roo, even a big old boomer, would top out at 200.

As to looking similar I was reminded of a little book of cartoons called, I think, just "The Roo Book" which showed them in various poses with one word captions that matched the drawing such as "Terroorist" depicting one with a beret and AK-47, "Rooted" showing one in the middle of the road as a road train hurtles down upon him and "Marroolinga" showing one with three legs and three eyes (the joke being that the British conducted atomic tests at Maralinga in the 50's). That one resembles a moose or cow about as much as a real ones do.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The fact that it looks very small doesn't mean it's not capable of adequately cooling a car.
Well no but what does Occam's razor suggest?

It is an incorrect summation. From something as simple as that, legs grow and threads are made that Tesla can't cool its cars. And here we are.
Tesla can't cool its cars - sometimes. Common sense tells you that. Sometimes my home A/C can't cool my home and sometimes the heat pumps can't heat it. That's why there are backup systems. Again, I think the threads that you speak of are started by people naive in the engineer's art. An engineer would read the comment about Sandy Munro and know exactly why he made the comment and understand what the implications are what their significance is. Someone who knows nothing about A/C or automotive engineering or any other kind of engineering, for that matter, and who want's attention may try to transmogrify Sandy's comment into a major point of dissention. And here we are.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Would a single bent bullbar, aka Brawler, kick a Roo over the roof?
001D3C90-AE6E-43B0-BF94-B1486A9FFCFF.jpeg

W/O a full cowcatcher across the front, you’re asking for an integral crash bar embedded behind the Cybertruck front nose skin.
Is that enough? Your Roo look like our cows and moose in N.A. They takeout the entire FEA(Frontend Ass‘y).
Yeah roos can be fairly large, so a decent "bull bar" is a must in most cases, something this works for most:

Tesla Cybertruck Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk? images (20)

Typically the best way for a roo to go is either side or under, the nastier outcome is when you hit them mid jump in flight and they come through the windscreen, if your lucky only their guts make it through the lanminate though...either way not nice, and potentially lethal.

The other problem is a bit self inflicted in that roads create water runoff that grows food along the side which they eat, so roads become hotspots certain times of the year. The other thing is they are nocternal but their night vision is not particularly great when blinded by lights, and they seemingly have a knack to jump towards the light as their ears fail to sense which direction your coming from.

I had some ultrasonic wildlife whistlers on my cruiser, prius etc but for some reason I never got around to put some on the van, they tend to help give them better orientation and make them head away from you instead. Never hit one in about 14 years of using them, but I managed to hit two with the van in 3 weeks.

The first one was a big grey, and he only clipped the side and took out the light, had he been front center like the last small one, I think I'd be on a 12 month waiting list for a new van. In both cases they were just sitting on the other side and jumped accros my side just as I was passing. Normally you brake to the max and aim for the tail, but no chance at that range and actually aiming for a stationary roo just always feels wrong.

Either way it would be nice to have some more integrated protection on the CT, at least a protected cooling assembly so you don'tget stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night like I did. Took my son 2 hours to get to me and then tow me back home.

I once thought an external airbag would be a good countermeasure. I'm a bit surprised no one has made an aftermarket on yet, should even work to help retard a vehicle in a crash, or at a minimum reduce impact, and wouldn't stuff up looks, aerodynamics or add to much weight.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That shit is hot, especially the catalytic converter! And it heats the steel that surrounds the occupants.
The entire exhaust system is like one big radiative cabin heater that the A/C system must overcome.
A typical catalytic converter has a surface area of 49 square inches ( 0.0316 M^2 on the upper surface) and runs at a temperaure of 673 K (400 °C) so it emits (upper surface only) 0.0316*8218.9 = 259 W. Since the body is stainless it has low emissivity (call it 0.5) that becomes 130 W. Noting that it has to be close to the engine to be this hot indicates that the temperature of the rest of the exhaust pipe behind it is decreasing and that its projected area is small and that the emission goes as the 4th power of temperature we'll add a generous 100 watts for the rest of the exhaust and ask if any one else here thinks 260 watts under the car is a "big radiative cabin heater"?

What happened to common sense? I can't answer that but it does seem to have become very uncommon.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
A typical catalytic converter has a surface area of 49 square inches ( 0.0316 M^2 on the upper surface) and runs at a temperaure of 673 K (400 °C) so it emits (upper surface only) 0.0316*8218.9 = 259 W. Since the body is stainless it has low emissivity (call it 0.5) that becomes 130 W. Noting that it has to be close to the engine to be this hot indicates that the temperature of the rest of the exhaust pipe behind it is decreasing and that its projected area is small and that the emission goes as the 4th power of temperature we'll add a generous 100 watts for the rest of the exhaust and ask if any one else here thinks 260 watts under the car is a "big radiative cabin heater"?

What happened to common sense? I can't answer that but it does seem to have become very uncommon.
Typical silly engineer, using numbers fudged to tell the particular lie he cares about at the moment. I won't stoop to that level to show how he minimized the surface area, the actual emissivity and, most fundamentally, the temperature. The biggest lie of all is one of omission. He conveniently forgot to include the exhaust manifold, acting like the catalytic converter is so close to the engine the rest of the exhaust system forward of the catalyst doesn't matter.

Really, who has time for such ridiculousness? Wait! I know, a retired, washed up engineer. It makes you wonder how any of his co-workers could stand him. Sorry if this sounds harsh but his behavior is that of a sick man.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Tesla has been hiding the frunk on the CT.

I guarantee you it will be hella small, as they wanted to keep the cabin full-size and the bed at 6.5ft.

A fridge in the frunk might work, but it might be very small, better to just plug in a cheap 120v $50 mini fridge, strapped into the back seat area, dime a dozen.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yeah roos can be fairly large, so a decent "bull bar" is a must in most cases, something this works for most:

images (20).jpeg

Typically the best way for a roo to go is either side or under, the nastier outcome is when you hit them mid jump in flight and they come through the windscreen, if your lucky only their guts make it through the lanminate though...either way not nice, and potentially lethal.

The other problem is a bit self inflicted in that roads create water runoff that grows food along the side which they eat, so roads become hotspots certain times of the year. The other thing is they are nocternal but their night vision is not particularly great when blinded by lights, and they seemingly have a knack to jump towards the light as their ears fail to sense which direction your coming from.

I had some ultrasonic wildlife whistlers on my cruiser, prius etc but for some reason I never got around to put some on the van, they tend to help give them better orientation and make them head away from you instead. Never hit one in about 14 years of using them, but I managed to hit two with the van in 3 weeks.

The first one was a big grey, and he only clipped the side and took out the light, had he been front center like the last small one, I think I'd be on a 12 month waiting list for a new van. In both cases they were just sitting on the other side and jumped accros my side just as I was passing. Normally you brake to the max and aim for the tail, but no chance at that range and actually aiming for a stationary roo just always feels wrong.

Either way it would be nice to have some more integrated protection on the CT, at least a protected cooling assembly so you don'tget stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night like I did. Took my son 2 hours to get to me and then tow me back home.

I once thought an external airbag would be a good countermeasure. I'm a bit surprised no one has made an aftermarket on yet, should even work to help retard a vehicle in a crash, or at a minimum reduce impact, and wouldn't stuff up looks, aerodynamics or add to much weight.
ARMOR glass will give all critters a glancing blow up and over the truck.

A little brawler bar would be “good enough” nose protection for what’s behind it, in case of critter attacks. Cross fingers Tesla will integrate a crashbar in the nose for critters. Cybertruck nose is so low to begin with, its windscreen so acutely angled, Roos are not going to crash through it. No guts inside, head or otherwise.

Except for the corner case, where a Roo tackles a H/L and front corner pinning metalwork against a tire. That is exercise for Tesla Crush Zone engineers to call the safety ball.

Note: Tesla in event no crashbar in nose? Provide structure 3rd party crash bars can weld or bolt. Otherwise, Cybertrucks will dissemble factory nose cones for fabbed and bolt-on Offroad solutions. PoisonSpyder Cybertrucks will be deriggeur.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Tesla has been hiding the frunk on the CT.

I guarantee you it will be hella small, as they wanted to keep the cabin full-size and the bed at 6.5ft.

A fridge in the frunk might work, but it might be very small, better to just plug in a cheap 120v $50 mini fridge, strapped into the back seat area, dime a dozen.
The only information I'm aware of for the frunk was the picture displayed at the reveal. It looks decent sized. Since this is the only information we have, we can only assume it's correct, or assume it's wrong. I chose to assume it's correct until proven false.

Tesla Cybertruck Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk? 1654731015652

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Typical silly engineer, using numbers fudged to tell the particular lie he cares about at the moment. I won't stoop to that level to show how he minimized the surface area, the actual emissivity and, most fundamentally, the temperature. The biggest lie of all is one of omission. He conveniently forgot to include the exhaust manifold, acting like the catalytic converter is so close to the engine the rest of the exhaust system forward of the catalyst doesn't matter.

Really, who has time for such ridiculousness? Wait! I know, a retired, washed up engineer. It makes you wonder how any of his co-workers could stand him. Sorry if this sounds harsh but his behavior is that of a sick man.
Wow dude talk about playing the man.
How low can you go? This isn't limbo you know. 🤯

Stoop that low to do some maths?

The only thing that adds up here is your poor form and forum etiquette, and super annoying prejudice that you think EVs are exempt from physics and are designed and made by magical christmas elves that sprinkle them with heat absorbing fairy dust.

If you had an ounce of engineer in you half of the interactions with you wouldn't exist.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The only information I'm aware of for the frunk was the picture displayed at the reveal. It looks decent sized. Since this is the only information we have, we can only assume it's correct, or assume it's wrong. I chose to assume it's correct until proven false.

1654731015652.png
This photograph was presented along with the side sails and tailgate ramp, which have both been deleted on the latest prototype.

Compared to the Ford, Silverado and Rivian, this frunk is much smaller. I hope we all get the frunk we see here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well no but what does Occam's razor suggest?

Tesla can't cool its cars - sometimes. Common sense tells you that. Sometimes my home A/C can't cool my home and sometimes the heat pumps can't heat it. That's why there are backup systems. Again, I think the threads that you speak of are started by people naive in the engineer's art. An engineer would read the comment about Sandy Munro and know exactly why he made the comment and understand what the implications are what their significance is. Someone who knows nothing about A/C or automotive engineering or any other kind of engineering, for that matter, and who want's attention may try to transmogrify Sandy's comment into a major point of dissention. And here we are.
Occam's razor proposes the simplest explanation. That a small one was used as a compromise is conjecture and imo not correct.

'Tesla can't cool its cars - sometimes.'
Depends on circumstance, and I reckon the more accurate statement would be to replace the word 'Telsa' with 'Cars'

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This photograph was presented along with the side sails and tailgate ramp, which have both been deleted on the latest prototype.

Compared to the Ford, Silverado and Rivian, this frunk is much smaller. I hope we all get the frunk we see here, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Theres a few threads here dedicated to the frunk discussion. Reality is the front windscreen and associated dash are absolutely huge, more than twice that of any other truck, and there is heaps of space for even a Lightning sized frunk (400l) that looks like this in size:

Tesla Cybertruck Refrigerated Cybertruck Frunk? CT Frunk 400l

Note this is just a square box inside of the front wheel arches, a contour molded frunk could be even more generous, and there is still enough room for a MS Plaid sized HVAC and cooler setup underneath and in front. A MS has much less space and is a lot lower, but still has a frunk too.

The front seat foot wells barely go past the front door posts, and is a still some 5-6ft from the front. I'm hoping that the frunk lid also lifts the front grill for easy access and a low loading lip.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Did a closeup of the frunk lid on the recent pics the other day,

It looked like the lid wasn't attached to the grill. if so, it lends itself to being flung open with the wind.

I think a good chance the production version will incorporate the grill. I hope.

However, my concern is the wiring needs to be rerouted to the back, increasing costs, which works against it. The front lid could end up having a narrow bend instead of a straight edge.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I agree, I'm also hoping that the frunk lid lifts the front grill for easy access and a low loading lip
I think there is about a zero chance the Cybertruck's frunk will mimic the Lightening's frunk. The only way Cybertruck's frunk could do that would be to make the hood level like the Lightning's. And we know the top of the hood will be slanted, not level.

The good news is the sloping hood will mean loaading the frunk will not be a problem. Ford had to attach the front "grill" area to the hood or it would be unloadable by anyone less than 7 or 8 feet tall! The Cybertruck with it's sloping hood absolutely needs that frontal area for safety in frontal collisions while the Lightning's hood is high enough there is still plenty of structure below the frunk's floor to perform that function.

Because physics matters. Some things are non-negotiable.
Sponsored