Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe Tesla will develop some kind of folding spare to help you limp to a service station. With the adjustable suspension and the computer limiting speed most of the weight could be born by the other 3 wheels. Wounded paw mode.

Most of us are not serious off roaders, if you are put your full size spare in the vault.

I don't want a full size spare at the expense of weight and storage. Give me a great tire repair kit and the aforementioned folding donut.
I still want a full size spare. I'm hoping the under bed location, accessible from the bed. Yes it will be slightly inconvenient, but a little planning can go a long way.
If you know the bed will be filled, perhaps stow the tire for this particular trip in the frank (space allowing), or in the cab (space allowing). To me, having the under bed hatch unavailable (for example hauling a load of construction material, or large item like a fridge), simply unload the spare and place it in the bed on top of the load. And perhaps one very last option, strap it onto the tonneau cover somehow. It is only for this hopefully one-off load. If none of those ideas work out, rent a trailer or have it delivered. Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I still want a full size spare. I'm hoping the under bed location, accessible from the bed. Yes it will be slightly inconvenient, but a little planning can go a long way.
If you know the bed will be filled, perhaps stow the tire for this particular trip in the frank (space allowing), or in the cab (space allowing). To me, having the under bed hatch unavailable (for example hauling a load of construction material, or large item like a fridge), simply unload the spare and place it in the bed on top of the load. And perhaps one very last option, strap it onto the tonneau cover somehow. It is only for this hopefully one-off load. If none of those ideas work out, rent a trailer or have it delivered. Necessity is the mother of all invention.
A front bumper mount might be interesting.

agree though, most of the time under the vault should work fine.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
If under truck storage for a full size spare is not available, I'll carry it in the bed. When I need to use the bed, I plan on getting a swing away rear bumper spare wheel mount.

meleagris4

First Name
brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
subaru forester
Occupation
professor
Country flag
Two other options for a spare could be to use the L-track to make a shelf toward the front of the bed near the cab. That would allow you to slide larger items under it.
A hitch mounted tire carrier would be a cheap option but really limits using the tailgate.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I still want a full size spare.
Two schemes; roofrack or sailracked travel “stuff”(Spare,MaxTrax,Chains,Shovel). Pick one. Hate in-bed mounted. That forces unloading to gain access to a spare.
Can not crawl underneath to horse a spare from underbody. Tried roofracks no probs. An 80lbs wheel and tire was! Coming off the top when it gets loose goes ballistic after it hits terra firma. Shit happens.
Its either racked on back, up on a sailrail at rear or custom articulated rack that pivots the tire to ground.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Two schemes; roofrack or sailracked travel “stuff”(Spare,MaxTrax,Chains,Shovel). Pick one. Hate in-bed mounted. That forces unloading to gain access to a spare.
Can not crawl underneath to horse a spare from underbody. Tried roofracks no probs. An 80lbs wheel and tire was! Coming off the top when it gets loose goes ballistic after it hits terra firma. Shit happens.
Its either racked on back, up on a sailrail at rear or custom articulated rack that pivots the tire to ground.
My 2000 Ranger has a cable dropped spare. Makes it pretty easy to deal with a heavy tire and wheel. As long as it fits between the bumper and the rear axel you are good.

Attachments

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My 2000 Ranger has a cable dropped spare. Makes it pretty easy to deal with a heavy tire and wheel. As long as it fits between the bumper and the rear axel you are good.
Everyone thinks of aerodynamics being just the top of the car, but the shape of the underside is very important as well.

They might have some kind of removable piece that covers the spare, but I don’t think they would just let the spare hang out there adding drag.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i love the under bed tire crank thing that was in my toyota pickup, used it twice. 1 time the bed was full of camping and other stuff, so happy the tire wasnt inside the bed.

Deleted member 3316

i love the under bed tire crank thing that was in my toyota pickup, used it twice. 1 time the bed was full of camping and other stuff, so happy the tire wasnt inside the bed.
Yeah, surely it wouldn’t take too much engineering prowess to make a fold down bashplate/tyre holder.

Could be either in the front or back…

I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a big market for swing away bumper racks no matter which way Tesla decides to go.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah, surely it wouldn’t take too much engineering prowess to make a fold down bashplate/tyre holder.

Could be either in the front or back…

I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a big market for swing away bumper racks no matter which way Tesla decides to go.
You mean like this?

Tesla Cybertruck Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars. Spare Wheel Options

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Provided that there is space to fit one placing it under the body would be my preference, aero wise that is solved by covering the area with a snap fit plastic cover.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I would love to see Michelin airless tires successfully put on the CT. With CT’s brand new air suspension design, it would be out of this world😉
I would have no need to haul around hefty spares on long trips and no worry about daily air pressure checks either. 😄. As for off roading, I’m sure you can select the proper setting for traction instead of the old ways of having to let air out of tires for better grip and crawling. Anyways, we are heading off to Hwy 1 . Watcha think I’m going to do first? Yup. Make sure air pressure is right for outside temp. I always have my air gun with me everywhere I go as well. Temps will be lower near coast and must set tires accordingly. I’m a NUT when it comes to tire pressure and our planet. Going airless is the future. well, IMO.😊

Ok. Time to leave this valley!
Later skaters. 🤙

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I would love to see Michelin airless tires successfully put on the CT. With CT’s brand new air suspension design, it would be out of this world😉
I would have no need to haul around hefty spares on long trips and no worry about daily air pressure checks either. 😄. As for off roading, I’m sure you can select the proper setting for traction instead of the old ways of having to let air out of tires for better grip and crawling. Anyways, we are heading off to Hwy 1 . Watcha think I’m going to do first? Yup. Make sure air pressure is right for outside temp. I always have my air gun with me everywhere I go as well. Temps will be lower near coast and must set tires accordingly. I’m a NUT when it comes to tire pressure and our planet. Going airless is the future. well, IMO.😊

Ok. Time to leave this valley!
Later skaters. 🤙
Airing down tyres reduces the side wall pressure and increases the contact patch and floatation which reduces ground penetration. Airless tyres are not traction limited, so the traction control won't help if the tyre itself is pushing through the surface of the ground. Theres also ride, comfort and handling, all which are not ideal with airless, but maybe someday.

If anything there has been some recent CTIS Tesla patents for semi that might also work for CT for a central tyre inflation system. That would be really cool, and leave everything else in its wake. The best solution for all situations, also when you have a slow leak.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
FYI

A lot has been speculated on here, …will it have a Side Sail ?, where will we put the spare ?

I didn't realise it was explicitly mentioned.

I have just browsed the Cybertruck Tesla page, and low and behold, it's been there all the time.
(Can be missed as the page cycles to other pages in that specific section.)

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
1648521918492.png

Tesla Cybertruck Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars. Xnip2020-08-12_02-27-24

Tesla Cybertruck Space for your toolbox, TIRE and Cyberquad.....Sail pillars. tesla-cybertruck-storage-1024x575
Sponsored