Tesla can now price the Cybertruck (after tax credit bill deal)

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
With the CT now available for the $7500 tax credit, Tesla can finally price the CT.

I suspect the CT2 edition will take the biggest hit since it will definitely be less than $80,000. $49000 to $57,400 Will it be that obvious? That said it would be in line with what many have predicted without the tax credit.

- raw materials futures prices locked in based on more realistic futures market
- more certainty around 4680 production rates
- more certainty around gigacasting cost benefits
- new $6000 advanced auto pilot take rate
- known factory build cost

Who am I fooling. We won't know prices until Nov 19, 2022
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We won't know CT prices until production begins summer 2023. Not sure why you think it will be in November, but I would be surprised to see Tesla set prices based on federal rebates (especially considering Elon's position on this rebate bill).

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If only my government could pull its finger out too.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
We won't know CT prices until production begins summer 2023. Not sure why you think it will be in November, but I would be surprised to see Tesla set prices based on federal rebates (especially considering Elon's position on this rebate bill).
And especially with the likelihood there is an income cap on receiving the credit. Don't think they would price the vehicles based on a tax credit that only a percentage of purchasers would qualify for.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am guessing November because this would be 6 months prior to production and first deliveries, also the anniversary date might mean something and a run up to end of year stock price peak.

The new tax credit takes off the union clause. This will make Elon a little more receptive IMHO. The only downside to Tesla might be less incentive to be competitive in the foreign markets.

You have to factor in the tax credit to the extent it affects demand when you price your product regardless as to your politics. Tesla has to maximize profits to fund the next round of products, which supposedly will make the world better through electrification of everything.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If only my government could pull its finger out too.
What is the latest prospect for CT in Australia, I thought they were giving refunds?
Is it a LHD or a safety concern?

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
And especially with the likelihood there is an income cap on receiving the credit. Don't think they would price the vehicles based on a tax credit that only a percentage of purchasers would qualify for.
Most individual/couples make less than $150/$300k per year so it will apply to 90%+ of purchasers People making over that will probably be looking at the plaid edition anyway if they make it at all. I am guessing the plaid would be over the $80k threshold anyway.

Tesla doesn't really have a choice but to price the credit in some how. It will have a major impact on industry sales demand and industry resources. Will they just apply it straight to margin? Absolutely not.

The top trim below plaid might suspiciously be $79,900 IDK WAG.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The scuttlebutt is that it was 150K single, 300K couple. So everyone but the top 2% 5%.

-Crissa

Edit: Oops, income inequality increased.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The scuttlebutt is that it was 150K single, 300K couple. So everyone but the top 2%.

-Crissa
Top 2%? How poor are people in the US?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What is the latest prospect for CT in Australia, I thought they were giving refunds?
Is it a LHD or a safety concern?
They have always offered refunds, even in the USA. Just ICE advertising dollars talking rubbish through Aussie car magazines.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
You have to factor in the tax credit to the extent it affects demand when you price your product regardless as to your politics. Tesla has to maximize profits to fund the next round of products, which supposedly will make the world better through electrification of everything.
Tesla is not cash restrained. They can't spend all the money they have, because there's nothing to buy with it. The credit doesn't help them either as demand exceeds supply. If you can't make it, you can't sell it, and can't claim a credit either.

The reason why they aren't bringing new products to market is that they can't make/ buy enough parts for them. Even if they were cash constrained, currently they could borrow whatever they wanted. Simply, money is not the issue. But they might as well make some along the way right? ;)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
In reality, the tax credit should have NO EFFECT on pricing, unless you are being slimy and raising prices to capture that credit for yourself (which yes, Tesla has done in the past).

:mad:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In reality, the tax credit should have NO EFFECT on pricing, unless you are being slimy and raising prices to capture that credit for yourself (which yes, Tesla has done in the past).

:mad:
You mean, lowered.

There's little evidence Tesla has raised prices more during the credit than after.

-Crissa

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
With the CT now available for the $7500 tax credit, Tesla can finally price the CT.

I suspect the CT2 edition will take the biggest hit since it will definitely be less than $80,000. $49000 to $57,400 Will it be that obvious? That said it would be in line with what many have predicted without the tax credit.

- raw materials futures prices locked in based on more realistic futures market
- more certainty around 4680 production rates
- more certainty around gigacasting cost benefits
- new $6000 advanced auto pilot take rate
- known factory build cost

Who am I fooling. We won't know prices until Nov 19, 2022
Did they announce the price will be announced nov. 2022?
Sponsored