Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yeah, this is the catch 22. How do you know if it's a faulty gauge or declining reserve? Only one way to check. top it off and try to drive 260+ miles!
Yeah... Lets not make excuses though... The mileage remaining needs to be somewhat accurate. How can we expect mass adoption if you don't really know how much "gas" is left in the tank. Sure you can use percentage, you can use the energy app. Most people don't want to do deal with these complexities. Beyond that, the estimated range is a sensitive topic when it comes to batteries. If it can't be made more accurate, and more consistently accurate maybe it shouldn't be an option. In my gas car I rarely look at the fuel gauge, I used either the trip meter or the range remaining, mostly because it's pretty accurate and the design of the display puts the range front and center.

I'll try what you suggest if you pay for the flatbed to come and pick up the car. ?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah... Lets not make excuses though... The mileage remaining needs to be somewhat accurate. How can we expect mass adoption if you don't really know how much "gas" is left in the tank. car. ?
Yeah, I totally agree. Ford apparently does a much better job at this. ICE cars have had reasonably accurate "Miles remaining at current burn" gauges for at least 10 years. Tesla should have one too.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I totally agree. Ford apparently does a much better job at this. ICE cars have had reasonably accurate "Miles remaining at current burn" gauges for at least 10 years. Tesla should have one too.
my Lexus GS350 was accurate to +/- 2 miles

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Doesn't Tesla have that info in the navigation tool?

-Crissa
Yes. But it's a little frustrating. You go into the energy app and it shows you a nice plot. If you have a destination in the map, it even tells you how much power will be left, taking hills into account which is very nice.

The energy app covers most of the screen though so you can't view your range remaining or charge at destination numbers and the map at the same time.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing that makes up for Tessa's somewhat awkward trip computer options is you can do third party integrations. For example, pull up A Better Route Planner on your phone or tablet and keep that up as a second display.

But fundamentally "Can I reach my destination without charging?" should be a question I can answer without having to pull up another screen.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But fundamentally "Can I reach my destination without charging?" should be a question I can answer without having to pull up another screen.
Should it?

With an EV, they're so efficient that the speed and slope are super important. If I use the freeway, I use 50% more power. If I go up the hill instead of down I use 100% more power. If I use the road I can regen on I get 5% back but use 10% to get up there but if I use the shorter route that I can't, I end up using 5% anyhow down the less-steep hill I can't regen on. And if it's cold, I could use up to 50% more power tho that luckily only stacks with speed and not slope (weirdly)...

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Should it?

With an EV, they're so efficient that the speed and slope are super important. If I use the freeway, I use 50% more power. If I go up the hill instead of down I use 100% more power. If I use the road I can regen on I get 5% back but use 10% to get up there but if I use the shorter route that I can't, I end up using 5% anyhow down the less-steep hill I can't regen on. And if it's cold, I could use up to 50% more power tho that luckily only stacks with speed and not slope (weirdly)...

-Crissa
If I'm driving without the bikes on my Model Y, the range estimate is pretty good. It even takes into account things like grade. Without my bikes, the range estimates are pretty solid. With the bikes it's a lot less reliable but at least consistent.

The estimate which is at the top of the screen is so bad it's not really worth seeing there.

Tesla is really good at computing. The fact that my 7 year old Subaru is able to calculate this fairly well while my Tesla is constantly throwing a hugely overstated number is should be embarrassing to them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can change the number at the top of the screen to a percent.

I dunno, if it doesn't know where you're driving, it's just going to be wrong. My Mazda 3 is up to 20% wrong, all the time. I filled it up after the road trip and it said I had more than 500 miles range! I rarely get more than 400.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
You can change the number at the top of the screen to a percent.

I dunno, if it doesn't know where you're driving, it's just going to be wrong. My Mazda 3 is up to 20% wrong, all the time. I filled it up after the road trip and it said I had more than 500 miles range! I rarely get more than 400.

-Crissa
My Golf R is pretty accurate. It might be off by about 10%. I tend to drive the same roads, with the same load etc. most of the time, so that may be why.

People are going to be hyper focused on it in an EV though.

OP
OP

Jose pena

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's Biden's plan, yes. A $10k one. (7.5k for BEV, plus 2.5k for American made.) There's also rumors of being able to get it as a markdown at point of sale.

Different states also have incentives, too.

-Crissa

Any update?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Any update?
Sounds like Manchin dug in his feet and is blocking the whole BBB plan. Unless they can break it up into smaller bills or get some Republicans on board, it's dead in the water. Also, it's an election year so calculus may change.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like Manchin dug in his feet and is blocking the whole BBB plan. Unless they can break it up into smaller bills or get some Republicans on board, it's dead in the water. Also, it's an election year so calculus may change.
No 'or' available. Republicans are blocking everything so breaking it into pieces means those pieces need Republican votes.

-Crissa
Sponsored