Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think your logic is correct although I will take the rebate.
Yes please. Gets the CT just a bit close to cash purchase territory.

I do think it's safer to have the rebates. The transition to EVs does seem inevitable now but I'd rather be cautious and continue to offer incentives. I don't really care about the cost, it's tiny compared to the expenditure on other things. The traditional automakers aren't exactly inspiring when it comes to EVs and if the incentives favor Tesla then so be it, it favors them because they are the ones who created the market. I won't shed a tear if it's the nail in the coffin of Ford and GM, perhaps it's time that younger, more nimble companies replaced them.
I really don't know what's going to happen with the rest of the auto-makers. Maybe they are acquisition targets for brand names like Dodge was.

The EV market is so much healthier in the EU and China. Tesla is doing well there too, but not dominating EVs the way they do here.
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I really don't know what's going to happen with the rest of the auto-makers. Maybe they are acquisition targets for brand names like Dodge was.

The EV market is so much healthier in the EU and China. Tesla is doing well there too, but not dominating EVs the way they do here.
Yeah, Tesla does well but the German brands do okay. I suspect and many have said for a while now that VAG will likely survive the transition to EVs.

Assuming the 4680s do what they claim, I suspect Ford and GM are toast. You're right, their biggest asset might be the brand.

Honestly, the batteries are still problematic as much as we run around saying they aren't. My partner's model 3 started with 310 miles of range. 46K miles later and about 2 years it claims 256 miles of range. That's not good. Not everyone experiences that, but many do. Tesla says it's "normal". The battery is charged to 80% most of the time, and kept above 20%. The only claim may be the amount of super charging, but honestly, that shouldn't be an issue and also, it still mostly charges in the garage from a 110V outlet.

I am hoping the 4680s address many of these issues given their higher cycle life. For really mass market adoption they need to be more robust.

Deleted member 12457

What is to stop Tesla from simply asking you to register your "interest" in buying an ATV or FSD? After you purchase the truck an email is sent with a link to purchase the ATV and the FSD in separate transactions.
That's fine but any tax credit won't be a percentage of the same price, it's a fixed amount. Only issue is the max purchase of $80K being exceeded and maybe not getting the credit. What you might be thinking about is the state vehicle sales tax and license charged in all(?) states. If bought separately, FSD might be able to be purchased under their radar but the ATV will probably require sales tax and a license--maybe not if it's not licensed for the street.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think the incentives are even needed at this point. Look at how the Model 3 and Model Y have gained momentum...
They're doing that at way above the median new car price.

But we want to make sure that EVs and their big up-front energy cost (that battery) is affordable to middle-class folks. That's why the incentives are important.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
That's fine but any tax credit won't be a percentage of the same price, it's a fixed amount. Only issue is the max purchase of $80K being exceeded and maybe not getting the credit. What you might be thinking about is the state vehicle sales tax and license charged in all(?) states. If bought separately, FSD might be able to be purchased under their radar but the ATV will probably require sales tax and a license--maybe not if it's not licensed for the street.
I’m talking about keeping the vehicle under the threshold for the tax credit.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Honestly, the batteries are still problematic as much as we run around saying they aren't. My partner's model 3 started with 310 miles of range. 46K miles later and about 2 years it claims 256 miles of range. That's not good. Not everyone experiences that, but many do. Tesla says it's "normal". The battery is charged to 80% most of the time, and kept above 20%. The only claim may be the amount of super charging, but honestly, that shouldn't be an issue and also, it still mostly charges in the garage from a 110V outlet.
Has your partner calibrated their battery lately? Nearly the same thing happened to my M3 but most of that missing range returned after calibrating.

Bought the car with 310 miles, got the software update that jumped it up to 326, and now it's at 316 over three years later after.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has your partner calibrated their battery lately? Nearly the same thing happened to my M3 but most of that missing range returned after calibrating.

Bought the car with 310 miles, got the software update that jumped it up to 326, and now it's at 316 over three years later after.
how do you calibrate the battery....my 2019 has at 286.......bought new...thanks

which update are you talking about

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

So Tesla said to do the following:
Tesla Cybertruck tax credit for the cybertruck 1628626759069

A little annoying... and works better if you mostly charge at home.

I have seen some other procedures but sticking to Tesla recommended for now. How did you calibrate your battery?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So Tesla said to do the following:
1628626759069.png

A little annoying... and works better if you mostly charge at home.

I have seen some other procedures but sticking to Tesla recommended for now. How did you calibrate your battery?
That's going to be tough for me until we get our 220v setup in. Right now we are charging pretty much non-stop when we are home just to keep enough mileage to drive the car regularly.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
That's going to be tough for me until we get our 220v setup in. Right now we are charging pretty much non-stop when we are home just to keep enough mileage to drive the car regularly.
Same, we were just discussing getting the 220v installed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Same, we were just discussing getting the 220v installed.
I have the damned charger sitting in my living room. I picked one up second hand for $250. I just need to install the 60 AMP breaker and do some trenching. It's just so hot right now I have zero motivation to be outside working on wiring.

Sounds like maybe relying on 110v isn't a long term solution even if you can make it work. I'll have to get motivated to get that wall charger in soon.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I have the damned charger sitting in my living room. I picked one up second hand for $250. I just need to install the 60 AMP breaker and do some trenching. It's just so hot right now I have zero motivation to be outside working on wiring.

Sounds like maybe relying on 110v isn't a long term solution even if you can make it work. I'll have to get motivated to get that wall charger in soon.

You picked up a second hand Tesla wall charger for $250? Not bad! That's worth considering. Can I ask where you bought it? I was planning on a Nema 14-50 inside the garage just a few feet from the panel so the feedback is we could get an electrician to do it for $250 or so. Just need to buy the adapter for the standard charger included with the car it's good to go. I was thinking about installing a lock box so someone doesn't yank on the cord and kill themselves. I've done some electrical work but not enough where I feel confident messing with the panel itself, plus, well, I'd rather be in the pool. :p

It's a shame, the 110V has been working well for a couple of years, but yeah, with having to wait 4 hours it's better to use a wall charger or Nema. If we knew this we'd have done it from the beginning... to be fair, it might have said it in the owners manual. LOL

It makes me wonder if for the Cybertruck one Nema will be enough. I figure the Model 3 could keep using the 110V and the CT could use the Nema (or wall charger). Some have suggested getting two wall chargers as those will communicate and manage charging the cars at different times which is important if they are on the same circuit. The other factor is that we're in a rental and I don't really want to invest in that many chargers only to have to remove them in the near future.

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think your logic is correct although I will take the rebate.

I do think it's safer to have the rebates. The transition to EVs does seem inevitable now but I'd rather be cautious and continue to offer incentives. I don't really care about the cost, it's tiny compared to the expenditure on other things. The traditional automakers aren't exactly inspiring when it comes to EVs and if the incentives favor Tesla then so be it, it favors them because they are the ones who created the market. I won't shed a tear if it's the nail in the coffin of Ford and GM, perhaps it's time that younger, more nimble companies replaced them.
yea, the car unions would love that.....especially since Tesla is non-union