electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Maybe we end up with a glass dash, possibly even complete with hologram drivers display and touchscreen buttons? That might make it seem more like an "insane technology bandwagon" straight outta Blade Runner.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example 1674512937125
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
My wife was in the same camp. She asked if they made a sunshield that she could keep up while driving. This was before we got the car. Half way home, in the middle of the day, I asked her if she liked the roof glass. She said she forgot it was glass. She likes it and to be honest, most of the time, I forget it's even there. I don't have a lot of protection from the sun for the top of my head if you know what I mean... I never notice any heat from it nor any light intrusion that is noticible. They've done a good job on the Model Y which I hope carries over to the CyberTruck. Though, if it's an option, I'd let them replace my roof with solar...
Me too. I never even notice that the roof is glass. I was worried that living in hot Arkansas that it would get too hot in the car, but the coating does a great job rejecting both heat and light. The glass roof is kind of wasted on the front seat occupants, I never see anything rearward of the sun visor. I enjoy the additional head clearance it provides this 6'3"er, If it were metal with enough insulation and head liner to keep from getting scalding hot I'm sure it'd be rubbing my head constantly.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
wait a second, didnt chat-gpt say something about a curved glass windscreen for the CT

:alien:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
A glass dashboard sounds like a dumb idea from a safety perspective. Rather have the paper dash then, just so long its not faux marble.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
wait a second, didnt chat-gpt say something about a curved glass windscreen for the CT

:alien:
The windscreen has been curved since the last few prototypes. Curved glass is used structurally in all Tesla models.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe the exoskeleton is glass ?

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Supposedly tough to break glass stuff always finds a way to break around me.

Also want ZERO sunlight coming through the roof.

Please gve an otion for a 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel Cybertruck roof.
Coincidentally today I got a chip in my windshield - no traffic around. By the end of the drive it was a 12” crack. I’ve had a glass sunroof explode due to glass chemistry. I have NO desire for a glass roof. I’m delighted Tesla has figured out how to filter out the sun light and heat. If it must be glass, fill it with PV.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Is this old news? To lazy to do some digging but I swear I have seen this patent in the past....
Yes old news, the patent application was mentioned a while ago: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/tesla-shows-angular-glass-patent.3634/

A glass dashboard sounds like a dumb idea from a safety perspective. Rather have the paper dash then, just so long its not faux marble.
Agreed, hopefully like other patents it won't see the light of day.

Heresy! The faux marble paper dash is the coolest thing in the interior.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
My wife was in the same camp. She asked if they made a sunshield that she could keep up while driving. This was before we got the car. Half way home, in the middle of the day, I asked her if she liked the roof glass. She said she forgot it was glass. She likes it and to be honest, most of the time, I forget it's even there. I don't have a lot of protection from the sun for the top of my head if you know what I mean... I never notice any heat from it nor any light intrusion that is noticible. They've done a good job on the Model Y which I hope carries over to the CyberTruck. Though, if it's an option, I'd let them replace my roof with solar...
I would love the solar type that is the transparent flexible type, like an applique.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Coincidentally today I got a chip in my windshield - no traffic around. By the end of the drive it was a 12” crack. I’ve had a glass sunroof explode due to glass chemistry. I have NO desire for a glass roof. I’m delighted Tesla has figured out how to filter out the sun light and heat. If it must be glass, fill it with PV.
Solar panels and solar cells can be mounted on many types of surfaces.

If a glass roof cracks you must replace the entire roof because the structure is weakened and your safety is compromised in crash.

If solar cells are mounted on 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel your safety is not compromised in crash.

3mm cold-rolled stainless steel Cybertruck roof covered with solar cells.
bed vault cover covered with solar cells
frunk lid covered with solar cells

Yes, there is not enough area on Cybertruck for solar to directly power the traction motors which move the Cybertruck but solar might significantly offset the appreciably energy drains from Tesla Sentry mode, cooling/warming interior, and cooling/warming battery pack.
These items slowly drain the battery even when Cybertruck is parked and the cumulative drain can be significant when Cybertyruck is parked for several days or weeks.

When the Cybertruck is parked during the daylight hours, every minute of sunlight could add some energy to the battery for use on the next trip. The longer Cybertruck is parked during daylight the more range available for the next trip.

Solar on Cybertruck could be especially useful for Cybertrucks owners that live in apartment buildings or other living areas that do not have EV L1/L2 chargers in parking lots.

-----------------------

World's first solar car — How does it feel to drive Lightyear 0?
2022 July 25
Lightyear

------

-----------------------

Lightyear-2 Electric driving made easy

daily commutes don’t have to drain your battery or your wallet. Depending on habits and location, you could power your drives entirely with free, clean energy.

800 km of range between charges
* Driving range will vary depending on driving habits, location, and season. 800 km range is based on a 15,000 km annual driving in Amsterdam.

3x less charging than a conventional EV per year
* Charging moments vary depending on driving habits, location, and season.

Lightyear-2 Electric driving made easy
https://lightyear.one/lightyear-2

-----------------------

The Sion - the car that charges itself | Sono Motors
https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example 1674600640032

-----------------------

Aptera Motors - Aptera is the world's first Solar Electric Vehicle that requires no charging for most daily use
https://aptera.us

-----------------------

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Maybe the exoskeleton is glass ?
Technically the structural glass roof and windscreen are the only noteworthy structural elements of the CT "exoskeleton". So you are partially correct. ;)