Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow Telsa-Cybertruck-With-A-Snow-Plow.thumb.jpg.c145e0c40258acddb9998bd812ac326a

I'm super excited about the CyberTruck for MANY reasons... but one of them is just how awesome this truck will be at plowing snow.

For context, I'm "that guy" who now plows snow with my Tesla Model Y with a backward plow in the tow hitch. I have Nokian snow tires coupled with the Tesla traction control has been incredible even in crazy off road conditions. I've also watched a ton of YT videos with people plowing in regular trucks so I'm somewhat familiar with the pain points of regular trucks. I'll be referring to the specs of the Quad Motor CT, but I still think the Dual would make a much better-than-average snow plow truck.

Updated Dec 9, 2023 after Delivery Event

The Good:
1) Insane Torque with Traction Control - The CT will have zero problems pushing the biggest piles of snow imaginable due to 4 motors at each wheel and 1000+ HP.
2) 17" Ground Clearance - Won't get bogged down even in deep snow, unlike my Y with low clearance.
3) 4 Wheel Steering - Will allow for tighter turning radiuses and more control.
5) NO Transmission - This is something that always wears out quickly when snow plowing with a traditional truck.
6) Built-in Back Up Camera with Huge 17" Display - No 3rd party camera with crappy display needed.
7) Vision - No big hood to look over out the front, can better see what you're plowing
8) Tonneau Cover over Bed and Front Frunk - Huge lockable storage areas traditional trucks just don't have as standard.
9) 500+ Mile Battery - ok, 320-340. Will easily last all day. Most snow routes aren't very long, but obviously, you use a lot of energy per mile. Quick 15-30 min charge at V3 or V4 charger and you're good to go again.
10) Stainless Steel Body - No rust!
11) CyberQuad ATV with Plow - This could be the ultimate compliment to tackle the smaller jobs & sidewalks and is easily transported with fold down tailgate.
12) 120/240v Electrical Ports - Can charge up electric snow blower or CyberQuad in truck bed.
13) Quieter Operation - Selling point especially for residential when plowing at night or early AM.
14) NO Emissions - Some clients will appreciate the more environmentally friendly option.
15) Battery Pack Weight - Many plow trucks add weight to the bed to get better traction. No need in a CT, plus less roll-over risk.
16) Safety - Better traction = less accidents, plus safety features like FSD V4 to prevent road accidents, and typical superior Tesla crash safety.
17) Mobile Advertising - No more eye catching design to wrap vehicle with company logos and generate business on the fly.
18) STEER BY WIRE - Should make maneuvering much easier!

The Bad:
1) Charging Infrastructure - There will still be some locations that are not close enough to a SuperCharger to recharge quickly but this only applies to commercial accounts that need to go 24/7 for several days on end. However, they are building out the network faster than ever.
2) How to Mount the Plow? - Especially since the CT will not be built on a typical on-frame design, it's unclear how the attachments will be done. This may mean expensive custom metal fabrication until the plow manufacturers build their own attachment systems but that could be years after first deliveries. Or, worse yet, it simply won't allow a plow without voiding the warranty, but I'm hopeful that isn't the case. How will it mount is the biggest unanswered question at this point.

The Ugly:
1) What are you talking about? No one has ever accused the CT of being ugly. NO ONE!
Sponsored

Last edited:

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Oh wow, Id love to see a picture on your model Y set up with the backward hitch, mount plow, and how that works!
Please post if you have it.

I have a model3 with Nokians as well, and itā€™s amazing in the snow as long as itā€™s not too deep. If thereā€™s more than 6 inches of snow, I use high clearance vehicles.
I am very curious how the cyber truck will do. A good friend of mine has a new model X, and is extremely disappointed with how it does in deep snow, deep meaning 9 inches or more where is other cars will push through but the electronics on the model X have it become useless. Yes he is running high-quality snow tires. Iā€™m praying the cyber truck will have different electronics. My frequent use will be in deep snow often before the plows comeā€¦

OP
OP
Sasmania

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh wow, Id love to see a picture on your model Y set up with the backward hitch, mount plow, and how that works!
Please post if you have it.

I have a model3 with Nokians as well, and itā€™s amazing in the snow as long as itā€™s not too deep. If thereā€™s more than 6 inches of snow, I use high clearance vehicles.
I am very curious how the cyber truck will do. A good friend of mine has a new model X, and is extremely disappointed with how it does in deep snow, deep meaning 9 inches or more where is other cars will push through but the electronics on the model X have it become useless. Yes he is running high-quality snow tires. Iā€™m praying the cyber truck will have different electronics. My frequent use will be in deep snow often before the plows comeā€¦
What do you mean "the electronics have become useless"?

I've had no issues other than just traction and getting bogged down in really deep snow but that's just a function of ground clearance.

Here's a few pics of the Y

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow 21E19C69-BAEB-46D7-B0BF-2A673A2C7352

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow CBC74739-5319-4072-B45E-C1059D2A0D10

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow D37A276F-C6EB-4B64-B90E-825BB4F7329F

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Those pictures are great!Very cool.

What I mean by the electronics making it useless means he cannot even get it down his driveway in deep 9ā€+ snow yet their Subaru cross trek can and I do not think it has much more ground clearance than a model X.

Deleted member 12457

Those pictures are great!Very cool.

What I mean by the electronics making it useless means he cannot even get it down his driveway in deep 9ā€+ snow yet their Subaru cross trek can and I do not think it has much more ground clearance than a model X.
Model Y has clearance of 6.6" while the 2017-2022 Crosstrek has a 8.6-8.7" clearance. That's 2 inches which can be a lot. Clearance also depends on installed tires. The Crosstrek is built on a lifter Impreza, not a very strong vehicle (son has the Impreza Sport which has a ground clearance of about 3-4", exaggerating a bit but it's very low). The Crosstrek goes on top of the snow, especially wet snow, instead of plowing through it like the Model Y would.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One of the 2 two trucks at the gigafactory opening was set up this way. Maybe an optional setup.

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow 917F9D0E-FF8B-405D-AB28-48087D49DE4D

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I assume the bars attach into a trailer hitch type receptacle.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I believe these are the attachmen points.

E3B96CEE-407B-4298-A3E0-90416071AC95.jpeg
It'd be awesome if those were receiver hitch type attachment points. What class receiver would you need to handle a snow plow, given that it could have a two point connection? Two Class I could handle 400 lbs of plow weight and push 4000 lbs of snow. Two Class II: 700 lbs of plow weight and push 7000 lbs of snow. Two Class III 1600 lbs and 16,000 of snow and Class IV: 2000 lbs of plow weight and 20,000 lbs of snow.

I don't live in a snow plow state, so I'd have no idea how much stress snow plows put on a truck.

They would also be great for recovery hook options and even attachment points for dual winches!!!

TruckMater and MattsOffRoadRecovery will be ordering CyberTrucks.

OP
OP
Sasmania

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Most of the V-PLows like this can weigh 800-1200Lbs.

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 1.59.02 PM

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
looks like just the standard front bumper.

Tesla Cybertruck Why CyberTruck will be the BEST Truck for Plowing Snow A055F886-3675-4CC7-B731-5715A5584889

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Model Y has clearance of 6.6" while the 2017-2022 Crosstrek has a 8.6-8.7" clearance. That's 2 inches which can be a lot. Clearance also depends on installed tires. The Crosstrek is built on a lifter Impreza, not a very strong vehicle (son has the Impreza Sport which has a ground clearance of about 3-4", exaggerating a bit but it's very low). The Crosstrek goes on top of the snow, especially wet snow, instead of plowing through it like the Model Y would.
I was referring to the comparison of a Subaru cross treck ground clearance to that of a model X where my friend was unhappy with the deep snow. I think the Subaru is 8.6 inches and the model X depending on setting is somewhere between 7 to 8 inches

OP
OP
Sasmania

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
They would also be great for recovery hook options and even attachment points for dual winches!!!

TruckMater and MattsOffRoadRecovery will be ordering CyberTrucks.
Has MattsOffRoad said that publicly? OMG that will be an awesome testimonial for the CT and will sell thousands of CTs!
Sponsored