Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The HP and torque ratings of the popular Dual Motor version are EXTREMELY impressive according to a Top Speed article;

The mid-range model will be a dual-motor AWD truck. It will deliver at least 300 miles of range, it will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and tow up to 10,000 pounds.

Motor Trend notes that the dual-motor version will be powered by Tesla's new Raven drivetrain, which will pair the rear motor from the Model S Performance and the rear unit from the Model 3 Performance.
Both, of course, re-tuned for the truck. The source estimates total output at around 690 horsepower and 824 pound-feet of torque.“
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
690 horses, damn that is insane. That's scary close to the Challenger Hellcat at 707, and that's an american MUSCLE car. So you mean to tell me this thing is gonna lay you into the back of the seat like a HELLCAT??? Beyond cool, this is a whole new level of badassness.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
690 horses, damn that is insane. That's scary close to the Challenger Hellcat at 707, and that's an american MUSCLE car. So you mean to tell me this thing is gonna lay you into the back of the seat like a HELLCAT??? Beyond cool, this is a whole new level of badassness.
Don't forget that the Hellcat peak numbers are at some RPM where the CT is instantly available.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The mid-range model will be a dual-motor AWD truck. It will deliver at least 300 miles of range, it will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and tow up to 10,000 pounds.
It's pretty simple to figure out torque and horsepower from just the 0 - 60 spec if we assume
1)Acceleration from 0 - 60 is uniform
2)The drive train output is torque limited from 0 - 60
3)The drive train is power limited above 60.
4)The truck weighs 2700 kg (5940 lbs)
5)The wheel radius is 0.6 m (23.6")

60 mph is 26.82 m/s
Acceleration to 26.82 m/s in 4.5 sec is 5.96 m/s^2 (0.61g).
F = m*a = 2700*5.96 = 16092 N of thrust is required
This is equivalent to a torque of 16092*0.6 = 9655.2 N-m equivalent to 7121 ft-lb. (Note that this is at wheel speed of 426.5 rpm. If the gearing is 10:1 that would be 7121 ft-lb at motor speed of 4265 rpm)
P = m*a*v = 2700*5.96*26.82/1000 = 431.6 kW = 578.8 HP
To haul 10,000 pounds up a 10% grade at 60 mph (no acceleration) requires
P = m*g*v/10 = (10000/2.2 + 2700)*9.8*26.8*0.1/1000 = 190.3 kW, only third of what is available.

The numbers for the TriMotor are even more impressive.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
All you have to do is stick 2.9 sec instead of 4.5 and 14000/2.2 instead of 10000/2.2 into the formulas an imagining will turn in to knowing (at the estimate level).

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
So, the Tri-motor should put out about 898.07 Horse Power which is all available at zero RPM basically. Should be a hoot to drive.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
And thats without any consideration of the cheetah/sprinter stance suspension

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So, the Tri-motor should put out about 898.07 Horse Power which is all available at zero RPM basically. Should be a hoot to drive.
The power delivered at velocity v while undergoing acceleration a is P = m*v*a thus at 0 speed the power being consumed is 0. OTOH for uniform acceleration at a the thrust is F = m*a = 2700*26.82/2.9 = 24970 N. That is avaioable from 0 speed up to 60 and is what makes it possible to accelerate so fast off the line without having to pause to shift gears.

Note that a = 0.94g here. That means that if you weigh 200 lbs there will be 188 lbs of force pushing you back into the seat from the line up to 60 mph.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't want to incur the wrath of all you gear heads out there but I see a problem when 500K CTs hit the streets. It is pretty common to see a car hanging out of the 4th floor of a parking garage or through the window of a coffee shop or whatever. How far will a CT travel in the fraction of a second that it takes to move your foot from the "gas" pedal to the brake? Might it not be a good idea to have a button that you have to push to get that incredible acceleration. Maybe the vehicle should default to an economy mode unless you tell it not to. Sports car acceleration in a 2 ton 4 wheel drive monster is a whole new ball game and a lot of the people with the means to buy a CT don't have the reflexes to handle one. (at 76 when my truck arrives, that probably includes me)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I don't want to incur the wrath of all you gear heads out there but I see a problem when 500K CTs hit the streets. It is pretty common to see a car hanging out of the 4th floor of a parking garage or through the window of a coffee shop or whatever. How far will a CT travel in the fraction of a second that it takes to move your foot from the "gas" pedal to the brake? Might it not be a good idea to have a button that you have to push to get that incredible acceleration. Maybe the vehicle should default to an economy mode unless you tell it not to. Sports car acceleration in a 2 ton 4 wheel drive monster is a whole new ball game and a lot of the people with the means to buy a CT don't have the reflexes to handle one. (at 76 when my truck arrives, that probably includes me)
another interesting note about that, its MUCH easier to horrible hurt or kill some1 in a taller vehicle. we had a couple deaths in our city from those lifted, huge ugly diesels. when they hit a normal car, they dont hit any energy absorbing structure.

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
And just think the 470 hp model 3 performance can stand side by side with a Hellcat, no wheel spin, amazing software and instant torque... think of what double that power will do...

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
It won't allow you to do that. If it detects a barrier in front of the vehicle won't matter if you stomp it, it won't move and you'll get an alarm sound in car. Some fun examples of model 3s where they put a cardboard box in front of car and try to stomp it. Car barely budges.
Sponsored