Dual Motor reservation holders, still a buyer at $79,900?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
For “Dual Motor” reservation holders only.

We are just over a month away from the official pricing announcement for the Cybertruck trim levels.

If a standard battery pack Dual Motor Cybertruck MSRP’s for $79,900 are you still following through with your purchase?

Tesla Cybertruck Dual Motor reservation holders, still a buyer at $79,900? ECEF4947-1C4A-4241-A74D-AD931A45E1DE
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dazajj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350
Occupation
Regional Account Director
Country flag
Damn, great question. I would need to see what that monthly payment looks like when it’s all said and done. But also get a better idea of what FSD will be like with the CT.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No, not at the announcement specs for the Dual Motor model. That is a 60% increase that puts it at the same price as the Model X, a vehicle that only sells 30k units per year. While I expect a price increase, that is a bit too much of one. It wont be affordable for most of the market, especially in the current interest rate environment, and I don't think it is a price that can support several hundred thousand sales per year once ramp is reached.

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I will be holding on to my R1t for that price for sure, assuming its around350mile range, which would not be an upgrade for my large pack quad. By that time I will have my R1t half paid for..

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Keep in mind that a Rivian R1T Quad Motor with a large battery pack starts around $90k. A Lightning Lariat DM with an extended range battery pack MSRP’s for $79,490 after a recent price drop.
Lariat ER I believe is the right specification comp to a base CyberTruck.

And so the Lightning ER is the trim most relevant to Musk’s comments that it’s a good truck, but a bit too expensive.

So what’s ‘a bit’?

Personally, for every spec or model variant that Tesla *can’t* offer on Nov. 30, I hope it means that - in order to not have the company image and stock price pummeled - it puts downward pressure on the MSRP of what they *can* offer.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Keep in mind that a Rivian R1T Quad Motor and large battery pack starts around $90k and a Lightning Lariat with large battery packs sells for $79,490 with a recent price drop.
Keep in mind that the Cybertruck is not intended to be a low-production product like the Lightning or R1T, but instead a more mass market offering with a goal of several hundred thousand units per year once it ramps all the way up. It needs to be priced to sell units at the appropriate volume. If they go too high on the price, especially on their mid-tier trim, they will have a demand problem and wont be able to sell the necessary volumes to turn a profit on the program. At first they would of course sell each one made, but it would cause a lot of pissed off people and in nine months once volume production is really beginning to get into gear they would either have to drop prices (and piss off the early adopters) or have a demand problem.

I do think there will be a price increase, but I think it will be more reasonable then you suggest and not a +60% increase on the mid-range trim. I can maybe see it being 69k. That with the federal rebate makes it much more do-able for people, even though that is still a 20k increase over the initial price.

I would not be shocked with them releasing the tri-motor performance (not a 500 mile version) at a high price with a sub 3 second speed to goose some extra margin at first, but that would be a low volume trim.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
A lot of Cybertruck dreams may just go up in smoke if $79,900 is the base price of a Dual Motor Cybertruck.

Add to that a good possibility of a high insurance premium to boot.
Over 50% (probably 80-90%, IMO) of sales go away and the truck itself is DOA.

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
watch Tesla drop the price of the Cybertruck in 2025 by huge margin as production ramps up. they will then introduce new SKUs such as the quad motor to drive back up the price for the premium models.

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
Lariat ER I believe is the right specification comp to a base CyberTruck.

And so the Lightning ER is the trim most relevant to Musk’s comments that it’s a good truck, but a bit too expensive.

So what’s ‘a bit’?

Personally, for every spec or model variant that Tesla *can’t* offer on Nov. 30, I hope it means that - in order to not have the company image and stock price pummeled - it puts downward pressure on the MSRP of what they *can* offer.
I think this combined with the rebate cap (even though a significant number of buyers don't qualify for it) at $80K means we at least get something below this mark.

I personally expect, or at least would not be surprised to see prices starting at $69K . . . Possibly $69,420 "for the memes". Will also depend on what/if other manufacturers do anything (price wise) leading up to the launch, though I anticipate that they will be more reactionary if anything.

Last edited:

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
I'm in agreement with many on this one. This vehicle needs to be priced right to get any chance at volume sales and the radical design will put off prospective buyers if this is launched at a higher end price. Many - including myself - will go for a proven, regular looking truck like the Rivian instead, at 410 miles of range (which sounds like it will be higher than the CT). Yes, it is high priced, but also designed to be lower volume and better looks plus range for now.

Tesla is in a pickle with this vehicle re: radical design vs. volume vs. margin. One contributing factor re: why I recently dumped my TSLA stock.
Sponsored