Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Question session:

Directly CT Relevant:

• Q: will Tesla do an RV first or Cyber-camper? "we dont have any plans to build an RV quite yet, but I can certainly see how CT could be used as an RV essentially"

• Q: once CT is fully ramped in Austin what is the target production "we'll start production and handing over cars later this year, there will be an S-curve of production, and I guess we'll see what the demand is, we're likely to do a quarter million a year, maybe more, very much dependent on what the demand is like. We don't just need to ramp up production but improve production cost efficiency which is a very hard thing. We'll make as much as people want, but like I said it's going to be hard to make the cost affordable. In the grand scheme of things it will be small, but still very cool"

Was really hoping someone would ask about the mudding :ROFLMAO:

Other:
  • Q: would you ever consider stretching term of auto loans out to 10 years "the important thing to appreciate is that the vast majority of the financing is from banks, so it's kind of like whatever the banks are prepared to do"

• Q: why not advertise all these things you've discussed here? "i talk to a lot of people who think the Tesla is expensive, and actually its below the average auto price in the US; and it's ironic as Twitter is highly dependent on advertising ... I guess I should say 'advertising is awesome and everyone should do it.' So I think what you're saying does have some merit, and you know what, we'll try a little advertising and see how it goes. OK?"

• Q: you recently added stream to the car ... is this making available aps for the cars? "I think the notion of having entertainment aps become extremely important as the cars achieve self-driving; at the point at which it's full self-driving... I think that is something that might make sense in the future, but overwhelmingly the focus is on achieving full self-driving and making it safter than human driving."

• Q: as you transition to FSD 2.0 what are the potential stumbling blocks after that? "when you really think about FSD as a march of 9s of reliability, we need to get to the point where the probability of injury is lower than that of an average human driver, so even when it gets there is still a lot of work to do... that morally has to be our primary goal"

• Q: lithium experts all agree mines aren't coming on fast enough to meet supply... what's Tesla's plan to get more supply at the mine level? "I actually think the industry analysis is incorrect, and the constraint is fundamentally that of processing... my opinion is that it's not about the lithium, but taking the ore and refining to battery grade is extremely difficult because you need ultra-pure lithium and that's why our focus is on refining as opposed to mining"

• Q: are there any updates on the next-gen roadster? "fair and reasonable question - where is that thing? So, we expect to complete the engineering and design this year, and hopefully start production next year, but it is the cherry on the icing on the cake so I wouldn't expect it to be a huge contribution to revenue, but it'll be siiiiiiick ... it'll have the SpaceX option package"

• Q: we all want Tesla insurance (in Florida) "Zack says it's coming later this year."

• Q: is CyberGus real or imagined? "Who?"

• Q: automotive including SaS (software as a service) and energy peak margin, what number, and by when "At the point at which you have a truly autonomous vehicle, the utility is roughly 5X what it is today, but the car costs the same ... we're in highly speculative territory but if you have a car that costs the same but has a 20-25% margin then you might have 80% margins and the revenue would increase several fold, probably the biggest asset value step-change in the history of earth, while I'd expect energy to remain at 20-25% margin"

• Q: when we're thinking about 4680 cells should we be thinking about efficiency today or could we see something to look to in the future "it's important to express the difficulty to go producing the most efficient battery on earth is not a trivial exercise, that said we see a path to higher energy density and lower cost than any other cell out there"

• Q: and also will you stay on as CEO "so, I think Tesla is going to play an important role in AI and AGI and I think I need to oversee that to make sure it's good because that's a thorny problem if there ever was one"

• Q: does Optimus have a ticket to Mars "Optimus isn't a deep thinker yet."

• Q: for the navigation, do you think you could add in a picture of the exit like other systems do "there are definitely things we can improve there, but really down the road navigation visuals are not going to matter that much because the cars will do it for you"

• Q: aptera, do you think that's a space Tesla could get into "I'm not super familiar with them. it's never a shortage of ideas, it's the execution that's extremely difficult. product ideas are irrelevant."

• Q: as a Model X plaid owner, can we get track mode "yeah we can add that, sure, no problem"

• Q: earlier you cut prices, more recently you raised, can you talk about strategy of pricing going forward "it's pretty straightforward, we see what the demand is and we adjust pricing to meet demand; the reality is at car dealers prices are changing radically and the manufacturers then offer incentives, whereas with Tesla it's obvious; this is necessary because something has to be done to achieve a supply-demand clearing point for buying, Tesla is no exception, that's the reality"

• Q: given how incredible FSD is, would it be possible to have some sort of public facing timeline "I can't say enough about the profundity of FSD, it will be one of the biggest changes in human history, it's not merely a feature - it will be as profound as electrification. The thing that's been really difficult with FSD, is that it's very often seems like it's about to happen until you realize you're at a local maximum and you need to rearchitect to get higher. So it's not a straight line, it's actually logarithmic. I think we're finally at a high enough local maximum this year where it will be I think, probably, safer than an average human. But I guess we'll see."

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Yes, I'm seeing twitter feeds from folks like MDR, who spent the last week complaining about no invitation, now posting videos from inside the event.
He's just ripping off other people's posts and not giving credit. I re-blocked him as he had nothing of value to contribute.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
He's just ripping off other people's posts and not giving credit.
:oops:

EDIT TO ADD: You're right, he's confirmed on his twit-feed that he didn't get in

Looks like he's just reposting Joe's photos, without credit

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
My big take away about CT...Elon was beating around the bush and did reiterate the first units are prob not going to be affordable and getting them affordable will be hard.

"... Hard to make the cost affordable.."

My take is that he will try to push the price to $80k to make it the most affordable with the tax credit. But he doesn't seem confident he would do that anytime soon. We will see!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
We don't just need to ramp up production but improve production cost efficiency which is a very hard thing. We'll make as much as people want, but like I said it's going to be hard to make the cost affordable.
Q: when we're thinking about 4680 cells should we be thinking about efficiency today or could we see something to look to in the future "it's important to express the difficulty to go producing the most efficient battery on earth is not a trivial exercise, that said we see a path to higher energy density and lower cost than any other cell out there"

Not making me feel warm and fuzzy. I will keep my excitement in check until we have some hard facts.

jd1

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
For some reason I thought they were doing a final production model unveil, showing off all the features and releasing final pricing.

Clearly I have the event windows wrong… anyone know when the final w/ pricing is being held? Perhaps next stockholder’s meeting, coinciding with the handing over of a few trucks to vips/local buyers etc?

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
For some reason I thought they were doing a final production model unveil, showing off all the features and releasing final pricing.

Clearly I have the event windows wrong… anyone know when the final w/ pricing is being held? Perhaps next stockholder’s meeting, coinciding with the handing over of a few trucks to vips/local buyers etc?
Final w/ pricing and specs release will most likely be at the Cybertruck Delivery Event. We don't know exactly when that will be, but many of us predict in September (probably the end of the month).

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Does it really have to have the rearview mirror? Even driving with the vault open, you can’t see an M3 behind you.

1684266982948.png
It doesn't have to have one at all. However, since it's a monitor connected to a rearview camera, it'll be handy to have.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
I think I heard Elon say that the Cybertruck will have a high cost to build and he questioned the demand as the determinate of how many CT's they will build. With 1.5M reservations mostly based upon the 2019 projected purchase prices he seems to be saying it will be more expensive and that many/most of those reservations will evaporate based upon the actual sale price. I was hoping the CT wasn't going to be like the Model S or X but I'm afraid it is looking that way.

They must be having issues with the "Exoskeleton" and or battery cost. For me, it will be how much more and what is the value proposition rather than I just have to have one. In any case, Elons comments concerned me ...

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I think I heard Elon say that the Cybertruck will have a high cost to build and he questioned the demand as the determinate of how many CT's they will build. With 1.5M reservations mostly based upon the 2019 projected purchase prices he seems to be saying it will be more expensive and that many/most of those reservations will evaporate based upon the actual sale price. I was hoping the CT wasn't going to be like the Model S or X but I'm afraid it is looking that way.

They must be having issues with the "Exoskeleton" and or battery cost. For me, it will be how much more and what is the value proposition rather than I just have to have one. In any case, Elons comments concerned me ...
I think the high cost will mainly be the features promised. It's all expensive features on any vehicle:

- Super strong power tonneau cover
- automatic ride high adjustment
- stainless steel exterior
- armored glass
- AWD
- Power Frunk
- Built in compressor
- Autopilot HW4
- 4 Wheel steering
- 17" touch screen
- 48v development
- 800v - 1000v battery system

Regardless how much you " save on paint " all these features are top tier, that all cost a lot of money to build. No vehicle is under 80k with even half of these features.

I can guarantee you the stainless steel cost more than painting a car.
Sponsored