RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
For similar reasons the length of the dash is dictated by the exterior shape. It's been a small shock to me to realise there are many reservation holders who apparently expected a much shorter dash, and are angry about the driver/screen distance.

Would they be willing to drive with their heads wedged against the windscreen?

How is failing to understand something this fundamental even...possible?
I guess they expected every Cybertruck to ship with a free guillotine? :unsure:
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Actually the safety features in regards to pedestrian warnings and cars and so forth is surprisingly poor. The A pillars in even a regular Tesla are placed problematically and close calls are regrettably common. How bad the CT is, I don’t know, until we get a chance to sit in it.
Not singing praise of that triangle in the front. But visibility in comparable trucks is much worse.

The cliff face front popular on many models of truck makes many pedestrians, motorcycles, and even small cars completely invisible.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I think a real truck should have rubber floors out the gate. I dont get why they wouldnt go rubber and why so truck makers keep going carpet. I know it has something to do with sound insulation and it makes it feel more like a utility vehicle.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Not singing praise of that triangle in the front. But visibility in comparable trucks is much worse.

The cliff face front popular on many models of truck makes many pedestrians, motorcycles, and even small cars completely invisible.
show your work on how the CT will be any different, to any material degree that is obvious or noteworthy

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
100% the CT will have a lower cost version. I have no doubt on that. It's essential.
Absolutely! However, the lowest cost model probably won't be manufactured during the initial production ramp. Those versions will come after they have sold through the backlog for higher end drivetrains. It wouldn't surprise me if the longest range versions are also introduced at that time. Initial versions will probably be 300+ mile range with 4x4 and maybe even 4 motors.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Absolutely! However, the lowest cost model probably won't be manufactured during the initial production ramp. Those versions will come after they have sold through the backlog for higher end drivetrains. It wouldn't surprise me if the longest range versions are also introduced at that time. Initial versions will probably be 300+ mile range with 4x4 and maybe even 4 motors.
makes for completely confusing conversation when people don't make the distinction between "what will Tesla sell, for how much, in 2024" vs "what will Tesla sell eventually"

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Forget about a Vault cover solar panel, we need one on the B.A.Dash.
i was just thinking that. if they would do a custom glass dash with solar cells in it as an EV trickle charger that would be brilliant. I bet aftermarket vendors will off this. Otherwise it really is an incredible waste of space.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Actually the safety features in regards to pedestrian warnings and cars and so forth is surprisingly poor. The A pillars in even a regular Tesla are placed problematically and close calls are regrettably common. How bad the CT is, I don’t know, until we get a chance to sit in it.
The A-pillars on, for example, the Model 3, are not a safety issue except for poor drivers. Good drivers know when they have to move their head a few inches to get a complete view. But, yeah, there will always be bad drivers.

Ironically, bad drivers are why modern pillars are larger than those on cars made in the 1960's, to protect the occupants better when someone screws up and slides into something or causes a roll-over accident. It's a huge safety feature in terms of statisical injuries/deaths with/without them. Cars used to be death traps, now they are much safer places to be when the sh!t hits the fan.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The massive dash has been apparent since the first real view after the reveal day. But what is still unknown and which I am really curious about every time I see that incredibly massive dashboard... how far under that dashboard does the frunk go?! I hope it goes all the way! That would equate to an absolutely massive frunk. TWSS!
Most scientist (cybertruckownersclub members) agree that it will narrow and deep.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
i was just thinking that. if they would do a custom glass dash with solar cells in it as an EV trickle charger that would be brilliant. I bet aftermarket vendors will off this. Otherwise it really is an incredible waste of space.
You'd get like 1 mile per day (and that may be high), only while parked, for whatever the cost and obtrusiveness of having a solar sheet reflecting off your front window.

Edit: I understand this is likely a joke.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The A-pillars on, for example, the Model 3, are not a safety issue except for poor drivers. Good drivers know when they have to move their head a few inches to get a complete view. But, yeah, there will always be bad drivers.

Ironically, bad drivers are why modern pillars are larger than those on cars made in the 1960's, to protect the occupants better when someone screws up and slides into something or causes a roll-over accident. It's a huge safety feature in terms of statisical injuries/deaths with/without them. Cars used to be death traps, now they are much safer places to be when the sh!t hits the fan.
What? you think they said, oh there are bad drivers out there so we need to make the car safer. They call it an accident for a reason. I guess no one is as perfect a driver as you.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You'd get like 1 mile per day (and that may be high), only while parked, for whatever the cost and obtrusiveness of having a solar sheet reflecting off your front window.
it wouldnt need to be reflective. there are all sorts of glass options that can avoid reflection. And its not about getting more mileage. In my opinion it would be more about powering basic climate controls, battery level maintenance and battery conditioning. So if you leave your vehicle for a few days or leave it in extreme weather you can allow it to regulate its temperature without a concern of loosing mileage.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
it wouldnt need to be reflective. there are all sorts of glass options that can avoid reflection. And its not about getting more mileage. In my opinion it would be more about powering basic climate controls, battery level maintenance and battery conditioning. So if you leave your vehicle for a few days or leave it in extreme weather you can allow it to regulate its temperature without a concern of loosing mileage.
How would you plug it in? you'd have to crack the window to run the cable out of it. Non-reflective solar is typically far more expensive and what sort of extreme weather are we talking about that has a copious amount of direct sunlight?

It's funny how large the dash is, but putting solar panels on it is probably not feasible.

There's one that I've seen for any Tesla and it covers the front window, roof, and back window and nets between 8-14 miles per day. You're talking about 1/4 of that space.

Seems like a waste of money.
Sponsored