Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
it seems you mean to say "any driver benefits that I agree with"

I'm not qualified to give that answer.

Nor am I saying I know Tesla's answer to the less prickly question of "does Tesla see benefits to removing stalks"

I only gave just two examples, which don't seem to resonate with you, but does seem to plausibly resonate with Tesla:

1. aesthetic minimalism, wherever achievable (even at some functional expense)​
2. preparing the world's expectations of vehicles for a future where the need of such controls is negated by technology (and right or wrong, they could be more bullish than you on timing)​

none of which was to ignore or disagree with the obvious #3 on this list, which is both of the above overlap with and synergize with minimizing manufacturing complexity / parts (ie cost savings)

I wasn't disagreeing that #3 was on the list, only suggesting that Tesla could have some other items on the list (whether you agree with their list or not)

though i did mention that when it comes to "drive direction stalks" i have some empathy for Tesla's apparent position here: people should only be indicating direction before they turn the steering wheel (only counter example I can think of is when stopped at a stop sign, and a last minute decision is made to turn the opposite direction than initially intended)
Your second point is not a driver benefit. Aesthetic minimalism is borderline. Are there drivers bothered by two stalks so much that they want them removed, despite the lowered functionality? I definitely am not (and aesthetic appeal is important for me), but I’m willing to accept if someone feels that way.

I’d argue it’s a small minority though. So you are still making the experience worse for almost everyone.
Sponsored

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
oops didn't mean to post that part so i took it out.

I was hoping for a heads-up display that can be turned on or off/flipped up or down. You’ve got tons of space on that dash for it. At least allow the center screen to pivot or rotate based on your seating position.
Just like for the model Y LOTS of options will be available after market.. you can tell from the posts in here some people think a hud is essential and others think not.. so why would they include it?? if you want one buy one.. but lets not force it on everyone.

If you don't think they will be that easy.. do an amazon search for HUD model Y or hud tesla and you will get LOTS of options.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Yep, lots of options for third-party customization. Same with the vault, but Tesla has their own accessories team for that.

Last edited:

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
I don’t mind the woke (wheel + yoke). Glad the horn appears to be back in the center. I’m left handed and prefer to beep the horn with my dominate hand, not search for a button on a moving target with my non-dominant hand. Don’t ”fix” what isn’t broken.

Glad they’re letting the scroll wheels be customized as well. Maybe paddle shifters for turn signals would be better than buttons that rotate with the wheel?

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
Before their autonomous driving actually works with zero input, I call cost cutting. And we are a very long way from that.

Besides, it’s not even something I personally particularly want. I enjoy driving. So things that take pleasure away from driving are a nuisance.

is there any driver benefit to removing stalks? Particularly drive direction stalks?

Very similar arguments were given about the yoke. But the fanboys would go on about autonomous driving, not understanding innovation. Yet nobody could give a clear benefit (for a Model 3 or Cybertruck — there is a small benefit if you have an instrument cluster). Yet here we are, backtracking on the yoke. So are people willing to admit they were wrong on that one?

I mean people said the same about the lack of Model 3 wiper controls. AI this, AI that. Yet, years later, the wipers are still crap. Worse still, they can be actually dangerous.
It's all a matter of opinion.

I still like my Yoke better and have the option to change it, but never will. If I don't get a CT, will get a yoke in my next Tesla, but it's fine if those don't like it.

I dislike getting my MY after driving my MS every day.

The directional stalks are the most pointless ones. Why are they important? The car chooses forward and reverse automatically and if you want to manually do it, you can either swipe the screen or push a button (there's one for P, R, N, D). How is that different than the wheel some cars use, buttons in Hyundais, or a shifter?

The stalkless aspect is the best benefit of the yoke, IMO.

One that I would understand qualms with are the turn signals. They do take time to get used to and aren't static. They auto turn-off and they are easy to get used to, but I understand the gripe with that...not the gear shifter.

I do hate the horn button and 30k miles later, I still hate it. I'm glad they are ditching that.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
It's all a matter of opinion.

I still like my Yoke better and have the option to change it, but never will. If I don't get a CT, will get a yoke in my next Tesla, but it's fine if those don't like it.

I dislike getting my MY after driving my MS every day.

The directional stalks are the most pointless ones. Why are they important? The car chooses forward and reverse automatically and if you want to manually do it, you can either swipe the screen or push a button (there's one for P, R, N, D). How is that different than the wheel some cars use, buttons in Hyundais, or a shifter?

The stalkless aspect is the best benefit of the yoke, IMO.

One that I would understand qualms with are the turn signals. They do take time to get used to and aren't static. They auto turn-off and they are easy to get used to, but I understand the gripe with that...not the gear shifter.

I do hate the horn button and 30k miles later, I still hate it. I'm glad they are ditching that.
There doesn’t seem to be any obvious place for PRND buttons in these Cybertruck images. When towing especially you won’t want to be constantly looking at the screen to see which mode you’re in, or fiddling with a touch screen.

The gear switcher doesn’t have to be a stalk, but if it’s not some kind of easily reachable physical control, it sounds like a painful equation for zero benefit.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Your second point is not a driver benefit. Aesthetic minimalism is borderline. Are there drivers bothered by two stalks so much that they want them removed, despite the lowered functionality? I definitely am not (and aesthetic appeal is important for me), but I’m willing to accept if someone feels that way.

I’d argue it’s a small minority though. So you are still making the experience worse for almost everyone.
“Worst for almost everyone” seems a bit presumptuous, no? That’s speaking for a lot of people. Not many people have had experienced with the stalkless (only model x/s).. granted it’s a hot topic in that group but until the masses can truly try and weigh in, broad strokes doesn’t seem like the correct thinking. Tesla engineers from a “best part/process is no part/process” so it’s not shocking they are pushing that way. Adapt and enjoy!

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There doesn’t seem to be any obvious place for PRND buttons in these Cybertruck images. When towing especially you won’t want to be constantly looking at the screen to see which mode you’re in, or fiddling with a touch screen.

The gear switcher doesn’t have to be a stalk, but if it’s not some kind of easily reachable physical control, it sounds like a painful equation for zero benefit.
It's obvious when you are in reverse compared to drive if youve ever been in a Tesla and the screen swipe is just as easy/hard as stalks, but you can also make it play a sound when you switch.

There's 0 learning curve for driving eithout stalks and it's never been an issue in any situation.

That was the easiest adjustment of stalkless/yoke driving, by far.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And 100% there will be PRND buttons, it's required with the screen swipe. Elon said it on a podcast.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
It's obvious when you are in reverse compared to drive if youve ever been in a Tesla and the screen swipe is just as easy/hard as stalks, but you can also make it play a sound when you switch.

There's 0 learning curve for driving eithout stalks and it's never been an issue in any situation.

That was the easiest adjustment of stalkless/yoke driving, by far.
I drove a Tesla for over two years. Er no it’s not at all obvious. I mean it is to me since I’m controlling it, but there’s nothing to particularly signal it. When manoeuvring in tight spots and particularly with a trailer, a physical control is extremely useful to have.

So why exactly would not having it be an improvement?

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove a Tesla for over two years. Er no it’s not at all obvious. I mean it is to me since I’m controlling it, but there’s nothing to particularly signal it. When manoeuvring in tight spots and particularly with a trailer, a physical control is extremely useful to have.

So why exactly would not having it be an improvement?
Must have been years ago. The car plays spaceship sounds in reverse. Also the backup camera shows up.

It's easier eith the auto reverse/forward. I press the brake and it's in the proper hear 99% of the time and I go.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In case it’s not obvious, I’m talking about physical buttons.
Ok. So you have a very specific request that no Tesla will likely deliver in the future. I have some as well as debated in another thread. But saying not having stalks is worse for most, is a poor generalization. Tesla took feedback from the S/X and made the new 3 stalkless, but made the yoke an option.

It's a quality of life improvement akin to phone as a key, IMO. And there are some out there that are adamant it's a worse option. They want fobs or keys and that's fine. We all have desires or demands from what we are going to pay for.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Ok. So you have a very specific request that no Tesla will likely deliver in the future. I have some as well as debated in another thread. But saying not having stalks is worse for most, is a poor generalization. Tesla took feedback from the S/X and made the new 3 stalkless, but made the yoke an option.

It's a quality of life improvement akin to phone as a key, IMO. And there are some out there that are adamant it's a worse option. They want fobs or keys and that's fine. We all have desires or demands from what we are going to pay for.
Thanks! Right on. Good comment
Sponsored