uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
since we're gabbing, I'll mention that you and I actually have closely related interests/concerns RE the seat space

While I only have 3 kids, they're all under the age of 5, the newest being 3 months old.

So I have YEARS of full-sized car seats ahead of me.

If the CT cant fit 3 full-sized carseats across the back row, it'll be a problem

... giving my wife the Lightning that can fit 3 full-sized car seats in the back row :ROFLMAO:
The F150 interior is really massive. I love how big the leg room was in the back. I do miss my massaging seats :(.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think most people interested in a 6th seat are probably not thinking 6 adults and would be completely happy with a fold up console. I cant recall the last time i drove with 6 adults but i very frequently drive with 6 kids. even a family of 4 with a relative of kids friends could easily hit 6 seats. There are not a lot of 6+ seat vehicles out there in the EV world right now. And the CT is checking a lot of boxes for me. I work for one of the worlds largest contractors. I have a family of 6 and I do a crazy amount of DIY stuff. I currently have 3 vehicles and the CT with 6 seats would allow me to consolidate all of them to one vehicle.
There are occasions where your goal is to cram as many bodies into the truck as possible.

I’ve gotten 8 people and 7 bikes on my Tundra. That was 7 people in the cab, 1 in the bed, along with 3 bikes in the bed and 4 on a rack. Saved us about an hour going up the mountain a second time to get the other vehicle.

It’s not often, even for me, but having that option for a couple times a year would be super nice.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I understand there are some very seasoned truck guys/gals on here, and there are concerns about visibility and stalks, and whatnot, which I get, but writing off the truck seems a bit knee jerk. I drive huge fire engines and fire trucks in a major metro for a living and I am not concerned about CT visibility and safety. I think that is overblown and shows a lack of of adaptability (which I think most of you long time truck owners actually have) but like most firefighters, they hate/are skeptical of change until it proves to be valid and much better… I think this truck will be the best on the market for a huge amount of people, but there are some that need a type of truck that CT just isn’t, and that’s ok
Also, pretty comical hearing people acting like this is a new issue when it’s been a part of the design from the first day.

ZombiePhysicist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Zombie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on reserve
Occupation
Zombie
Country flag
The amount of people surprised that the dash is long or that the interior design is minimalist, and they wanted a GMC styled interior instead, crack me up. It's not some kind of newfound revelation, this has been the case from day one.
I get what youre getting at, but it's still a shock to see in it's implementation.

Look, the truck exterior is polarizing. Some people really hate it. I particularly really love it. But I didn't really contemplate what the interior would be like. Frankly, I thought the driver would be pushed way closer to the rake of the windshield, but the driver is really far back. And I thought as a consequence the dash would be way closer in. I clearly imagined that wrong and perhaps what I imagined was never realistic to begin with.

But having seen this, it, on first blush, looks bad. And I do not just mean from an aesthetic standpoint, but from usability stand point. First, it's really wasted space, because anything you put there will likely crate huge distracting reflections. One could argue a long hood is also wasted space, which is fair enough, but with a regular hood, your A pillars are far back where they do not interfere with visibility as much. These A pillars seem to really be blocking a lot of visibility in the name of this aesthetic.

Further, the materials are garbage. That center console plastic looks like poop. It's like they pulled it out of a junk yard of an old broken GM truck from the 90s. There is no design flair to it at all. And I do love a minimalist aesthetic, but that doesnt mean the design materials get to be junk. A shed is also minimalist, but doesnt mean it's a fantastic architectural design liek some ultra modern high end minimalist sky scraper or home.

My prayer is this is just an early prototype and they are still refining and finalizing the interior to address all of these issues.

Someone else pointed this out, with such a long screen, it is a natural to perhaps use a HUD perhaps to somehow make some of that long windshield more useful, even though I'm not sure how. If you put graphics towards the bottom, youre killing off visibility near the front end of the truck which would hurt visibility even more.

Overall this interior shot took me from being super jazzed to having to reset my mind that I would have to be OK with a VERY compromised interior because I really like the wacko hyper SCIFI exterior so much, which in the end, may be the deal I need to make with myself. Just deal with it. But it still feels like a big let down, unfortunately.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think most people interested in a 6th seat are probably not thinking 6 adults and would be completely happy with a fold up console. I cant recall the last time i drove with 6 adults but i very frequently drive with 6 kids. even a family of 4 with a relative of kids friends could easily hit 6 seats. There are not a lot of 6+ seat vehicles out there in the EV world right now. And the CT is checking a lot of boxes for me. I work for one of the worlds largest contractors. I have a family of 6 and I do a crazy amount of DIY stuff. I currently have 3 vehicles and the CT with 6 seats would allow me to consolidate all of them to one vehicle.
For 6 person mix of adults, children plus gear (camping or athletic equipment)/luggage (in bed & frunk), sometimes with trailer, 2019 original reveal 6-seater Cybertruck looked like only EV option and even years later (2023) 6-seater Cybertruck was my only near term hope (I have Cybertruck reservations, hoping for 2025 delivery :)

2.9 sec or whatever acceleration time was always pointless. I need to get everybody in.
Two vehicles is not an option not only because of cost or matter of convenience but because usually there is only one physically capable & licensed driver, ME.

Need seating for 6 for a mix of adults and children like:
2 parents, 1 grandparent, 3 children.
2 parents, 2 grandparents, 2 children.
2 parents, 3 grandparents, 1 child.
1 parent, 5 children (some of the children might be friends/cousins of parent's children).
.... there are many more combinations

There not being an air bag for middle front seat might make it better for use by some children passengers.

----------------------------

What age should children sit in a seat with an airbag?

While airbags are meant to protect adults from harm in a car crash, they can't protect children sitting in the front seat. The newest type of "advanced" air bags further reduces the risk of an airbag-related injury or death for adults.

As a result, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all children under age 13 buckle up in the back seat for safety.
23 jul 2018

What is a good reason for disabling a car's airbags?
On the passenger side, an airbag can be disabled if transporting an infant or child and the back seat isn't an option (usually because there is no back seat, like in a pickup or two-seater sports car).
9 sept 2020

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What? you think they said, oh there are bad drivers out there so we need to make the car safer. They call it an accident for a reason. I guess no one is as perfect a driver as you.
Yes, basically the drive to increase auto safety was driven by the injury/death rate and that is driven in turn by the amount of poor drivers. I don't really believe in auto "accidents", they are more like "mistakes". And, yes, everyone makes mistakes but some people are particularly good at it. That's what makes them poor drivers and why it's important that a chassis can withstand common accidents without serious injury to the occupants.

It ain't rocket science!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
So you guys both out on buying? Just curious, because I want to move up in line haha. I know it’s disappointing and not what you were hoping
No read my post again. I'm GLAD the Cybertruck doesn't hide an instrument binnacle behind the steering wheel out of automotive habit!

But, yeah, the more people that don't like the interior, the sooner we get ours!

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
No read my post again. I'm GLAD the Cybertruck doesn't hide an instrument binnacle behind the steering wheel out of automotive habit!

But, yeah, the more people that don't like the interior, the sooner we get ours!
Sorry you’re right! My bad [facepalm]. Call that miss sleep deprivation.

yes no skin off my back if some are done with the CT before the unveil. I just hope they ask for their $100 back
Cheers!

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
that’s not fair

if we’re talking only about turn signals, the reality is there are extremely few instances where anyone driving properly should have *begin* indicating *after* turning

but more broadly, the lack of controls is completely consistent with Tesla’s vision of autonomous driving tech

cost cutting may be *an* benefit, but doesn’t seem fair to say there are no other rationales
Before their autonomous driving actually works with zero input, I call cost cutting. And we are a very long way from that.

Besides, it’s not even something I personally particularly want. I enjoy driving. So things that take pleasure away from driving are a nuisance.

is there any driver benefit to removing stalks? Particularly drive direction stalks?

Very similar arguments were given about the yoke. But the fanboys would go on about autonomous driving, not understanding innovation. Yet nobody could give a clear benefit (for a Model 3 or Cybertruck — there is a small benefit if you have an instrument cluster). Yet here we are, backtracking on the yoke. So are people willing to admit they were wrong on that one?

I mean people said the same about the lack of Model 3 wiper controls. AI this, AI that. Yet, years later, the wipers are still crap. Worse still, they can be actually dangerous.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
The fact that they left it so open and rugged in front of the center console gives me hope for a 6th seat.
I agree, from the pictures that area looks way too big to be a phone charger area. Of course photos can skew things so difficult to tell.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
is there any driver benefit to removing stalks? Particularly drive direction stalks?
it seems you mean to say "any driver benefits that I agree with"

I'm not qualified to give that answer.

Nor am I saying I know Tesla's answer to the less prickly question of "does Tesla see benefits to removing stalks"

I only gave just two examples, which don't seem to resonate with you, but does seem to plausibly resonate with Tesla:

1. aesthetic minimalism, wherever achievable (even at some functional expense)​
2. preparing the world's expectations of vehicles for a future where the need of such controls is negated by technology (and right or wrong, they could be more bullish than you on timing)​

none of which was to ignore or disagree with the obvious #3 on this list, which is both of the above overlap with and synergize with minimizing manufacturing complexity / parts (ie cost savings)

I wasn't disagreeing that #3 was on the list, only suggesting that Tesla could have some other items on the list (whether you agree with their list or not)

though i did mention that when it comes to "drive direction stalks" i have some empathy for Tesla's apparent position here: people should only be indicating direction before they turn the steering wheel (only counter example I can think of is when stopped at a stop sign, and a last minute decision is made to turn the opposite direction than initially intended)

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Not singing praise of that triangle in the front. But visibility in comparable trucks is much worse.

The cliff face front popular on many models of truck makes many pedestrians, motorcycles, and even small cars completely invisible.
The visibility in an old Defender at least is way better! Narrower A pillars and more vertical make the view easier. Plus you can place that to the millimetre when parking :)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I agree, from the pictures that area looks way too big to be a phone charger area. Of course photos can skew things so difficult to tell.
no need to wonder what that it looks like or why it's designed that way - its analogue has been around in Tesla designs for over 10 years

Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! 2012-tesla-model-s-interior-e1461078643225

Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! AACBg%2feSFSoEYyPNc%2fs1600%2f2012-tesla-model-s_3

Tesla Cybertruck Leaked interior Cybertruck photo! 1685129704778

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
There are occasions where your goal is to cram as many bodies into the truck as possible.

I’ve gotten 8 people and 7 bikes on my Tundra. That was 7 people in the cab, 1 in the bed, along with 3 bikes in the bed and 4 on a rack. Saved us about an hour going up the mountain a second time to get the other vehicle.

It’s not often, even for me, but having that option for a couple times a year would be super nice.

laughs don't do that in texas.. it is illegal here for peeps to ride in the bed of a truck... in fact it is ONLY legal in 21 states.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
I was hoping for a heads-up display that can be turned on or off/flipped up or down. You’ve got tons of space on that dash for it. At least allow the center screen to pivot or rotate based on your seating position.
Sponsored