Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

Will the CyberTruck be your First Tesla and/or Electric Vehicle?

• Total voters

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
This will be my first EV vehicle. I was attracted by the technology, and the man behind the vision, Elon Musk. I love him standing up to the idgit politcians in California, and his belief our economy is most important. I don't believe in global warming, I'm not anti-oil, I live in Texas, but I know a great invention when I see it. Elon is the Thomas Edison of our time, and I can't wait to read a book as I travel the great distances of the most glorious country in the world... TEXAS! ?
Sponsored

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
YES. The CT will be my first electric. I have driven a Prius hybrid for several year and like it.' It is SLOW. The CT is FAST. How can I not like something both faster and more responsible?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, will this be your first foray into Electric Vehicles?
Well, my famlly had a golf cart for 35 years, and I repaired it.
I also own a Zero motorcycle!

Your First Tesla?
Yes.
If you have not owned a Tesla, have you ever tried a Tesla?
I rented a performance S for my spouse from GSDrides in Boston. It was kind of scam; I wanted her to see how they could perform to ease her into buying one. She drove a road trip to New Jersey and New Hampshire and back to Boston in two days.
I've ridden with friends who have Model 3s. It was nice!

What are the EV specific features that most excite you?
Not wasting power as heat when braking!

What are the Tesla specific features that most excite you?
Charging network. Autopilot.

I kinda hope for features they haven't committed to, like camp solar, vehicle to house, midgate, and tread/blindspot cameras.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I also own a Zero motorcycle!
Which model? Do you like it? I am considering replacing my 10 year old cruiser style motorcycle. I have test rode a few models, but being a tall, big guy, just wish the frame and ergonomics were a bit bigger in scale & size. I can ride it, but feel a bit cramped. Luckily my height helps me out on their taller models, but still not sure.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Which model? Do you like it? I am considering replacing my 10 year old cruiser style motorcycle. I have test rode a few models, but being a tall, big guy, just wish the frame and ergonomics were a bit bigger in scale & size. I can ride it, but feel a bit cramped. Luckily my height helps me out on their taller models, but still not sure.
I have a used Zero S, it's a 2014 and has lost less than 10% of range (well within the error tolerance). I love it! It's my first motorcycle. Gets me anywhere in the county at about 400mpg-e.

Zero doesn't have anything like a Cruiser, but their easiest posture bikes are the DS (and DSR) and the SR/S. The SR/ is their new platform (FST I think they call it) while the old platform like mine is SDS. It's significantly faster than mine, and has a longer range. Easily get from Oakland to Santa Cruz on the new bike. And the SR/F is probably too cramped for a taller guy. The S platform is just straight up smaller than the F. It's not toy like, like some 300-400cc bikes, tho, that's something I like about it.

Zeros are meant for commuting, pretty regular use like errands, but not alot of miles in a day. A trip out to somewhere there's a charger maybe (I'll go to San Jose and charge to get back) but not road trips. The F-platform bikes seem comfy on the freeways, but they don't have CCS charging like the Energicas. Zeros are much cheaper maintenance and lighter weight, though.

-Crissa

DrDefore

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with all the enthusiasm.. points well made and taken.. We’ve been driving a BMW i3 for 3 years and will never go back to an ICE. The cyber truck completes the fleet. We couldn’t wait for the 3 but will anxiously await this electric truck marvel from Tesla.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Zeros are meant for commuting, pretty regular use like errands, but not alot of miles in a day. A trip out to somewhere there's a charger maybe (I'll go to San Jose and charge to get back) but not road trips. The F-platform bikes seem comfy on the freeways, but they don't have CCS charging like the Energicas. Zeros are much cheaper maintenance and lighter weight, though.

-Crissa
Thanks for the info!
If I had more time and motivation, I would just find a larger cruiser with a bad engine and convert it to electric...

Eventually someone will realize that larger people would like electric motorcycles as well.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Previous electric vehicle?

For many years I had an Electrac, a garden tractor powered by six 6-v deep-discharge batteries. (The 36-volt implements included a front mower or snowblower, and a plug-in drill, chainsaw, and welder.) Quite the machine for four decades back; sorry that GE discontinued it.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Reading through the forum, I notice a lot of comments that suggest some posters are not familiar with many of the features of existing Tesla models. This made me curious as to how many of you future CyberTruck owners that this will be your First Tesla or EV.

So, will this be your first foray into Electric Vehicles? Your First Tesla? If you have not owned a Tesla, have you ever tried a Tesla?

What are the EV specific features that most excite you?

What are the Tesla specific features that most excite you?
First electric vehicle? Depends. Does a battery-assisted bicycle count as one?

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
As long as it stays very, very close to its prototype, then yes, but if it deviates or takes too long then CIAO!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
This will be my second. My first was a TYCO remote controlled Lamborghini, at the time billed as the fastest RC car on the market. She's a beauty, and on my last trip home my mother showed me it's still there, preserved in a nice plastic vacuumed bag with all the parts. She figured my son might like to try it out. My only concern will be the battery pack...

Which got me thinking, how modern EV's are just extensions of RC cars. Even the battery pack bundle of smaller cells looks similar. Weird how now we can drive ourselves around in a battery-powered ride.

The CT will be my first EV. I test drove a Jag i-Pace at a work conference and wow, I was sold. Not so much on the Jag, as it's expensive but has ergonomic flaws, weak range, etc. But I loved the tech, the modern feel. It was a new experience. My Challenger is relatively new as a '17, and it's well optioned with a good infotainment system and it's worked extremely well since purchase. I can't say enough about the quality. It gets thumbs ups from kids and "nice car!"'s from drive through workers. Any other car I've driven since it came home has mostly felt inferior in one way or another. But returning to it after the Jag EV really made it feel dated for the first time. I felt dirty. I took a long shower. She's carried my kids for crying out loud! But I could see the day was coming when it would be time to trade her for a newer model...

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We’ve been driving a BMW i3 for 3 years and will never go back to an ICE.
How do we reconcile this man's comment (with which, of course, I enthusiastically agree) with the fact that fewer than 1 in 5, presumably, enthusiasts who responded to this poll and only about 1% of the US population drive BEVs?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Owned FORD Think. Great taking kids to school or nieghbors back home down the block. No further… too slow, too limited range <18mi.

It taught how range dominates use and PoS electrical ends use. Regardless the fun factor you buy range on first principles. Otherwise you own an expensive toy in your driveway. Hence the tri-CT, but would BUY Sgl-CT RWD If range were equal, just on KISS philosophy.

CT RWD is designed to get into 97% of places you would want to go in USA. Dual buys you 1.5% more places. Tri-CT buys you .5% more you probably shouldn’t go but you get 2X range over Sgl- CT RWD so best all-around choice.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
CT RWD is designed to get into 97% of places you would want to go in USA. Dual buys you 1.5% more places. Tri-CT buys you .5% more you probably shouldn’t go but you get 2X range over Sgl- CT RWD so best all-around choice.
Taking at face value that the RWD with its range of 250 miles gets you to 97% of the places you need to go the 4WD version with its range of 250 would get you to 151% and the TriMotor with 500 mil range would get you to 606%. Or put another way the 500 mile range gives you access to 6.25 times as many places as the RWD. It's also interesting to think about the fact that it makes 6 times as many chargers accessible.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Taking at face value that the RWD with its range of 250 miles gets you to 97% of the places you need to go the 4WD version with its range of 250 would get you to 151% and the TriMotor with 500 mil range would get you to 606%. Or put another way the 500 mile range gives you access to 6.25 times as many places as the RWD. It's also interesting to think about the fact that it makes 6 times as many chargers accessible.
Nice take! My comment fails the USA context in the main. it will be the exception in the U.S. where a Tesla is forced to out and back on a single charge.

I’m such a gearhead. It’s my 4x4 centric ICE PoV that determines places I want to go - still. Places that are mostly about clearance, roads, water cross and range are just in a concentric circle drawn on a map. I’ll need map charger locations in U.S..

97% places I need to go fall within a 125mi. range. 3% places truly require 4x4 within that circle. I avg 30k mi/yr. I range widely MX,FL,desert to mountains. Ok, FL was an outlier trip last year.

Dual CT extra 50mi. range is irrelevant in my world. It’s irrelevant due to running 2 motors which I count sucking some of that 50 mile extra range out of the battery. Just the same, I trust Tesla Dual battery is adding range somehow. At end of day, Dual CT 50mi. extra is no BFD. It is 4x4 that is the star of that show. That buys me places I wouldn’t get back into with only RWD (hello Coyote Canyon). Your data points on charging stations apply. I’d have never thought in charger-terms. Very critical data in USA.

Tri-CT 2x range buys me 250mi range (out and back) worst case scenario. The charger station data points are valid. USA Mohave desert charge locations alone extends range so it truly approaches 660%.

I need to use 125mi. range here in Panama, I will be on my own without charge stations. That’s the PoV granularity I live with. Thanks for the catch!
Sponsored